Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bleeding Hearts at Christmas

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Bleeding Hearts at Christmas
December 08, 2006
It's the holiday gift grab time here at my company. This magical time of year, the email goes out and all the bleeding hearts, er, I mean suckers, er, caring people at my company purchase gifts for needy famblees at Christmas. I am just amazed how people are sucked into this. The office that is collecting the stuff is FILLED. I mean FILLED to the point where you cannot walk in the door. And the gift grab doesn't happen for another 10 days yet.
GreenGrass
Re: Bleeding Hearts at Christmas
December 08, 2006
On a similar note, I got an email from a local organization that services the homeless population here in Houston - I was told that you can "adopt" a single adult who needs just some basic necessities for the holidays. What a cool and unique idea!
December 08, 2006
Me too, I'm all for helping the homeless, the elderly, and especially, animals - and anyone else who needs a helping hand temporarily while they are down on their luck.

I am NOT for buying things for people who had kids when they could not afford to support them. Career breeders who pump them out with no reliable means of support.
CFScorpio
December 08, 2006
GreenGrass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a similar note, I got an email from a local
> organization that services the homeless population
> here in Houston - I was told that you can "adopt"
> a single adult who needs just some basic
> necessities for the holidays. What a cool and
> unique idea!

Really? That is a great idea and I'd love to support that! Please send me the info or post it to our No Kidding! group. I bet they'd like to participate.

I don't give to Toys 4 Tots anymore because the kids are so damn greedy. They want Playstations, bikes, DVD players...stuff I can't afford.
Giselle
December 08, 2006
In the UK the Salvation Army and Shelter and similar organisations open up various venues in towns and cities all over the country and provide a Christmas Dinner, warmth and clothing to the homeless and the needy. I think they also do it on Boxing Day (26th December and the New Year)

This way they are not alone at Christmas and holiday time. They have done that for very many years.
Anonymous User
December 08, 2006
The local TV news around here is usually very breeder-pleasing about sprog charities and shit. But I caught a breath of fresh air on the Channel 7 news last night. The MSPCA had a fund-raising shindig, which was hosted by one of the Channel 7 anchors. They are raising money for a fund which helps pet owners pay for veterinary care that they might not be able to afford otherwise. They said on the news that if you donate, you can send in a pic of your own pet, and they will make it into an ornament for one of their Christmas trees, to honor all donors.

Maybe I will send a donation for each of my nine cats!

I was just happy to see that something besides a sprog charity was covered on the news!
Andy
December 08, 2006
I was about to start a topic for this...our office is 'helping' three families this year-while one of them I do feel badly for (dad has been in the hospital and unable to work for a year, while mom works full time, takes care of her husband and child, pays all the bills and has no money or time left for Christmas for their one child), the other two are classic examples of bad family planning-both single moms with multiple children (five in one case, ranging in age from 7-17, the 17 year old with a baby of her own). Come on-if you can't afford them, don't have them! Pretty simple concept, no?

Just once, I'd love for our office to offer an alternate charity (such as the animal care one) at the holidays, for those of us who are giving, but who don't want to support another person's poor life choices.
Giselle
December 09, 2006
O support a hospice instead of sending Christmas cards which only create more rubbish to be re-cycled anyway there are now many more in the office deciding to do the same instead of buying cards for everyone in the office and then the time spent writing them out and evening choosing which card is suitable for which member of staff is a nightmare to some. a bonus is the office is less cluttered up.

I simply send one email saying which hospice I am supporting and wishing them best wishes for the Festive Season as some people are touchy about saying Merry Christmas these days, its not politically correct to some people.
December 09, 2006
The holidays bring out the "jerk" in a lot of people! I am glad there are not toy drives at my place of work. I would like to participate in the book drive at Barnes & Noble. I am always glad to help children who want to read. That is my soft spot because kids who ask for reading material are usually not greedy. The first security site I worked, there was one of those lists for "needy" kids in the 6000 Bldg Breakroom. Let me tell you all how stunned I was when I saw stuff listed from these kids like Liz Claiborne purses, Tommy Hilfiger perfume, portable CD players, Game Boys, etc., etc., etc...

Now for another issue...

One of my stepbrothers was a jerk to my mom. My mother does love to buy gifts because she loves all of us. She does not expect anything in return. In fact, she always tells me to just get her a card but, of course, I want to get Mom something as always. One of my stepbrothers claims he and his wife are having money problems and demanded NO presents as they will not give. I guess living on $7,000 per month is so hard after being used to ten grand. Boo-Effing-HOO! :bawl I know I am being petty but I am a bit ticked because it is true.

