Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Excellent Article On Spoiled Brats

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Excellent Article On Spoiled Brats
July 03, 2007
Here is an article from my home town newspaper. Very well written. I think the most important point the writer makes is that kids hit the peak in life too soon. I never thought of that but it would certainly make sense.

http://www.republicanherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18545067&BRD=2626&PAG=461&dept_id=532624&rfi=6
Re: Excellent Article On Spoiled Brats
July 05, 2007
This was a very good article. Most young adults cannot seem to function once they are out of high school or college because adult privileges have been bestowed upon them too soon. I actually had a wise young friend in my junior year of high school who was a year younger than me. Susie never wanted to "go out" in her teen years because she said there would be nothing to look forward to once she got to college or even in adulthood. She did like this boy in school but was not interested in dating at such a young age. I would love to know what happened to my former friend because she had a better head than most young people I knew back then and now.

The writer got it right when he said these teens are going to have a hard time in the "real world" when they realise that every single day is NOT Christmas or they do not get a present just because they asked...or because they are "them". I also feel that most kids should earn what they want regardless of how well-off the parents may be as the money from Mother or Father is not automatically the children's assets. It is that old adage of the child asking for something and Dad says, "No." Child whines to Daddy that "they" are rich'. "No...," responds the wise father, "I am rich. You are not rich." 'Nuff said...
I really feel sorry for today's kids as much as they are already spoiled.

I have so many fond memories as a child and pre-teen and early teen etc., of stuff I did myself, and looking back I did with little or no help.

But I especially feel sorry for them because they do get too much too soon, and in a sense, will have nothing to look forward to in the same way. A little example.....today's brats, like my nieces and nephews, get to go to rock concerts as early as 8 years old, etc. (and ruin the experience for the adult there, but I digress) How about all the mileposts of life of getting to go to your first concert as a teen or semi-adult, by yourself, planned with your friends, getting a ride with someone who knew how to drive and was LUCKY enough to have access of a car? I remember every moment of that experience and the feelings that went with it.
\
But now, Moo and Dud want to GIVE the kids that spectacular feeling and be a 'cool' friend of a parunt. It really is more about them than the kid. But that feeling is gone when the paruntal involvement is there. Then when the brat is 14 or so, what will be his/her special event or fantasy or independant fun? They are given everything almost and have no independent life from the parunts. It is so sad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login