Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teachers prepare to strike, City gets ready by preparing safe havens for kids to get fed

Posted by KABA 
reaperess
me
Teachers in this state are well paid for what amounts to a part time job. They need to quit whining.

Do you know what goes into teaching? The planning that goes on behind the scenes can be a full-time job in and of itself. Add in all the government requirements, spayshul IEP kyds, cowtowing to administration, staying after school to sponsor clubs and/or sports, after school conferences, required trainings, etc, and you have a 55+ hour a week job.

ALSO, these teachers probably spend a goodly amount of their paychecks on classroom materials as well as the various school supplies that students either can't afford, forget, or lose. Many teachers give students lunch money, anonymously purchase prom tickets for the students who can't afford them, etc.

You need to stop whining, because you don't know half of what teachers do.

This. Thank you. I was about to post something similar.

I have found one thing that works when people say, "must be nice to have all that time off." I usually get snarky and tell them, "So why don't you become a teacher if you want the summers off?"

And they usually say, "Oh I don't have the patience, I could never be a teacher." :headbrick
I know several teachers so granted I am not an expert on the subject but I never said I was. I realize the good ones come in early and stay late but not all teachers have to do that. Depends on what grade/class/skill level they teach. Plus here if you take on extra duties after hours, you get extra pay. And many, many people come in early and stay late at their job, yet we don't get every federal holiday off, long weekends every time you turn around, half days every other week, a week in the spring and 2 weeks at Christmas off, and most of the summer off. I also realize pay varies A LOT by state and I was speaking only for my state when I said they were paid well. Look at the states deepest in debt and you will find the ones with the highest-paid teachers/administrators right at the top. I put in more hours than any teacher I know and get about a third of the pay. Plus I have to work weekends, holidays and summers. More power to people who want to be teachers. They are obviously needed. But I'm tired of hearing how much harder they have it than the rest of the working world.

Just twice in the past week, I had a teacher say to me in person plus read an article where another said the same thing, which is they went back to or switched to teaching because the stress and time committment with their former job was too much. Their words, not mine. I'm not saying teaching can't be stressful but they get ample time off to recharge from the stress unlike the rest of us. Every teacher I know will admit the extra time off is a perk and that they have more time off than the rest of us working drones.
Teaching has gotten much more difficult over the years. Gone are the times of "copy this off the board and regurgitate it for the test."

I'm only speaking from being a substitute teacher at the high school level. I was paid jack-crap. I still had to plan, teach to government requirements, make sure all learning styles were covered, stayed after school, gave my personal phone number to parents, dealt with discipline problems like fist fights in my classroom and administration telling me they'd rather deal with it with no paperwork.

I read out loud to students who needed it. Re-wrote tests to meet the accommodations of LD students. Dealt with ED students. Became the hero to a few. I didn't use the bathroom all day, because we didn't have time. I ate lunch in 15 minutes, because we didn't have time.

I was put in a headlock by a student and unable to do anything about it, because we are not able to touch the students.

I was grabbed by the hair and held by a student and unable to do anything about it, because we are not allowed to touch the students.

I was physically shoved into a wall by a student, and unable to do anything about it.

Maybe you could consider it hazard pay, if nothing else.

Maybe you should consider teaching, if you're so upset about your own CHOICE of profession and so envious of teachers.

You wouldn't last a second.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
mr. neptune
Well if you think the teachers in your school district make too much and your kids don't do well why don't you parents MOVE OUT OF CHICAGO! If you really cared, you would find a way. Or you're just too cheap.

You can get trapped in here Mr. N. I don't know how to explain with out going into reeeeellly tedious and boring crap.

It's very expensive here. Certain workers ('City' workers) are *required* to reside inside the city limits only, and this is not like NYC which counts in it's boroughs or 'near burbs'. In comparaison - Chicago would be to NYC as Manhattan *only*.

Whether they are required to live in particular spot or cannot afford to move - where, anyway? It's all expensive. And then there's more transport costs.

Near burbs are $. Far burbs are $, from lower WI to lower MI. And then there's the commute ~

Those who complain about the 'shitty schools' are probably in ghetto areas and they have no way to leave there. They might be on welfare, they might work at a 'city' job and *are required* to reside in Chi only, they may have a low paying crappy job and cannot afford to move -

OK even people with $ here - you can get yourself trapped in here good. Anywhere, really. I presently stay on the W side here, outside of Chi proper, on the edge. $$ area. I am *not* loaded. I have another junk house far N, thats a long commute.

You can get yourself trapped. I could sell these things and move - but what if they don't sell. And go where? It's all $$$. And it's all pretty much 'like here'. Or BIG $$.

If you really wanna drive yourself NUTS - move here grinning smiley
Rents are very high, also, in all areas. 1K / mo. for something halfway decent in a non combat zone. *If* you can find that.

