Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abuse of the CF Label in HuffPo Article

Posted by jezebel_daisy 
Abuse of the CF Label in HuffPo Article
July 17, 2015
HuffPo has an article/video with women boo-hooing about being infertile. The title of the article is "When Being Child Free Isn't a Choice". Sigh. Bitch - you are CHILDLESS. Not child free. I'm sick of the mis-use of our CF label and all these people trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Some comments are calling this out but the boo-hoo crowd is chiming in with "I will call myself that if I wanna!!" or the old "child free is a mean term! Being "free" of kids isn't a good thing!".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/when-being-childfree-isnt-a-choice_55a7b76be4b0896514d06674
Re: Abuse of the CF Label in HuffPo Article
July 17, 2015
Damn it, when it's an article about childfree people, they always say "childless" or "childless by choice." Meanwhile, when it's an article about wannabreeds, it's called "childfree."

I think they do it on purpose because they don't want to say that "childfree" is a GOOD thing. The suffix "free" gives the impression that someone is without something bad/inconvenient, like cancer-free, smoke-free, drug-free, etc. So to say childfree indicates that children are bad, and while that is true to varying degrees for the CF (as in some like kids, some don't, but none of us want any), I don't think society can handle any publication saying outright that, yes, some people fuckin' hate kids and they are happy with their choice.

Meanwhile, referring to childless infertiles as "childfree, not by choice" makes it sound like being without kids is a bad thing, which, for these people, it is. I think the term swapping also happens because "childless" sounds more voluntary, but "childfree" does not. Childfree sounds more tragic when used in reference to barren wanna-breeders, but childless sounds more uplifting when used to describe CFers because it sounds more hopeful and more like they might change their minds after all.

When someone in the comments tries to explain the difference, one moron responds with this:

Idiot
i want them and don't have any, I prefer the term "childfree" to "childless" as it has a negative connotation to it. At least to me it does.

Well fuck you! You don't get to wave someone else's flag just because the term used to describe you hurts your peewins. That's like a bisexual woman saying she's a "straight lesbian" because she doens't like how the term "bisexual" sounds. I'm sure for-real lesbians with zero interest in men would have a problem with that. The moron below that one says this:

Idiot 2
"Childless" is a perfectly respectable word and is accute in these cases. It means you wanted children but did not/could not have them, and reflects the sorrow which the women obviously feel. I LOATHE the word "childfree" because, like all "-free" suffixes, it implies that the condition is something negative from which you are happily delivered: "bugfree," "worry-free," "trouble-free," "childfree." I feel sympathy for women who are childless. "Child-free"? Not so much.

I know I'm splitting hairs, but I'm one of the people who does take issue when "childless" and "childfree" are used interchangeably or incorrectly. I do not want to be lumped in with the moaning, barren masses of wanna-Moos who think the worst thing in life is not being knocked up.
July 17, 2015
I am happily delivered from the burden of children. That's why I'm childFREE. I am not "childless by choice" because my life is not lessened by the lack of replicants.

I just had three days off work in a row and I spent them doing what I wanted and needed to do and not dealing with children on summer vacation. I'm quite free.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
July 17, 2015
Children ARE inconvenient, though -- that's just a fact of life for those who chose them!

For some, however, the positives outweigh the negatives, but that doesn't mean the negatives don't exist.

The constant demands, school projects, et cetera, only scratch the surface.

A few years back, a couple of family members took their baby on vacation with them to another country. Guess what the "precious little bundle of joy" had to do? Yep -- it "conveniently" had a diaper explosion on the flight. LOL!

What's so awful about calling a spade what it is? We are not dehumanizing kids or wishing them harm -- we're just being honest -- from our POV, at least. It's entirely possible to be genuine without being hurtful.

Is there no middle ground in that you either love kids or hate them?
July 17, 2015
On a scan read - this looks to be a Butthurt Bingo Extravaganza!

popcorn and jerry springer signjerry

I'm saving this for my house cleaning breaks tomorrow thumbs upwink

popcorn and jerry springer signjerry
July 20, 2015
It looks like they're removing coments. Can they do this, since the comment section is through Failbook?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
Anonymous User
July 21, 2015
Seriously, people being offended at the term 'child-free'? Grow up ffs.

My inlaws read the Daily Fail and I often get 'treated' to tales about their columnists , one of whom has to be the most bitter cow on the face of this earth. She couldn't have kids cause she left it too late and was massively bitter about it only to do a 180 and declare herself CF and start whining about breeders, mostly cause she's jelly. Yeah thanks alot, make everyone think the CF are bitter, dried up old hags. Fuck u very much.

Sorry, rant. I've had to stop the inlaws telling me this stuff because I think I'll end up with an embolism through sheer rage :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login