Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pet food recall continues to expand

Posted by Feh 
Pet food recall continues to expand
April 20, 2007
Yeah, this isn't childfree specific, but since I know there are a lot of pet owners on here and my cat now must eat prescription cat food due to her kidney failure as a result of this, I figured this would be the best place to make sure this info gets out. Here's a link to a complete list of currently recalled pet food brands, complete with links to what specifically has been recalled.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689821/
Feh, I'm sorry to hear that about your cat. My parents had to throw out all the Mighty Dog they had bought to feed their three dogs due to the contamination (thankfully it appears my dogs' food hasn't hit the list). Hopefully this will bring about greater regulation of the pet food industry.
I'm sorry Feh. I'm praying for your sweet precious kitty.
Re: Pet food recall continues to expand
April 20, 2007
Damn, that's like EVERY possible cat food out there - even the one I buy at the vet's. I am keeping an incredibly paranoid eye on my tiny ones - so far, so good. I hope your sweet kitty will be OK too, Feh.
Anonymous User
April 21, 2007
Aw, Feh, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty.

Thanks for posting the link.
I don't know which petfood is being recalled, but I am opposed to all the dried petfood, Cats and Dogs are carnivorous and do not need dried food it is against their nature.

Also one of my dogs was advised to be fed food from the Vet's - good oh, it had more fat in it than all the others you bought off the shelf in the supermarkets and cost three times the amount. Now I wonder if I am simply being cynical or what, its in the Vets best interests for you all to buy pet food from them.

I give my dogs a varied diet which never included dried food.
Anonymous User
April 22, 2007
My oldest kitty died recently from kidney failure that was supposedly not related to the cat food recall. I'm inclined to believe it because my other 3 are fine and the youngest each ate twice as much as my Pixie.
I always spent more money buying the better,I thought, cat food. I am now feeding them Friskies and even Fancy Feast which they love. I check their website every day to be sure.
Anyone who tries to tell me to feed my animals only dry food is nuts. It is certainly not good for them and I would change vets if they tried to tell me this.
I have had to change vets 3 times in the last few years over various disagreements. I am sure that Science Diet CD killed my tabby in the 90s.
April 23, 2007
I am really sorry about your kitty, Feh. I have a menagerie of two pets in the house now...so I also worry about this stuff.
April 23, 2007
Oh Feh!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, my heart goes out to you!!! I hope she/he is better soon.

My 14+ year old dog is under the care of a holistic vet now because his kidney creatinine is creeping up. I've done a lot of research also, this holistic vet gave me some suggestions you might want to think about.

Cranberry extract, Burdock root, and Horsetail are all awesome to help the kidneys heal and cleanse. My dog takes all 3 of these with some canned food, along with 2 other Chinese herbs that had to be prescribed from the vet. These supplements come in powdered form inside of capsules. For your kitty, you can empty the powdered capsules up in his/her canned prescription food. Give him/her 1 capsule of each in the AM and 1 in the PM to start. After about a week, 1 at his/her favorite eating time will be good for maintenance. Also, give kitty (if she/he will eat it) a few scraps of boiled dark chicken twice a day. Chicken has a very high quality of protein and the kidneys need protein to heal. Too much protein is very bad for the kidneys at any time. Dark meat chicken is lower in phosphorous than light meat - phosphorous is also bad for the kidneys. This was another suggestion from our holistic vet. I boil enough thighs for a few days and keep them in the fridge for my Teddy. Good luck!!!!! =^..^=
April 23, 2007
Thanks guys! My cat is doing much better now that she's on the prescription stuff....now if anyone has any ideas for getting the urine smell out of the carpeting she fouled when she couldn't make it to her box, that'd be great! The Nature's Miracle isn't working like I think it should.

The recall started out with packets of moist food, and I think has now expanded to some dried food and treats as well. It's crazy to see that most companies who are affected are the "better" brands, and sort of cheeses me off to think that I've been spending extra money to buy the "better" food only to find that it's apparently got worse ingredients than the lesser thought of brands. Bastards!
April 23, 2007
Feh, I use something called Simple Solution for when my diabetic Sammy Cat feels entitled to go somewhere other than the litter box to let me know he's not feeling well.

You can get it in any pet store, Target, or on line and it ROCKS. It's a white jug with a red cap. I use it with a little Bissel Spot Lifter and you can't smell anything after it's been cleaned up. Not even my mother with SuperNose can smell it.

Simple Solution is also good for cleaning up those occasional spots of cat yak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login