I was warned, I can't complain (I have always lived in the general area also, orig. from Lower MI - which believe it or not is considered part of the 'Greater Chicago Metro Area').

It's stupid expensive and stupid congested here. 20% + of the US population lives in this area. Cook Co. IL now second most populous in US, behind LA, CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_County,_Illinois

And then consider the mass of all the surrounding counties in the gen. area.

I hate this place! grinning smiley
I'm moving to Gary, Indiana. Fuck it. The shitty and polluted areas are the only (semi) reasonably priced spots to live here. Unless you want to move halfway to Iowa.

Yeah. You can get yourself stuck in here. Move here and find out the hard way LOL grinning smiley
If you move here you will want to punch yourself in the face on an hourly basis. Seriously.

~ Former Michigander
(Referred to as Fucking Michigander here.)
Zzelda
mr. neptune
Well if you think the teachers in your school district make too much and your kids don't do well why don't you parents MOVE OUT OF CHICAGO! If you really cared, you would find a way. Or you're just too cheap.

You can get trapped in here Mr. N. I don't know how to explain with out going into reeeeellly tedious and boring crap.

It's very expensive here. Certain workers ('City' workers) are *required* to reside inside the city limits only, and this is not like NYC which counts in it's boroughs or 'near burbs'. In comparaison - Chicago would be to NYC as Manhattan *only*.

Whether they are required to live in particular spot or cannot afford to move - where, anyway? It's all expensive. And then there's more transport costs.

Near burbs are $. Far burbs are $, from lower WI to lower MI. And then there's the commute ~

Those who complain about the 'shitty schools' are probably in ghetto areas and they have no way to leave there. They might be on welfare, they might work at a 'city' job and *are required* to reside in Chi only, they may have a low paying crappy job and cannot afford to move -

OK even people with $ here - you can get yourself trapped in here good. Anywhere, really. I presently stay on the W side here, outside of Chi proper, on the edge. $$ area. I am *not* loaded. I have another junk house far N, thats a long commute.

You can get yourself trapped. I could sell these things and move - but what if they don't sell. And go where? It's all $$$. And it's all pretty much 'like here'. Or BIG $$.

If you really wanna drive yourself NUTS - move here grinning smiley
Rents are very high, also, in all areas. 1K / mo. for something halfway decent in a non combat zone. *If* you can find that.

I was warned, I can't complain (I have always lived in the general area also, orig. from Lower MI - which believe it or not is considered part of the 'Greater Chicago Metro Area').

It's stupid expensive and stupid congested here. 20% + of the US population lives in this area. Cook Co. IL now second most populous in US, behind LA, CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_County,_Illinois

And then consider the mass of all the surrounding counties in the gen. area.

I hate this place! grinning smiley
I'm moving to Gary, Indiana. Fuck it. The shitty and polluted areas are the only (semi) reasonably priced spots to live here. Unless you want to move halfway to Iowa.

Yeah. You can get yourself stuck in here. Move here and find out the hard way LOL grinning smiley
If you move here you will want to punch yourself in the face on an hourly basis. Seriously.

~ Former Michigander
(Referred to as Fucking Michigander here.)

Ah chigago, even Hitler hates CFD Ambo 94

Zelda, I guess I was going by my area where cost of living is relatively low although a good school district costs more. This kind of ties into if you cannot afford a decent school district how can people afford and have kids at all? Oh, I know, they "just come" and next thing you know you cannot afford to move. I don't have kids but if I had one or 2 and I lived in Breed Hills, I would do anything I could to get them into better schools. Zelda does all that what is wrong with Chicago apply to a single person too? Because at least we can leave at "the drop of a hat" one other good thing about being CF.
Snark Shark
I have wondered this:

if teaching is such a pain in the ass that it sounds like, WHY DOES ANYONE DO IT?

I know you can END UP in crappy jobs out of need- like I have- but teaching you have to study and plan for.

Snark, I have heard some disturbing reasons why, and I don't mean for the teachers here to be offended, but the truth is some of what I have heard are reasons for some to go into elementary education:
"Nursing is too much blood, and sooooo hard!"
"Accounting is too many numbers".
"I want to get summer off"
"Oh, no, I flunked chemistry".
"I don't like math".

Again, I am sorry about this but I heard this at a branch campus of a large university that had elementary education.
Snark Shark
I have wondered this:

if teaching is such a pain in the ass that it sounds like, WHY DOES ANYONE DO IT?

I know you can END UP in crappy jobs out of need- like I have- but teaching you have to study and plan for.

That is why I always wonder why families live in bad school districts and don't move. Zelda explained for Chicago, but then, if you want to have a family, why take a job in Chicago if you have kids? Oh, but that would mean family planning (not just birth control) and breeders are not plan-ahead people.
reaperess
Teaching has gotten much more difficult over the years. Gone are the times of "copy this off the board and regurgitate it for the test."

