Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dumbing down classic games for the kids

Posted by herbalgeek 
Dumbing down classic games for the kids
July 29, 2016
My bf and I are kids at heart and we went to buy some board games. We were pissed that the makers of these games took the classic board games and fucked them up to the point that they took all the fun out of it. I get that companies try to keep up with the times, but these new games really suck. They make them too easy I guess so that "everyone's a winner". God forbid some special snowflake loses a game. Why do they have to fuck with the original? I remember when these games used to be challenging. First world problems, I know, but what a disappointment.
Re: Dumbing down classic games for the kids
July 29, 2016
I get all my board games from the 2nd hand shop. As long as all the pieces are there, they are a steal. It sounds like kids are getting dumber and the companies know that. I pity the next generation.
July 29, 2016
mumofsixbirds
I pity the next generation.

I know.. the game of LIFE is fantasy and is meant for ages 8 to adult.... but we always have fun with it (I have both the 1974 and 1984 versions) Someone got me the new version a few months ago. On the front of the box it said "The kids have spoken"
It was full of these crappy cards that are full of these fantasy things that are no part of real life. Me and my adult friends who love playing the older version tried to play it. Lasted 10 minutes and we packed it up and got out the 1984 version. Why do they have to mess with stuff? When I read through the directions later I found that there are no winners or loosers. The point is to see how many fantasy situations you can create for yourself and the other players. Well.. I guess that's LIFE in this day and age.
July 29, 2016
Losing is fun! ~ ..... For you dwarf fortress geeks.
July 29, 2016
I just don't know about the future with all this 'everyone must have a trophy' mindset. Part of growing up means learning to loose gracefully. Then these kyds grow up and loose out on something...or someone goes over them in job promotion and they get 'hurt pweelins'
It's the wussification of the younger generations.
July 30, 2016
starlady
I just don't know about the future with all this 'everyone must have a trophy' mindset. Part of growing up means learning to loose gracefully. Then these kyds grow up and loose out on something...or someone goes over them in job promotion and they get 'hurt pweelins'

Yeah, I read the Amazon reviews for the new version of LIFE and I am apparently not the only one that is pissed that they changed it. Those action cards are the dumbest idea ever. And the new Operation has the holes so big that you don't even need the tweezers to take the parts out. Half the fun with the original was the buzzer when you tried to take the pieces out and hit the sides with the tweezers.

Are today's kids really this fucking fragile that they can't handle a goddamn buzzer or landing on a loser spot in the game of LIFE? Can they not have fun without being attached to a smartphone or a video console? I really don't know if companies realize this but they are alienating a lot of the older people that want to take a trip down to memory lane. My grandmother had this board game called Uncle Wiggily and that game has to be now about 100 years old. My bf and I played on a Scrabble Deluxe board that was copyrighted in the 1940s.

My games arrived from Amazon. My bf is going to be thrilled when he gets home!
July 31, 2016
Also, I can't imagine board games hold much mass appeal to a generation, which has had hypermanic, overstimulating, electronic tablet and phone games shoved in their grubby mitts the second they come out.

After all, what appeal has waiting your turn, rolling the dice, moving a set number of steps and possibly losing, over a flashy, noisy, animated, instantly gratifying and everybody-wins-and-ego-stroked game?!? Hell, they don't even require any skill apart from mashing the screen with their filthy sausage-digits (This was evidenced when I saw a coffee-shop moo and duh hand their loaf an phone to play a game, and it couldn't even talk - but shriek).
August 01, 2016
My theory: they're trying to get kids who've grown up with cheat codes to play actual games where there's no easy way out. Because the kids aren't used to concentrating or sticking with it, they lose interest in traditional board games. Shame.
August 01, 2016
My 50 and 60 something friends and I have a BLAST playing the older version of life. It's a riot. Just silly enough to take our minds off of real life for a while. If ya have to be sent back, or pay tolls or fines...so what. It's a freekin GAME. I just can't believe that kyds are so sensitive now days. Real life is gonna bit 'em in the butt.
August 01, 2016
herbalgeek
starlady

Yeah, I read the Amazon reviews for the new version of LIFE and I am apparently not the only one that is pissed that they changed it. Those action cards are the dumbest idea ever. And the new Operation has the holes so big that you don't even need the tweezers to take the parts out. Half the fun with the original was the buzzer when you tried to take the pieces out and hit the sides with the tweezers.

Are today's kids really this fucking fragile that they can't handle a goddamn buzzer or landing on a loser spot in the game of LIFE? Can they not have fun without being attached to a smartphone or a video console? I really don't know if companies realize this but they are alienating a lot of the older people that want to take a trip down to memory lane. My grandmother had this board game called Uncle Wiggily and that game has to be now about 100 years old. My bf and I played on a Scrabble Deluxe board that was copyrighted in the 1940s.

My games arrived from Amazon. My bf is going to be thrilled when he gets home!

Children have to be TAUGHT how to loose gracefully. Many parents just don't want to put in the effort.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 01, 2016
starlady
If ya have to be sent back, or pay tolls or fines...so what. It's a freekin GAME. I just can't believe that kyds are so sensitive now days. Real life is gonna bit 'em in the butt.

I don't know if they* know this, but there are tolls and fines in REAL LIFE. Taxes, Medicare, and social security are cut from everyone's check, and no, you don't always get it back. The social security pool will be empty by the time I am old enough to retire, but I digress. How can you criticize a game called "life" for simulating actual life?

*They being the people the game is watered down for. Being young I don't believe all young people are stupid.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
August 02, 2016
This is why some of these games were created.... to teach kids that there are wins and losses in life and they have to get used to it. A teaching tool where the adults teach kids that it's okay to loose sometimes. Suck it up. Builds character. It's a shame that trait is being lost.
August 02, 2016
now i have to go home and kill some zombies with my kiwibeast.
and I do lose rounds ...

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login