Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
TV show tonight about the world without humans
January 21, 2008
http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

I definitely plan to watch it
Re: TV show tonight about the world without humans
January 21, 2008
It's what the breeders are trying to avoid!

I'll probably fall asleep to that, myself. In a good way, I mean.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Mrs. Ogre, I'm all over that!

You made my day by posting it!
Damn it! I don't have that channel. I have a History channel, but it wasn't that one. I'll just order the dvd off the Internet. I hope those who watched it enjoyed it.
Mrs. Ogre,

Definately buy the DVD, it's well worth having. It was amazing (other than the last 20mn where I fell dead asleep due to a new med which knocked me out, but I'll try to catch a rerun)

I won't describe any detail, but I really appreciated the honesty & the viewpoint. One of the first comments made was on how we humans may have to give up our reign someday as every species does. And I was suprised at how in detail it described the changes to the environment, and how quickly plant & animal life explodes without us. It's as if the Earth takes a deep breath & goes "Ahhhhh, they're finally gone!"
January 23, 2008
This earth definitely IS overpopulated, horribly. I read all the time about these third world shit holes destroying habitats and are responsible for a vast number of species becoming extinct. If you ask me, it's the human element in those places that should be extinct - AND about 3/5th of the rest of the countries. And I get to pick who goes. smiling smiley
KFLL,

They also talked alot about how the large key carnivores would expand their habitats & ranges to what they once were. Bears and wolves in North America for instance would be better able to travel for mates, food, etc. And then that improvement trickles down the food chain.

It was too cool how the longer-range animals were shown using man made roads & bridges, like the grizzly traveling across the Golden Gate. They'd learn quickly that it's a faster way to travel as there would be less overgrowth for some time. Everything we left would be used to the fullest. Very cool.

I'm sure IF MOST of the human population were gone, the wildlife explosion would fill in the spaces. I hope I live to see it.
Hey grizzlycat......wouldn't you be dead too? I mean, isn't that the whole point of it? All those billions of people dead - what are the odds that you'd be the only one left? Anyway, I hope I'm gone by then too. I mean, without pizza delivery, what's the point in going on?
bal-de-vis,

I was responding to KFLL's comment about MOST of the human population being gone, not all. In that case, I would HOPE I would survive with the handful of others. It would be cool to be around when most of nature bounces back.

Yeah, we'd have to go primitive & I'd miss the pizza delivery like the next person but hell, there'd be steak!

kfll, hope you pick me!
January 24, 2008
well i can survive out in the primitives, i am legend, the omega man, day of the triffids, 28 days later, zombie movies..

ok they are gory, but in reality you could survive, i personally would let out all the animals from zoo's and safari parks.. find a nice safe old building like th old prisons in the UK 40 foot stone walls.. yes i would like rowan with me, but in reality i wouldnt mind being on my own..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
You're talking my language, merc! There's plenty of human populations around that survive on alot less already.

I'd do the same with the zoo animals if I could, too. Then hopefully the native African animals would migrate south.

I'd like to be near a shoreline if possible, since there would be less danger in fishing then hunting big game. And on that show last night, they predicted aquatic life would multiply like crazy & fare the best out of all wildlife.
January 24, 2008
I just read the book "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman and it was amazing. Way better than the show, but of course it's a book and can go deeper into things generally.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 24, 2008
i want that book, will get it eventually.

never been scared of the end of the world thing, some people would be basket cases but with me i quite enjoy the idea..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
A world without humans, or a drastically reduced human population, is a nice thought. It gives me no problems. Certainly other species would then stand a chance of survival - the main reason for my misanthropy is the damage humans are doing to other species.
January 26, 2008
The Unibomber was right, ever since the industrial revolution, the human race has been a horrendously destructive force. I'd like to see the human population go down to what it was in colonial times.
Hey Feh, I also read "The World Without Us" and loved it! On one level, it spoke to me as a CFer and a supporter of VHEMT. On another level, it spoke to my sensibilities as a historian and current intern learning about the conservation of modern artifacts. It was great!

And the show was fantastic as well...my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
JoJo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Unibomber was right, ever since the industrial
> revolution, the human race has been a horrendously
> destructive force. I'd like to see the human
> population go down to what it was in colonial
> times.

That would be a good number, JoJo.

I also saw another show this weekend about the most dangerous catastrophies earth could face & they said that most likely no matter what there will always be a few pockets of resourceful humans here & there.

They also said that at one time due to some global event, our population bottle necked to only about 30 child bearing females. Imagine that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login