I'm only speaking from being a substitute teacher at the high school level. I was paid jack-crap. I still had to plan, teach to government requirements, make sure all learning styles were covered, stayed after school, gave my personal phone number to parents, dealt with discipline problems like fist fights in my classroom and administration telling me they'd rather deal with it with no paperwork.

I read out loud to students who needed it. Re-wrote tests to meet the accommodations of LD students. Dealt with ED students. Became the hero to a few. I didn't use the bathroom all day, because we didn't have time. I ate lunch in 15 minutes, because we didn't have time.

I was put in a headlock by a student and unable to do anything about it, because we are not able to touch the students.

I was grabbed by the hair and held by a student and unable to do anything about it, because we are not allowed to touch the students.

I was physically shoved into a wall by a student, and unable to do anything about it.

Maybe you could consider it hazard pay, if nothing else.

Maybe you should consider teaching, if you're so upset about your own CHOICE of profession and so envious of teachers.

You wouldn't last a second.

Well if I did become a teacher, and had it the way all the teachers I know personally do, I certainly wouldn't be crying and whining. I realize though that some schools are a lot tougher than others and agree the not being able to touch a student is crap. It's why teachers of grade schoolers have to call the police for a feral, out of control brat and then everyone whines "he was ONLY 6. Why did the police need to get involved?" Uhhh, because a 6-year-old in a rage is impossible to control when you can't put a hand on him. I'm not saying teachers should smack a kid around but they should be allowed to physically control them. Back when I was in HS teachers could touch students and often did when a fight would break out. We had one teacher that was just out of a stint in the Marines and still in Marine shape. No one dared mess with him when he came running to break up a fight. There were a couple other teachers and a principal too who had no problems shoving the fighters up against the lockers, hard, and as far as I know, no parents came crying to the school that their little precious was abused by the meanie teacher. Ahhh, the goold ol' days.

Anyway, I COULD handle it but it's not what I choose to do. Again, more power to those that do choose it but I don't buy for a minute all the schools are as bad as the one you were at, and I get tired of watching the school portion of my property tax bill rise each year at a much faster rate than I get raises, yet all the teachers still whine how bad they have it. I don't know what it's like where you live but here the teachers' union is way too powerful.
Teaching involves having to do with KIDS and their BREEDERS.

Only for this, I agree it is a thought job I would never made.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
reaperess
me
Teachers in this state are well paid for what amounts to a part time job. They need to quit whining.

Do you know what goes into teaching? The planning that goes on behind the scenes can be a full-time job in and of itself. Add in all the government requirements, spayshul IEP kyds, cowtowing to administration, staying after school to sponsor clubs and/or sports, after school conferences, required trainings, etc, and you have a 55+ hour a week job.

ALSO, these teachers probably spend a goodly amount of their paychecks on classroom materials as well as the various school supplies that students either can't afford, forget, or lose. Many teachers give students lunch money, anonymously purchase prom tickets for the students who can't afford them, etc.

You need to stop whining, because you don't know half of what teachers do.

I have an idea. It ain't 76k a year's worth either. I can tell that by how many times I subbed for these snooty nincompoops in NJ. And snooty they are. The biggest cry babies treat subs like shit and act like alternate route teachers are the bane of humanity. Alternate route teachers already went through getting a degree or degrees and now have to take additional coursework to become a teacher and all you hear from traditional teachers is "they only take 16 weeks and I had to do 4 years". I saw your 4 year shit, too, parking next to the art and music buildings along with science majors and carrying in your three fucking books while the art and music majors have to trek with huge canvases and instruments and multiple large projects. You'll be sitting on your fat ass for 35 more years bitching about your students and alternative route teachers and subs-you should have gotten some exercise then that did not involve puking your guts out after your sorority bender. Tell me again how "unqualified" I am to be an art teacher-I was learning painting and drawing at six while you were playing with your Barbie dolls. Do you know how much studio time an art education major takes in college? No more than 20 credit hours-all but my art history was studio time for my BFA. And a BFA is a five year degree, unlike your 4 year art education degree. FIVE-in addition to all the years of art school. and you sit in your little classrooms bitching how "unqualified" I am to be an art teachers. Three albums in three different countries, taught drawing for two years with a success rate better than anything you guys have ever seen in your own classrooms and artwork in galleries-how's that for "unqualified"?? Not to mention the photography and the writing.
mr. neptune
Zelda, I guess I was going by my area where cost of living is relatively low although a good school district costs more. This kind of ties into if you cannot afford a decent school district how can people afford and have kids at all? Oh, I know, they "just come" and next thing you know you cannot afford to move. I don't have kids but if I had one or 2 and I lived in Breed Hills, I would do anything I could to get them into better schools. Zelda does all that what is wrong with Chicago apply to a single person too? Because at least we can leave at "the drop of a hat" one other good thing about being CF.

