Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A ruling against a titfeeding moo!

Posted by catmeow 
A ruling against a titfeeding moo!
September 19, 2007
Judge rules against breastfeeding medical student

By Felicia Mello, Globe Correspondent

A Harvard medical student and new mother will not be permitted to take extra break time to pump breast milk during her exam to become a doctor, a judge ruled today.

Sophie Currier of Brookline sued the National Board of Medical Examiners Sept. 6, arguing the board violated her constitutional right to breastfeed by denying her more than the 45 minutes of rest periods allotted to all test takers.

Currier, who has a four-month-old daughter, must pass the exam before she can graduate and begin a residency program at Massachusetts General Hospital later this fall.

In a three-page opinion, Norfolk Superior Court Judge Patrick Brady said Currier could still find a way to expel her milk during the test or on regularly scheduled breaks.

"The plaintiff may take the test and pass, notwithstanding what she considers to be unfavorable conditions," Brady wrote. "The plaintiff may delay the test, which is offered numerous times during the year, until she has finished her breast-feeding and the need to express milk."

Currier’s lawyer, Christine Smith Collins, said she will appeal the decision to a state court of appeals judge, who could still issue a ruling before Currier takes the exam next Monday.

"Basically the judge decided it’s okay to tell women to wait until they are done being moms to become professionals, which as far as I’m concerned is not acceptable in this day and age,” Collins said.

The board has offered to allow Currier to bring her breast pump into the exam room, and to provide her with an extra room in which to expel milk during her breaks. Currier will be allowed to take the test over two days, instead of the normal one, because she has dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and the board has agreed to give her 45 minutes of break time each day. Currier wants an additional hour of break time each day.

But the board argued that it would be unfair to other test takers to allow Currier more time for a condition not recognized as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"The national board thinks that breastfeeding is a fine thing to do but it also thinks that having a standardized examination for licensure is also really important," said board spokesperson Ken Cotton.

He said the board periodically reviews its testing policies and will consider increasing break time for all examinees, a solution he said would be more consistent than making an exception for Currier.

Good discussion board about this: http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=bc-parenting&tid=157

We need more judges like Patrick Brady!

This entitlement-minded bitch claims that this is a disability. She already has dyslexia and ADHD on her personal disability list.

Her "constitutional right to breastfeed"? Yeah, this is now a civil rights case. two faces puking

I heard a DJ on the radio make fun of this asshole earlier tonight and it was funny.

I'm sure that this cunt will become a doctor someday. I will remember never to go to her and will advise friends to avoid her at all costs.
k-man
Re: A ruling against a titfeeding moo!
September 19, 2007
It isn't politically correct these days, but the judge should have told the moo that if she is all that concerned about breastfeeding her chyld, then she should stay home to handle that for the time being and postpone the doctoral exam.

Otherwise, that's what infant formula is made for, and an occasional bottle of it in place of moo-mee's milk isn't going to hurt the sprog.

Personally, I have a problem with a doctor-to-be who is dyslexic, as I see too much potential for grave error in reading charts or instruments or in dispensing meds or other treatments.

And if she is taking anything herself for the alleged ADHD, wouldn't that drug be getting into her pwecious milk? Ritalin and Adderal are nasty drugs, commonly abused by those who are not ADHD. The US military will not accept for enlistment a teen who has recently been prescribed either drug. Here, too, I would have a problem with a doctor-to-be who must take one of these—especially since Ritalin is a Schedule II drug in the US. (The highest schedule, I, contains drugs that are illegal to possess or use in any form, prescribed or not.) It would be almost like a doctor who must take OxyContin.
September 20, 2007
Hydralazine, or Hydroxyzine
and
Lamisil, Lamictal
and
Topamax, Toprol

i have a problem with this as well. she has adhd, and dyslexia, and is studying for her doctors licence, which is given more than once a year.

why doesnt she do it after she finished breastfeeding, that way she can give more "pwecious" time to her kid, would you want a doctor to be oozing, and feeding in situations.

she has been given extra time, extra rooms, and so on.. many women doctors did the same but they didnt ask for preferential treatment,

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
September 20, 2007
Cry me a river, tit moo. And that sure is one ugly baybee. The dumb bitch failed the test once already, why can't she wait until leechling is done breastfeeding? Sounds like she needs more time to study, anyway.

I'm sure all the lactating cows of that town will stage one of their little "nurse-ins" outside the courthouse to show their disapproval of the ruling.

What better time and place for a drive by shooting!
September 23, 2007
some research

http://www.myhealthsense.com/F060626_adht.html

it seems likethis woman has an agenda

Like many people with ADHD, Currier has family members with the disorder. Her father, Richard, a Cambridge real estate broker, has it. The family thinks his father had it, too, as does her brother, Blake, a construction project manager in Wellesley and Framingham. Richard’s wife Barbara puts up with it all. “I print out a list of what he has to do every day,” she said one Sunday afternoon in their kitchen. They both laugh. “Then he loses it.”

