Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Russian governor sponsors Conception Day

Posted by catmeow 
August 14, 2007

By Liza Kuznetsova, Associated Press Writer | August 14, 2007

MOSCOW --A Russian region best known as the birthplace of Vladimir Lenin has found a novel way to fight the nation's birthrate crisis: It has declared Sept. 12 the Day of Conception and for the third year running is giving couples time off from work to procreate.

The hope is for a brood of babies exactly nine months later on Russia's national day. Couples who "give birth to a patriot" during the June 12 festivities win money, cars, refrigerators and other prizes.

Ulyanovsk, a region on the Volga River about 550 miles east of Moscow, has held similar contests since 2005. Since then, the number of competitors, and the number of babies born to them, has been on the rise.

Alexei Bezrukov and his wife, Yulia, won a 250,000 ruble prize -- equivalent to $10,000 -- in June after she gave birth to a baby boy, Andrei. Bezrukov said patriotism wasn't their motive for having a child, their third, although the money was welcome.

"It was a patriotic atmosphere, you know when everyone around is celebrating, but I wasn't thinking of anything but my son," he said. "The whole thing is great, it's great to get 250,000 rubles when you have a new baby to take care of."

Russia, with one-seventh of the Earth's land surface, has just 141.4 million citizens, making it one of the most sparsely settled countries in the world. With a low birthrate and very high death rate, the population has been shrinking since the early 1990s.

It is now falling by almost half a percent each year. Demographic experts expect the decline to accelerate, estimating that Russia's population could fall below 100 million by 2050.

In his state of the nation address last year, President Vladimir Putin called the demographic crisis the most acute problem facing Russia and announced a broad effort to boost Russia's birthrate, including cash incentives to families to have more than one child.

Ulyanovsk Governor Sergei Morozov has added an element of fun to the national campaign.

When he held the first competition in 2005, 311 women signed up to take part -- and qualify for a half-day off from work. In June 2006, 46 more babies were born in Ulyanovsk's 25 hospitals than in June of the previous year, including 28 born on June 12, officials in the governor's office said.

More than 500 women signed up for the second contest on Sept. 12, 2006. Exactly nine months later, 78 babies, triple the region's daily average, were born. They were welcomed into the world as Russia's national anthem was played, the officials said.

Since the campaign began, the birthrate in the region has risen steadily and is up 4.5 percent so far this year over the same period in 2006, according to the regional administration's Web site.

Everyone who has a baby in an Ulyanovsk hospital on Russia Day gets some kind of prize. But the grand prize winners are couples judged to be the fittest parents by a committee that deliberates for two weeks over the selection.

The 2007 grand prize went to Irina and Andrei Kartuzov, who received a UAZ-Patriot, an SUV made in Ulyanovsk. They told reporters they were planning to have another child anyway when they heard about the contest.

Irina Kartuzova had to have a Caesarian section to deliver the baby and it was scheduled for June 12.

The selection committee chose the Kartuzovs from among the 78 couples because of their "respectability" and "commendable parenting" of their two older children, a spokesman for the governor said.

Other contestants won video cameras, TVs, refrigerators and washing machines.

Under the federal program, women who give birth to a second or subsequent child are to receive certificates worth $10,000, which can be used to pay for education or to improve the family's living conditions.

Monthly support payments were raised this year to $60 from $28.
Re: Russian governor sponsors Conception Day
August 15, 2007
add that to the breeding camps, the nashi, where condoms are banned, where tight underwear are banned,

i have a VERY bad feeling about this

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/08/10/putins_young_brownshirts/?page=full

Last July, its two-week training program in a camp 200 miles outside Moscow, attended by 10,000 young men and women carefully screened for ideological fitness, It promotes conservative social values and healthy lifestyles, condemning such scourges as draft evasion, drinking, smoking, birth control, and abortion. Its leaders speak of "freedom" as essential to the Russian people -- but what they mean is freedom from outside interference and infringements on Russia's sovereignty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=471324&in_page_id=1770

Remember the mammoths, say the clean-cut organisers at the youth camp's mass wedding. "They became extinct because they did not have enough sex. That must not happen to Russia".

Obediently, couples move to a special section of dormitory tents arranged in a heart-shape and called the Love Oasis, where they can start procreating for the motherland.