Mr. N ~

I think you can do OK here if you are single and make enough $. Working at Wal Mart or etc. probably won't cut it. You'd have to live in a crappy area or with other people, which plenty do, anywhere of course. I think the biggest issue here is that the housing costs are so high.

Breeders probably think they can either stay in their semi crappy 'hipster' area - or - move to Burbia. But once the kids come - they decide they need something 'better' - and the 'better' hipster areas are $, and lo(w) and behold - those 'Burbs are more $$ than you thought. Again, the nicer areas anyway. Easier to stay where you are and bitch and whine about the schools - and of course demand upgrades.
LOL @ the video Thom grinning smiley
Not a teacher, never have been, to address Zzelda. I was a sub. I am also assuming you are using the universal "you" instead of addressing me directly. As a sub, I definitely saw myself doing far more than some of the teachers for whom I subbed. Others were the brilliant ones for whom the pay was mediocre, at best. Unfortunately, it's not a meritocracy.

As for unions, the state in which I worked did not allow teachers' unions.

There is no point in fighting about who has it easier or harder, as all jobs have their ups and downs. Also, the strike in Chicago isn't over pay. It is over the new evaluation system, which the teachers see as punitive and unfair (and it probably is!) and benefits. Rahm needs to stop acting like a power-hungry dictator and come to a reasonable compromise with these people, so that they can get back to work. BTW, I am a teacher, have been for going on twenty two years. I worked hard in college and now I work hard at my job. I realize I am on the taxpayer's dime, and the job comes with some perks, but it also comes with a lot of stress. I do my best to educate the students every day, and am resentful of anyone who suggests otherwise.
gymrat
There is no point in fighting about who has it easier or harder, as all jobs have their ups and downs. Also, the strike in Chicago isn't over pay. It is over the new evaluation system, which the teachers see as punitive and unfair (and it probably is!) and benefits. Rahm needs to stop acting like a power-hungry dictator and come to a reasonable compromise with these people, so that they can get back to work. BTW, I am a teacher, have been for going on twenty two years. I worked hard in college and now I work hard at my job. I realize I am on the taxpayer's dime, and the job comes with some perks, but it also comes with a lot of stress. I do my best to educate the students every day, and am resentful of anyone who suggests otherwise.

You're telling a guy who is said to go into the shower rooms in Congress to intimidate law makers to stop acting like a tyrant? He assisted in spawning this mess with his commandant, he can deal with it all on his own afaic
reaperess
Not a teacher, never have been, to address Zzelda. I was a sub. I am also assuming you are using the universal "you" instead of addressing me directly. As a sub, I definitely saw myself doing far more than some of the teachers for whom I subbed. Others were the brilliant ones for whom the pay was mediocre, at best. Unfortunately, it's not a meritocracy.

I don't think you mean me, I've never been a teacher either. Zatoth?

Just popped back here to say that *it* is on TV *again*. I know. I should turn the damn thing off. I'm so sick of hearing about this that it's driving me to drink.

I should feel glad that this area is a separate school system and the beasts are in their institutions and not running amok.
Zzelda
reaperess

Just popped back here to say that *it* is on TV *again*. I know. I should turn the damn thing off. I'm so sick of hearing about this that it's driving me to drink.

I should feel glad that this area is a separate school system and the beasts are in their institutions and not running amok.

I did mean Zatoth - damn Z names, lol!

reaperess
Zzelda
reaperess

LOL my actual name is Zoe, too (Zelda is the name of my neighbor's dog. I couldn't think of anything else.)
Zzelda
reaperess
Zzelda
reaperess

LOL my actual name is Zoe, too (Zelda is the name of my neighbor's dog. I couldn't think of anything else.)

I thought that you were a Legend of Zelda fan...
mistress rotwang
Zzelda
reaperess
Zzelda
reaperess

I thought that you were a Legend of Zelda fan...

I am a fan of Zelda The Legendary Dachshund grinning smiley
Zzelda
reaperess

i taught adults how to draw for two years. i actually knew more than some of the teachers when i subbed, for example:

in a discussion on the movie "1492":
-the horse doing "fancy tricks" (the teacher so called it) was a war horse and the "tricks" were battle manuevers
-the devices used to peform executions were garrotes-chairs with coolars and sometimes spikes that would strangle and sever the spinal cord at the base of the skull

in "A Christmas Carol" by Dickens:
-When discussion on why a turkey would be something to get excited over, I pointed out turkeys would have been considered exotic animals in Europe at that time.Turkeys are native to the Americas.

-after having to quickly brush up on my ww1 history, i had a discussion with a class that they said was more than their regular teacher ever said on a subject. I believe I mentioned among things the Armenian massacres and how WW1 set in motion many of the problems we have today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login