Family studies suggest that about three-quarters of the risk of developing ADHD is genetic, said Susan Smalley, a behavioral geneticist at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA.

Sophie Currier made it through MIT — brilliantly — in part because the school paid other students to read books to her and share their class notes.

By the time she was in graduate school, MIT provided computers that scanned books and read them aloud to Currier; she was also allowed extra time on exams.

“MIT is a haven for someone like me,” said Currier, who plans to put her education to use by studying the genetics of ADHD among other neurological disorders. “It was very easy because I was in an environment that supported me.”

You can also get “a life coach,” said Hallowell — not necessarily a trained mental health professional, but someone who can help you get organized, make lists and check up to make sure you get things done.

September 23, 2007
Moo's "support nursing moms" blog: http://accomodatenursing.blogspot.com/

Here's the entry the bitchbrat made Friday, September 21, 2007:
Legal Matters
Boston/ Worcester /Framingham based law firm Bowditch and Dewey http://www.bowditch.com/ are representing me on a pro-bono basis because they believe that the NBME's policy discriminates against women and violates our civil rights.

Hey, Sophie, you do NOT speak for all women! It is not discriminatory and this is not a civil rights matter. If I need legal help, I will not use Bowditch and Dewey.
September 25, 2007
Shrug...even if dairy product from the tit is magical enough to turn babies into superheroes, moos shouldn't suckle in public where we get grossed out by the sight and quit drinking milk ourselves.
DrDanCorelli
September 25, 2007
The underlying irony in all of this is that the bint wants to study genetics, which is a precise science of matching DNA and RNA base pairs to form protein coding sequences. This is hardly something that a dyslexic would be good at!!

Yikes.
September 25, 2007
The comments are better than the column here. This has the column, a picture of moo and baybeeeee, the comments and a survey you can take: http://tinyurl.com/yrj843

More news and comments: http://tinyurl.com/2fh2hc two faces puking two faces puking
September 27, 2007
Of course, now it's been reversed...
In Reversal, Student Is Given Extra Exam Time to Pump Breast Milk

By ELIZABETH OLSON
Published: September 27, 2007

A Harvard student must be given extra break time during a medical licensing exam to pump breast milk, a Massachusetts appeals court judge ruled yesterday.

The student, Sophie C. Currier, 33, of Brookline, Mass., had sued the National Board of Medical Examiners after it denied her request for more than the standard 45 minutes of allotted breaks during the nine-hour exam, which she will take over two days.

She said she risked medical complications if she did not nurse her 4-month-old daughter, Lea, or pump breast milk every two or three hours.

In overturning a ruling that denied Ms. Currier the additional 60 minutes of break time she requested, Judge Gary Katzmann said yesterday that she needed the extra time so she could be on “equal footing” with men and nonlactating women taking the test.

The medical examining board said that although it planned to appeal, it would give Ms. Currier the additional time if Judge Katzmann’s order is still in effect when she takes the exam, set for next week. She must pass the exam, which tests clinical knowledge, to receive her medical degree. Without it, she cannot start her residency at Massachusetts General Hospital.

In the 26-page ruling, Judge Katzmann said refusing to allow additional time meant that Ms. Currier must choose to either “use her break time to incompletely express breast milk and ignore her bodily functions, or abdicate her decision to express breast milk, resulting in significant pain.”

“Under either avenue,” he wrote, Ms. Currier “is placed at significant disadvantage in comparison to her peers.”

Additional time does not give her an unfair advantage, he found, because answers cannot be changed after the student leaves the exam room.

Ms. Currier said the ruling was a boon “for nursing mothers who are trying to juggle family obligations and further their careers.”

The board said in a statement that it would appeal the ruling to a three-judge panel to protect the “integrity of the exam.”

Dr. Ruth Hoppe, chairwoman of the board’s governing body, said: “We have to maintain rigorous and consistent standards that are fair to everyone taking the test. The stakes for assessing competence of physicians are high.”

But she insisted that the board tried to be flexible. “We routinely review surveys of test takers to find out whether the computers work, whether break time is sufficient and other areas, and adjust our policies,” Dr. Hoppe said.

About 33,000 people took the exam during the last academic year.

