Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#2203 - Boomerang Kids

Posted by amethusos* 
#2203 - Boomerang Kids
March 05, 2007
I started a thread on this issue long ago because this is a problem in the US and not just in the UK.

While I do understand how housing is getting more expensive especially in the cities while wages do not go up, these overgrown children are refusing to act like adults. When I went "on my own" and shared a dingy room with another roomie on Van Ness Street, rentals were far from cheap in the San Francisco Bay Area. I earned $5/hourly at a supermarket as a "courtesy clerk" aka bagger. At that time in 1984 right before I turned 20, I felt how earning $6 an hour would be my "Nirvana". In most cases, housing has never been cheap for anyone.

I paid half of the $250 per month to live in the one room where a bathroom was shared by four other tenants. I bought my own food and also paid half of the phone bill. The building paid for the electricity. There was a community kitchen on another floor. I preferred to use the hotplate in the room so I would not have to deal with some of the other tenants. We were lucky to have a fridge in the room. The scary part is how "hypes" (semi-homeless young heroin addicts) would try to piggyback into the place after a tenant buzzed her/himself in to use a bathroom to shoot up. One renter got hit in the head when he confronted these fucks in the building. And...honest to God, there were roaches in that place!

I moved to a better dwelling later but the roommates were worse. The one guy on the lease never told the landlord of more people moving in which meant trouble from Mr. Pappas. So, it was back to Van Ness Street with another roomie. This room was bigger but I got a very small fridge from Sears and took a cab back since I could not carry the thing. I had no car in those days and did not want one! My mom did not like where I lived especially since she and my stepdad had a lovely home in Marin but I was glad to be "on my own" like a real adult. Things got crazy on Van Ness Street (more crime). I did move back home for a very short time but I paid the exact same rent as I did for that room even though the folks did not want to take it.

Today's mollycoddled adults do not want to pay their own way. Some do live with their families for reasons other than not wanting to pay the costs of being an adult and everyone benefits. Many of the Boomerang Generation love the luxury of living at home while spending their pay on cellphones, fancy manicures, expensive clothing, and carrying high car payments. I can imagine the harsh reality when the parents pass on and possibly do not have an inheritance to leave them.
Re: #2203 - Boomerang Kids
March 05, 2007
This sounds like a perfect exampe of Bed. Made. Lie.
You made the kids. You raised them, and if it comes back to bite you in the ass (or wallet) sounds like your own damn fault.
March 05, 2007
Along with boomerangs, kids who only call their parent when they need something are just as bad. These types of brats guilt the divorced parent into sending them money, helping them out, etc. SO has 2 of those. They don't even know he exists except when they need something. Thankfully he's wised up and tells them NO. Rotten ungrateful kids couldn't even call the man and say happy birthday last month. Oh, but his son DID call the day after and asked for $200 to get his car fixed.
March 05, 2007
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with boomerangs, kids who only call their
> parent when they need something are just as bad.
> These types of brats guilt the divorced parent
> into sending them money, helping them out, etc.
> SO has 2 of those. They don't even know he exists
> except when they need something. Thankfully he's
> wised up and tells them NO. Rotten ungrateful
> kids couldn't even call the man and say happy
> birthday last month. Oh, but his son DID call the
> day after and asked for $200 to get his car fixed.

These ingrates also remember to demand everything the parents had as soon as they pass on.

Yes, the boomerang brats also suck.
March 06, 2007
Hey, Feh! Normally, I try not to be too much of a "Bed; Made; Lie..." person since we all have made mistakes in life. I know I have; however, I had to say the same thing to a former friend (an older man) who claimed he was "worried" about me because I had not kids. Why was this man so "worried"? I got the usual Breeder Bingo of "who will take care of me in my old age" routine. I told this man how none of his children will take care of him or his wife.

For one thing, I told him that breeding was the worst financial mistake of his life. One son and daughter-in-law got this man to co-sign for a car. Big mistake! Most of the time, Sonny Boy does not pay the car note which means the bank debits my ex-friend's checking account. Those were the terms of the loan since the son and his wife had such horrible credit. God...I learned my lesson from co-signing a car for my soon-to-be former husband. Don't even ask...yawning smiley

Second, the daughter along with her husband and two kids live at home with R*ch*rd and his wife. Son-in-law does work but puts nothing towards the place. Dumb Ex-Friend thought that buying that larger house for them all would make the "kids" mature. Daughter had a very good job...but like my soon-to-be ex, she quit saying her migraines prevented her from working but she went back to school for her college degree. I know MANY people who work with debilitating headaches!

Of course, it is her FATHER who picks up the kids from school. The daughter cannot do it when she is not at the university because she does not "feel good". This man's wife does all of the housework. Oh...about the son, he is always quitting jobs even though he also has sprogs to support.

I told this guy that he better hope he and the wife J**et remain in good health becaues they are screwed if aging takes hold and they cannot care for themselves. I also made the snide comment of how they will need to worry of who will take care of their kids when their time comes from this life. I know that was a low blow but I am tired of people saying they are worried or feel sorry for me for not breeding.

Living in Marin County made me also see what KFLL mentioned of how the "grown" kids will not remember a parent's birthday but will call for money. Most Marinite young adults do not want to move out of Mommy and Daddio's lovely house and start on their own in an apartment or with roomies. I was sort of an anomaly living in that place on Van Ness Street in SF when the folks had a nice Marin County address. It was cool to be on my own. Also, it taught me that I can survive anywhere in any awful situation if I could live in that place.
March 06, 2007
Anyone who has ever set foot in a retirement home knows for certian that having children does not guarentee one care or even family contact in their old age.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login