Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yeah, well, maybe they don't want to see you either

Posted by Dorisan 
Yeah, well, maybe they don't want to see you either
November 28, 2015
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a60241576/i_want_to_spend_any_future_holidays_without_my_inlaws_long_rant

Five kids and another about to belly burst. Moo seems dumb enough to believe her MIL's assurances that she enjoys seeing the grandkids, so they make the 500 mile (round?) trip there multiple times per year. Visiting relative decides it's better to stay away from the noisy herd, remaining on the upper story with his dog (whom the Moo declares is "stupid" and bites). Moo and similarly butt-hurt DuH decide to pack up and make a dramatic flounce.

Something tells me that the grandparents will wave to them sadly, then break into a happy dance once they're around the corner.
Re: Yeah, well, maybe they don't want to see you either
November 28, 2015
Does it never occur to these people that maybe there is something THEY did that drove them off? Really, familiar expectations are stupid. My mother's cousin used to talk garbage to my mother, told her she was making a mistake homeschooling me, raised me wrong etc. Now that I have moved out and stopped talking to 90% of my family, they wonder why and have labeled me antisocial {nevermind that I show no disregard for the law}. Sorry to rant. The bottom line is that if people have had enough with being treated a certain way, they have the rigjt to avoid the people upsetting them. It's not anantisocial, it's self care.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
November 29, 2015
"We have 5 kids so yes they will make noise."

I'm a MOOOO and I'm fucking lazy to discipline them, it's everyone else's fault if they are annoyed by the noise.

favorite comment:

"You can build a base of loving intimacy with your husband and children (six!) that can carry them forward in a healthy way into adulthood."

Nothing spells intimacy like having six kids around you all the time. Nothing.
November 30, 2015
She complains about the BIL's dog...he's keeping it upstairs for everyone's safety! One would think she'd be grateful that he's limiting where the dog goes and isn't letting the bitey dog around her kids.

Methinks there's more going on with the grandparents than she lets on. Possibilities I see:
1. The herd of grandkids is overwhelming and/or ill-behaved
2. They asked the kids and grandkids to visit only out of sense of obligation
3. The grandparents asked them to visit, but wasn't expecting to have to put them up. Maybe that's why BIL was permitted to bring the dog.

Some people seem to like having lots of people around during the holidays. If that's this family's M.O., then with six kids they'll always have enough people around for that, built-in. They can have their own traditions at home. It'll likely do the in-laws a favor.

Chances are the in-laws won't visit them, either.
December 01, 2015
randomcfchick

Some people seem to like having lots of people around during the holidays. If that's this family's M.O., then with six kids they'll always have enough people around for that, built-in. They can have their own traditions at home. It'll likely do the in-laws a favor.

The holidays and their "obligations" inflict a significant amount of emotional and financial stress upon some people. My guess is that everyone reaches a breaking point with famblee members telling them what they should be doing, who they should be visiting, what they should be giving, how much they should be spending, how long they should be visiting, etc. etc.
December 02, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
randomcfchick

The holidays and their "obligations" inflict a significant amount of emotional and financial stress upon some people. My guess is that everyone reaches a breaking point with famblee members telling them what they should be doing, who they should be visiting, what they should be giving, how much they should be spending, how long they should be visiting, etc. etc.
Yep. Not having kids makes it a helluva lot easier to sidestep much of the chaos though. I know people who have so much standing tension over grandkids.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login