Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

real estate taxes and kids

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
real estate taxes and kids
January 16, 2008
Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that real estate taxes are tied to schools?

We don't have kids - so in all seriousness, I wonder why we should have to pay an ever-increasing real estate tax to help fund schools for other people's kids.... ?

People choose to have children - just as we chose to have pets. But we don't get to use the state to force our neighbors to help defray our vet/food bills (not that we would, even if we could). So why is that people who choose to have kids don't get a special tax levied on them to help defray the costs of such things as schools and so on? Why is that the responsibility, even partially, of people who have not contributed to the need for such things?
Re: real estate taxes and kids
January 16, 2008
I don't know from taxes nor do I own property. However, I do think it is a good idea to provide free education to the populace, and am willing to pay into the tax system to support it. Unfortunately, those taxes don't go to further the educations of adults, which I disagree with. I think EVERYONE should have free access to our entire educational system. The more educated people are, the fewer children they have.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
k-man
January 16, 2008
Feh has a great idea. Let adults have free access to education too. In her book Generation Debt, Anya Kamenetz describes how the Reagan administration cut back federally funded university student financial aid using the philosophy that this was primarily a benefit to private individuals and not all of society, so let the college students borrow elsewhere or find other ways to finance. But if that's the philosophy, why not apply it to chyldren in public schools?

It gets worse. In some states the school board can have an independent taxing authority and sends out its own bills above and beyond the local real estate tax bill. My great-aunt in Iowa had to pay school taxes that were higher than her real estate taxes, and the same is true in parts of Texas.
January 16, 2008
I'm so sick of paying school taxes! Especially while paying for my own uni courses, not to mention my homeowner's taxes. Isn't that enough?!?

The worst part is that, when I got my last uni bill, I noticed a standard fee for "daycare". WTF?!? It may only be a couple of dollars per semester, but I don't care - I should NOT have to pay for breeders! If they can't afford their fucking kyds, they shouldn't be having them!
January 17, 2008
I have known many adults who have lost their jobs. The line they're fed, across the board, when they can't find new jobs is "Go back to school, learn a new skill". The problem with that is, how the fuck are you supposed to pay for higher education when you're unemployed with no prospects? DUH. You can't "pull your self up by the bootstraps" when you've got no goddamned boots.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 17, 2008
luckily in the Uk if your unemployed there are some course you can do that are financed by the government.. of course if you wanted a teaching qual one i wanted to do to teach adults.. i would need at least £1500 for 2 year long courses.. and the government didnt or wouldnt fun them.. even thought we are crying our for teachers for adults.

thats one of the benefits of a state run service.. but its still not the best way

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Matush
January 18, 2008
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know from taxes nor do I own property.
> However, I do think it is a good idea to provide
> free education to the populace, and am willing to
> pay into the tax system to support it.
> Unfortunately, those taxes don't go to further the
> educations of adults, which I disagree with. I
> think EVERYONE should have free access to our
> entire educational system. The more educated
> people are, the fewer children they have.

I am ok with free education but what I don't like is raising taxes to help fund the upkeep of items that are absolutely unnecessary like the brand spanking state of the art football field or the olympic sized swimming pool. If kids want a swim team, then they should fund it.
January 18, 2008
This is a real ass-chapping subject for me.

I think the breeders should be footing the bills for their damned kids's schools and teachers. Instead, they pay less in taxes than anyone and the rest of us are paying for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login