Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Families should have no more than two children

Posted by mercurior 
Families should have no more than two children
July 11, 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=467728&in_page_id=1770

Families should have no more than two children if they want to help combat climate change, according to new research by a thinktank.

According to the report, published by the Optimum Population Trust, Britain's high birth rate is a major factor in the current level of climate change, which can only be combatted if families voluntarily limit the number of children they have.

The report calls for a 'two-child' policy in the UK that would reduce the nation's population from 60 million, as it currently stands, to no more than 55 milllion by 2050.

With the UK having the highest rate of teenage pregnancies in western Europe the thinktank is also calling for the Government to increase investment in family planning clinics and to look at ways of discouraging teenage girls from becoming pregnant.

At its current rate the report estimates that the UK's mid-century population is projected to be 68-69 million with the planet having the largest generation of young people in history - what it terms a 'youthquake'.

High population and accelerating consumption means that humans are outstripping the planet's biological capcity, says the report. By 2050, with the global population rising to 9.2 billion, humans will be using twice the Earth's natural capacity.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Families should have no more than two children
July 12, 2007
Just this morning in the newspaper SO and I were reading an article about the effects this part of the country will feel with the climate changes caused by heat trapping emissions from fossil fuels. It's really quite distressing.

Meanwhile, every moo in my area probably scanned over the article thinking nothing of it, planning her day chauffering her kids, traveling no less than 100 miles per day, I'm sure.

The area where we live, a lot of people have close access to highways that take them into New Jersey and NYC for work, the highways are clogged horribly with commuters. And these same commuters are men with SAH wives/moos, working their asses off for high paying jobs to support the FAMBLEE, all the while contributing to the demise of the environment. What kind of world are they creating for their sprogs?

SO and I have a 15 mile commute each way. Other than that, we really don't drive too much. The bike is a great fuel saver, too. I'd sooner work close to home and make less than spend hours in the car commuting for 6 figures, burning gallons of gas sitting in traffic on the highways and wasting precious time.
July 12, 2007
Apparently, the per child tax credit is going up to $5000. Of course, the childfree/childless will be getting it up the ass again. Don't even get me started...angry flipping off

I read a good conservative magazine but had to see this fucking advertisement of how conservative "values" are going down as less people are marrying and having children. I am moderate with pro-choice views and some very conservative views. I am sick of how a "good conservative" woman wants a husband and those babies. What about the rest of us???? Shitting out a baby does not make a better conservative! Families really do suck with their chaos and dysfunction. Yet...the Libs also pander to the breeders. Many pro-choicers only seem to think a woman aborts just because she cannot afford those tiny babies but will want them later.

Even if I had a hint of mooternal instinct, I sure as hell would not want to bring a child into this world where the jobs are getting more scarce and the quality if life is going to shit. I have read somewhere that Orthodox Jews cry at a baby's birth because of how hard life often is yet most religions still tout breeding. My fav is when I worked security at abortion clinics how the protesters would scream how that aborted bay-bee may have been the one to cure cancer! Right-o. If most of these women did not abort, the kids would be piss-poor students as most children of single moms. Cure cancer, my ASS!
I would not want to reproduce just so some Corporate pimp can have another McWorker that is basically ho'd out, which is what we all do when go to work: rent out our bodies and minds. We have enough low-skilled workers, thank-you very much. Life for these mollycoddled kids will suck when they have to deal with horrid commutes and good jobs drying up. With more people, the demand for good workers goes down like in places like Colombia where educated people work as street cleaners as unemployment is so high...
This thread reminds me of a newspaper article some months back about American parents who were paying tutors based in India to help their kids over the phone with a variety of subjects. They mooed about how waaaayyy much cheaper it was than hiring a tutor who could actually sit down with the kid. I guess the irony of all this was lost on the reporter who wrote the story because there was nothing in the article about how by the time the kid is ready for a job, it likely will be outsourced. A lot of jobs that require more than data entry are now being outsourced. I recently heard that mortgage loan originating is now being outsourced.