Mom already bought some nice but simple gifts. I was a b*tch and said to give the presents to them anyway. I was wrong to push my views regardless of how offended I was at "their" behaviour toward her. My mom should not be put in a weird situation even though she truly wants to give a present and wants NOTHING in return. I also suggested to my mother to keep the stuff in case people at work give presents. That way, she will have things for them since she does not always know who is going to give on the job.

I'm sorry I sort of hijacked the thread with my issues...

"FUCK WORK"
December 09, 2006
I have given things to Toys for Tots, but not on my nickle. They are stuffed animals that I've gotten as gifts as an adult and have no sentimental value and it pretty good condition. I do this more to avoid clutter. At work we also have a Salvation Army sponsored charity to help needy kids. Honestly, I have never participated and don't have a clue what kind of things are being asked. I particpated once about two years ago in getting gifts for needy kids from two after-school programs, but they were specifically asked to write a letter to Santa asking for clothes with their sizes and no toys. Along with the letter was a photo and we personally delivered the wrapped gifts to the kids and met them and had punch and cookies and played games. I sponsored 3 kids. One kid wanted a red sweater, another kid wanted a pair of gloves and a t-shirt and another one wanted multi-colored t-shirts. I bought these stuff at K-mart and Target. The one kid I gave gloves was very happy and apperently the kid did not have any gloves!! I spent about $50. Needless to say it was a good expereince, but my last one. I agree with the folks who commented that they are against giving to charities to these idiot breeders who can't afford not even a $5 pair of gloves for their kid! You live and learn!
Anonymous User
December 09, 2006
We don't have a charity bin at work, but there is one in the leasing office where I live. When I went in there to pay my rent, they were literally bullying people to donate. All of the donations go to people living in the complex. Normally I wouldn't have any problem with this, but the kids in my complex are mostly gun- toting gangbangers, or wannabe gangbangers.

A neighbor and I were joking about getting some crack pipes, rolling them up in wife beaters, and wrapping them in aluminum foil. We figured they could buy their own baking soda, since most of them get food stamps anyway.

I think I'll donate to the local homeless shelter, instead. Those people really are needy, and all they're asking for is warm clothing, shoes and blankets.
BillyC
December 10, 2006
Gave money this year to animal shelters, Planned Parenthood and a local art museum.

I won't support irresponsible breeding by buying shit for the fucking brats. They have moos and duhds for that and if they can't afford some cheap plastic shit, it's not my problem.
Anonymous User
December 11, 2006
BillyC Wrote:
> Gave money this year to animal shelters, Planned
> Parenthood and a local art museum.
>
> I won't support irresponsible breeding by buying
> shit for the fucking brats. They have moos and
> duhds for that and if they can't afford some cheap
> plastic shit, it's not my problem.

I feel the same as you do, Billy. I consider most sprog gift-grab charities to be *breeder-enablers*. Since the serial welfare rabbit breeders know they exist, they figure that they can just keep shitting out more kids, and get all manner of free shit for them every year.

I do realize that there are some families who honestly fall upon hard times (such as a job loss, illness), and can use a *hand-up*. I wouldn't mind donating something if I knew for it would go to one of those families, where the kids would actually appreciate it, and not see it as their due. But even so, I still think these parents should explain to the sprogs that no, Daddy got laid off, times are tough, and you won't be getting a PlayStation. They need to learn that life ain't always fair.

But the serial breeders, who likely ask for help every year from the these same charities, tend to ruin it for the ones who truly do have a need. That's why I really hate to give them ANYTHING!

And don't even get me going about those fucking *angel trees* where the kids are asking for iPods and PlayStations. Does anyone actually BUY any of this for these sprogs?

I'll stick to my animal charities.
CFScorpio
December 12, 2006
Giselle Wrote:

> I simply send one email saying which hospice I am
> supporting and wishing them best wishes for the
> Festive Season as some people are touchy about
> saying Merry Christmas these days, its not
> politically correct to some people.

It's not that it isn't "politically correct" (a term people really like to overuse these days). It's that not everyone celebrates Xmas. Some celebrate Hannukah, Yule, the Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, etc. or whatever Muslim holiday falls around that time. Not everyone in the world is an Xtian, and not every non-Xtian likes to be wished a Merry Xmas. How would most Xtians like it if I went around wishing all of them a Happy Hannukah? I bet most would be puzzled and some would even be annoyed. So it's more about mutual respect.
December 12, 2006
but christmas, in the UK is just a term, its a broad category now, not meaning christs mass, but xmas.. some people beleive in saturnalia, some in hannuka.. but we all celebrate chirstmas. which is a non denominational thing in this country.

i have some jewish friends and some muslim friends.. they celebrate xmas..

thye send cards out.. at least in the UK it is.. i say xmas should be about people, whatever the name. so what if someone calls it seasons greetings, or even elephant on fire day.. so long as the meaning remains.. charity to your fellow human.. people confude words with reality, church with christianity.