Ms. Currier has already received some accommodation from the board for dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. She can take the test over two days instead of one, for example.
NOOOO!!!!!
Say it ain't so. How many more breaks can this dumb bint get?
She can't do anything on her own. She can't even sit down long enough to read a book or take some notes! Like Dr. Dan pointed out, it's so ironic that she wants to study genetics. I wonder if she'll have some helper by her side assisting her while she does that too. They'll get paid shit and she'll get all the bucks. This is just awful. Let's see if she passes this time.
September 27, 2007
well i missed that, before she wanted to do pathology, now genetics, now a residency.

i am sure she has an agenda. would you want a dyslexic doctor treating you

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
September 27, 2007
Hmmm...sometimes the shoulder of my wiping arm hurts. Mabye if I had a kid, I could get someone to wipe my ass...or even better tongue wash my dumper because sometimes toilet paper is abrasive, which is pretty much what this woman is requesting.
This program has had 33,000 people test this past year, and I'm sure at least a couple of them were lactating mothers who some how managed to take the test, in ONE day, without any extra special accomidations. I wonder how they feel?
September 27, 2007
dr helen on her blog, was in the same situation and she passed ok

Dyslexic, entitlement-minded, titfeeding moo takes test 10/10
October 09, 2007
I hope this moo fails miserably!

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Breast-feeding medical student to take licensing test tomorrow

By Elizabeth Cooney, Globe Correspondent

A Harvard medical student who went to court to get extra time to pump breast milk during a licensing exam will start taking the test tomorrow.

Sophie Currier, who is breast-feeding her 5-month-old daughter, sued the National Board of Medical Examiners on Sept. 5 when it refused to give her more than the usual 45-minute break allowed to students taking the nine-hour exam. Since then the case has gone through seven rulings.

Today the Supreme Judicial Court denied a request from the board for an expedited review of the case after a state Appeals Court ruling on Friday cleared the way for Currier to have the extra time. The examination board had also asked for a single justice to hear an appeal, but the court did not rule on that petition, board spokeswoman Carol Thomson said in an interview.

"Sophie Currier is scheduled to take the test tomorrow and the following day," Thomson said. "The board certainly will comply with the court's requirements and she will take the test with extra time."

Currier, who must pass the test before beginning her residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, has been granted permission to take the test over two days because of her dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. She will get an hour of extra break time each day.

The 33-year-old Brookline resident had argued that it would be uncomfortable and possibly harmful to her health if she could pump breast milk only during standard breaks.

Currier was unavailable to comment today, her spokeswoman Alex Zaroulis said.

"Sophie is looking forward to taking the test tomorrow. She's focused, she's prepared," Zaroulis said. "This has all been about Sophie being able to take this test and be able to express milk while she takes the test in a humane and sanitary way."

One of her lawyers said she found it troubling that the organization responsible for licensing doctors continues to take such an "anti-female approach."

"We took this case pro bono because we believed strongly in the legal positions that were set forth regarding a nursing mother's right in the workplace and by extension, a nursing mother's right to be able to become a doctor and take the medical exam without being at risk for physical harm," said Lauren Stiller Rikleen, who worked on the case with Christine Smith Collins of the law firm Bowditch & Dewey.

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
October 09, 2007
(Shakes head.)

She's already BUSY being a dairy cattle and now she wants ANOTHER full-time job?eye rolling smiley
October 10, 2007
if anyone goes to that hospital i am sure they are gonna be fine (sarcasm off).

a dyslexic doctor. i mean dear god.. if that wastn bad enough, resident doctors spend a lot of time on the wards, hours in hospital.

will she stop doing work in an emergency when lives are at stake, just to pump the udder.

if i was being treated by her i would say no sorry, dont want her she is not going to give me any drugs because she cant read or write the correct ones.

CFBitchfromLA
October 11, 2007
Pathology does require a residency, but the only patients she will ever touch will be dead and awaiting a post-mortem.

I seriously would not trust a dyslexic doctor. You can make too many errors in medication orders, including one or two that just might kill someone.

I do not know much about medical licensure, and I defer to our own Dr. Dan for that information. Nursing boards have never had this kind of problem, and I wonder why this bitch thinks she is worthy of it. Scares the shit out of me that the stupid cunt might actually have some patient's life in her hands if she ever pulls an ER rotation.
October 12, 2007
well according to other stories, she wants to study dna, then it was pathology, then it was ward work.

her goal kept changing.

its a worrying idea, yet if you read the rob grant book incompetence. you will see its not so much fiction anymore.

in his book its against the law to discriminate against anyone, including stupidity.

October 12, 2007
I was happy to read a letter from a FEMALE doctor in the local paper telling this cunt to start studying rather than scream for special privileges due to being a lactating moo. I wish more people would stand up and say it as it is...and for MORE women to do the same thing. All this does is make a bigger bias against females. The breeder cunt is already being allowed extra time on the test due to dyslexia. I doubt she would get all of these "breaks" if she was male. Is it any wonder why I do not want to see a doctor??? I would rather take my chances on my own... :cool
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login