One of the parents’ quotes was something like: “I want my chyyld to have every opportunity to succeed.” WTF does that mean? I heard this alllll the time at school board meetings (I was a newspaper reporter, now I work for a mag). I know what it means. They want them to grow up to have shit and buy shit and live their antiseptic lives in their antiseptic houses. They don’t think of it this way, but that’s what it means. I have yet to hear a parunt say: “I just want my kid to grow up to be kind, compassionate, and happy."
July 13, 2007
amethusos* Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently, the per child tax credit is going up
> to $5000. Of course, the childfree/childless will
> be getting it up the ass again. Don't even get me
> started...angry flipping off
>

The breeders already use the $1,000 giveaway per crotchdropping for stuff like vacations, big-screen TVs and SUV down payments. Bigger credits will pay for a bigger and better time for the breeders and their hellspawn at Disney World sad smiley
Last April, DH and I went to a local church to see "An Inconvenient Truth" (this church actually observes Earth Day, what a concept!). A friend of ours asked us what we were doing to help with the problem of global warming. This friend has four kids and is an excellent parent; still, what popped into my head was "well, we aren't having kids"! Of course, being a polite person I didn't say that.

Funny how seldom being childfree is considered as a legitimate step to take re: protecting the Earth long-term. It's almost like telling people to chop off their naughty bits, you just don't dare.doh face Or else, it's just assumed that asking people to curb their reproduction would be asking way too much. More's the pity.
July 14, 2007
ihave a problem with the film an inconvenient truth, it in essence blames humanity for every problem, when mars is warming up at the same rate as the earth, does that mean theres humans on mars,

but they cant see it being different, a lot of religious people who beleive in the rapture, dont beleive in saving the planet as when god calls he will wipe out and fix every problem..

http://rr-rapture.com/rr-environmental.html

if you read it, its scary

"The main job of a Christian leader is to guide lost souls to redemption. I can only ask where the Bible even hints that saving the whales and fighting global warming are part of the Great Commission. Dealing with environmental problems needs to be left to the politicians. In my view, any preacher who decides to get involved in environmental issues is like a heart surgeon who suddenly leaves an operation to fix a clogged toilet."

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 16, 2007
Just remember, compact flourescent lights (CFL's) contain mercury and should not be disposed of in the traditional method, i.e. throwing them in the trash. Also, all CFL's are produced in China, so there's the workers rights issues as well. I don't really want to be the Debbie Downer because switching bulbs is something easy for people to do. However, I think when it's recommended that we all switch to CFL's to conserve energy, one should know that in different ways they cause just as many problems.
July 16, 2007
exactly, they arent the miracle solution, they have other problems.. but there is a blindness in this is right this is THE solution for example, kids will pay for the social security, or help the economy, thats partly true and partly false, but on the whole the negative impact these actions cause outweigh the supposed benefits. which also cannot be guarenteed, the children will use more energy more resources, which creates a major negative impact. more children will mean more spongers off the state, so any potential benefits are destroyed as soon as it happens. and this carries on forever.. a child will have a child who has a child who has a child and so on.. at each step more and more resources are used, so from the one action we take being a childfree, we stop not just the childs pollution but every other human from that childs pollution.

(sorry for the highbrow stuff, this late in the day, but my brain is working now, in the mornings it takes a while for my brains to kick in)

July 16, 2007
The economy and the environment are two vastly different things. Doing what's good for the economy generally isn't good for the environment as it takes the environment quite a bit of time to adapt to change. However, it is entirely possible to do good for the environment AND the economy at the same time. Business is highly adaptable and with some creativity and willingness to accept temporary loss it is entirely possible to maintain a profit margin over the long term.

It seems to me that the main reason breeders whine about declining "western" birth rates is because they're racist. They don't want to see white populations and culture muddied by a bunch of brown people who will emmigrate to replace the unbirthed white workers.
July 16, 2007
i agree that racism is part of it, part of it is rowan and me have been told we need to breed so there will be intelligent kids..

yes environment and economy are frequently enemies of each other, we all of us need to ask yes we can do it, but should we, is it better if we dont do this.

its hard to find a company that does both jobs, because of the pro money idea that these companies have, and so by extension so does the government (who funds the parties), and of course these businesses do want more people to work for them, so they can make more money.

i say we the childfree are more environmentally aware, and we do our bit in stopping the resource drain, by stopping our next generation and theirs.. and so on..

in all stories i say follow the money, its a cynical way of thinking but i am rarely wrong. these companies and parents only think of the NOW, not 25 years in the future.. (environmental companies like the carbon offset company owned by gore, i sometimes see them as just a way of raising money and they dont really care about the environment its just a tool for them to make money)

July 17, 2007
Unfortunately, it does seem to be true - at least what I've seen. All the wrong people are breeding.

I weep for the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login