a word is just that, and it means whatever you want it to mean.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
December 12, 2006
In the US, certian segments of our predominantly christian society seem to think that expressing any other sentiment beyond "Merry Christmas" as an "attack" on them, their god and their holiday celebration. Yes, most people of all faiths celebrate christmas, however to wish someone a Happy Holidays or whatever, should be equally as acceptable considering that yes indeed, there are people who do not celebrate christmas, and that there are scads of year end/year beginning holidays at this time. Indeed, I would assume that a real christian wouldn't be a proponet of the commericalization of their deeply held spiritual beliefs and might actually not be into folks like Bill O'riley forcing retail establishments to use the phrase "merey christmas" in order to avoid bad press/boycots so they can keep using this holiday as their money making scheme.

I generally say "Happy Holidays" in the hopes of running into one of these "I'm so oppressed" majorities and cheesing them off. But, as I've said before, I'm an asshole that way.
December 12, 2006
we dont seem to have that kind of thing here, possibly its a cultural thing,

but then again we dont have the really rabid religious nuts in charge of the asylum.. i say xmas, meaning everything. so if i say it, i mean everything.. as here i am used to the non denominational time of year.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sherz
December 13, 2006
It's been my experience that no one is less charitable than moos with money! We have a toys-for-snots drive at my school each year. The teachers usually always bring in several items each. (I usually give books or board games) The kids from higher income families usually bring nothing in, but the kids from lower income families (the ones that you think should be receiving the toys we collect) usually always bring something in. I hate spoiled rich kids, but I hate their rude, uncharitable parents even more!
December 16, 2006
GreenGrass Wrote:
> On a similar note, I got an email from a local
> organization that services the homeless population
> here in Houston - I was told that you can "adopt"
> a single adult who needs just some basic
> necessities for the holidays. What a cool and
> unique idea!

What is the name of this organization? There should be more like it!

I give to animal organizations and serve Thanksgiving and Christmas lunches at an adult homeless shelter. I am forced to give part of my pay (in taxes) to support welfare rabbits and will not willingly give anything to those bums.
Anonymous User
December 17, 2006
Gah, the "Christmas is for the children" shit has to stop! There are other people who need things on the holidays and buying a new toy for some kid to toss in a corner fifteen minutes later just doesn't top the list.

I wish more people would think about the elderly over the holidays.

My boyfriend has been volunteering at a nearby Veteran's home for years, and has become close with several of the residents. One of the gentlemen who he's particularily friendly with doesn't have any family, and another has two adult children who are too busy with their own kids and grandkids to bother with him. These men have become like family to both of us and for the past few years we've invited both of them to our house for Christmas Eve. They're happy to have people to spend the holiday with, and having them really adds to our celebration. We eat dinner (they tease my boyfriend for helping prepare the meal) play cards, one of the men brings his violin, and we just have a good time. It's also a breath of fresh air for us, knowing the next day will be spent being bingo'd by our families, and stumbling over bratty nieces, nephews, and cousins. We also participate in events at the home such as reading, and singing Christmas carols.

The animal shelter I volunteer at also has a big program in December to educate people on what owning a pet entails and why they shouldn't be given as gifts. We also collect and give out pet food for people struggling to care for their animals, and work with vets in the area to offer alterations (wish we could do this for people!) and veterinary care for little to no cost.

The way we see it, there are enough programs out there collecting for greedy little kids and their irresponsible parents--we want to help somewhere where it's really needed.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2006
As a Christian, I'm perfectly fine if someone wishes me Happy Chanukah, Eid Mubarek, or whatever else applies to them; just because I am of one religion doesn't mean I don't have a great respect for the others. But, I also don't like secular "Christmas." It's not CHRISTmas. It totally has nothing to do with Christ other than the date, and people telling me I can't mention the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place while they're putting up their trees and writing their letters to Santa Claus and their Christmas cards...a little screwed up to me. Frankly I'd like to see CHRISTmas go back to being Christian and let the secular holiday get a new name, Santamas or something maybe.

Anyway, that rant over.

I'm not big on donating to children's charities. As I think I've said before, it's not that I don't feel sorry for needy kids--after all, usually the situation they're in isn't their fault. However, it's not like every other person in the world won't be falling all over themself to donate to kiddie charities so I dont' feel bad that I don't.

I usually try to take a tag off the Sharing Tree every year; sometimes it's for a kid, sometimes not. I pick a tag that really speaks to me as the one I want to help with. This year I did pick a tag for a kid; she wanted art supplies. Being the artsy type, I could definitely get behind that. (it was a hard choice between that one and a guy who wanted a blanket, but finally the art supplies won out) However, usually my giving goes toward those who are hungry or in some other way lacking, or to animals, or to the arts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login