Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"olden days" on TV

Posted by CF Uter 
CF Uter
"olden days" on TV
July 31, 2007
After reading another site with a baseball park rant, I was just reflecting on an old episode of the Untouchables that was on last night, or any older episodes of classic shows....do you ever notice, there are never any sproggen at the baseball games, fancy restaurants, and the like?

So where do breeders get-"baseball games are for kyds" crap and "my kyds have to be at fancy restaurants so they learn how to act" crap? Where do they get these ideas if it wasn't around in their past, their parents' past, or their parents' parents' past?

If their parunts brought them to one game a year, they remember the Kodak moment, and now their sproggen should get priority treatment at these formally adult events all the time???! (I know parents in my day weren't bringing the kyds all the time to games, even the boys)

I know it is just TV and not real life, but I think some of the details reflect real life and what was going on. Things change , but at the same time, where do breeders get these corn ball ideas if not from their own learning experiences? I don't think there is any similiarity between modern breeders and their own responsible parents whatsoever, (some exceptions of course).

any thoughts?shrug
Re: "olden days" on TV
July 31, 2007
I'd also love to know where today's Pahrunts get their corn ball ideas. My guess is they pull them out of their asses.

My parents didn't take my brother and I everywhere with them. They went tons of places and we stayed home. We aren't scarred for life, didn't end up psychologically damaged, nothing bad happened to us in the care of someone besides our parents. Our parents were FAR from selfish. They just knew when and how to draw the line between kid time and adult time. Today's pahrunts are too stupid to know this.
July 31, 2007
They do pull their ideas out their asses, however the basic concept is as old as parenthood itself...not really though.

There was a time not to long ago when children were expected to contribute to the lifestyle of the family, working the fields, tending animals or even working in a sweatshop. They were considered small adults who were more fragile and agile.

Then came the rise of the middle class, industrialization, modern conveniences and child labor laws. All of a sudden children were children and parents were expected to facilitate "childhood", and each generation had to do better than the next. My grandparents were pleased as punch to just have their kids go to college...my parents originally wanted me to go corporate so I could make more money, have a bigger house and more cars than they did.

Nowdays, everything is set. Most parents feel that their children won't surpass them educationally or economically, so they want their children to have experiences they never got, things like going to ballparks, fancy resturants, art openings, gallerys, overseas vacations and bars. Or they want their children to never feel the sting of not getting something you want...they want to satisfy every desire their children have, or they think their children have.
July 31, 2007
Very true, Feh!!!!

My question to these ass-hat parents is, if your kids get to have all the fun adult experiences as kids, what will they have left to look forward to? Oh, that's right. Get all those pesky wonderful experiences out of the way so you can focus the rest of your life on BREEDING.

I had tons of wonderful experiences with my family and friends throughout my life. The simple things like every day stuff, lots of pets, close relationships with my grandparents, playing in the back yard and in the pool with my friends and cousins, catching lightening bugs with my mom, Girl Scouts, walking to dance class with my best friend, club fundraisers, tent camping in the back yard, etc.

If the parents of today think that they need to spend tons of money or take their kids to every single event that goes on around them within a 100 mile radius, then it sounds to me like those parents raised nothing but a bunch of entitlement-minded, ungrateful brats.

My adult experiences didn't start until I was 17 years old and was owning my own money, and guess what? I'm perfectly OK with that!
July 31, 2007
I actually heard or read something about that recently. Where or what it was? I do not remember.
What I do remember is that folks were discussing the idea that if you take your kids everywhere, include them in every adult activity and the like, they really won't ever have a sense of adulthood beyond possibly "going wild","drinking until blacking out" or "I was dumb in another country, and now I'm raped/in prison/dead/in white slavery".

There are no destination-based goals to reach like "I'm eating at a very expensive resturant like I never had before because I've graduated High School" or money based goals like "I can spend assloads of money on designer jeans for the first time because I make my own money now." Lots of children nowdays don't have to save up or wait for anything any more, I almost feel bad for them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login