Attendance is monitored via compulsory electronic badges and anyone who misses three events is expelled. So are drinkers; alcohol is banned. But sex is encouraged, and condoms are nowhere on sale.

Bizarrely, young women are encouraged to hand in thongs and other skimpy underwear - supposedly a cause of sterility - and given more wholesome and substantial undergarments.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
August 15, 2007
catmeow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Alexei Bezrukov and his wife, Yulia, won a 250,000
> ruble prize -- equivalent to $10,000 -- in June
> after she gave birth to a baby boy, Andrei.
> Bezrukov said patriotism wasn't their motive for
> having a child, their third, although the money
> was welcome.

What an idiot! That little :bawl screamer will cost these breeders far mor e than the 250,000 rubles. Wanna bet these people are going to resent having that third baby. People who breed for "patriotism" are nothing more than sheep who can be led anywhere and to do anything.
August 15, 2007
Oh, those wacky Russians...
Obviously those poor deluded people who want to push out babies for Mother Russia have never been outside the country. Who would want to subject their children to a country as impoverished and unstable as Russia? Say they remedy the low birthrate, what's the point of having kids if they're still candidates for that high death rate?

Quality of life is obviously not a concept that has hit their airwaves (with Putin in charge, no wonder - he keeps shutting down TV/radio stations that disagree - also, how many kyds does Putin and the Mrs. take pride in? Makes you think.)

And if I were those preggos, I'd say screw the certificates, I want cold, hard (AMERICAN) currency.

My head hurts. Help me, Jebus.
Anonymous User
August 15, 2007
I'm from a Russian background, but never been to Russia. I'd never breed, and even less in captivity.
StefTheGuest
August 15, 2007
A similar article is posted on Drudge, and the comments are making me furious. It seems that not only do most people (or, at least, most people responding to the article) think that quantity of life is more important than QUALITY of life (how selfish we are for wanting to pursue our individual needs and interests, when we could be having babies!!!), but they also seem to believe that individuals exist for the benefit of society, rather than society existing for the benefit of the individual.

It's very sad and a little funny that they don't realize how closely their ideology matches that of those who are encouraging mass breeding for the good of Mother Russia!!
August 16, 2007
There should be CONTRAception Days!!

Days where armies ride through the streets with Norplant guns and lasers that render the recipient of the beam permanently sterile.

What a wonderful world it would be.
August 16, 2007
Mrs. Ogre Wrote:
> I'm from a Russian background, but never been to
> Russia. I'd never breed, and even less in
> captivity.

Cafe Press has a great tee re: not breeding in captivity.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/childfree/-/pv_design_prod/pg_2/p_storeid.69810523/pNo_69810523/id_14431067/opt_/fpt___________________B/c_687/

I feel the same way. Even in the US, the uber-religious and others try to encourage popping sprogs to outbreed the enemy. How about education and awareness rather than breeding more humans? More humans will no stop terrorism or illegal immigration. Nor will more humans somehow make our own nation smarter...
August 17, 2007
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> There should be CONTRAception Days!!
>
> Days where armies ride through the streets with
> Norplant guns and lasers that render the recipient
> of the beam permanently sterile.
>
> What a wonderful world it would be.

I would gladly stand in front of that laser; then I'd frolic down the street happily, like Broadway musical style, with some dance moves thrown in.winking smiley
KFLL, where do you get such wonderful ideas? Please share them with your local Planned Parenthood group OR the local high schools. You rock!!!!

If the media could come up with some catchy slogans/commercials to make it attractive to wanna-be-moos to postpone moodom until they're smart enough, financially able, and emotionally READY for kids, then to quote Dusty, "what a wonderful world that would be...."

Contraception dreaming....on such a summer's day.... (sing it Mammas & Pappas! - talk about your serendipity right there......).

Happy Friday to all you CF folk. You help me make it through the week, and I thank you.
Just thought of hiring Weird Al Yankovich do a parody of Martina McBride's "Independence Day." That would ROCK!!!!!
AND, a SUV is one of the prizes! The “most acute problem” is accelerated climatic change caused by humankind.
But go ahead and fuck your children over. You’ve got your new icebox and cars. Yay for you.
Anonymous User
August 21, 2007
It's ridiculous, but shit, did I just read they're giving folks a free day off work to go home and fuck like bunnies?

Heh, they wouldn't have to know that I'd be having a threesome: me, my partner, and Mr. Condom....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login