Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

General opinions on "Dennis the Menace"?

Posted by k-man 
Is it me, or is the newspaper comic "Dennis the Menace" tiresome and unfunny? Maybe 50 years ago, when most adults expected children to be better behaved and more mature, Dennis's bad antics and big mouth (saying the wrong thing around guests, etc.) were hilarious. But now that most real-life chyldren act like Dennis, the humor has gone—and has been gone for a long time.

Now that real life echoes the comic, I say that newspapers should drop "Dennis the Menace". Maybe some could argue that the strip provides a service by showing wannabe breeders how their future almighty kyds are likely to behave, but we all know breeders never think their chyldren will act like that.

But what say the rest of you about "Dennis"?
Anonymous User
Re: General opinions on "Dennis the Menace"?
February 02, 2008
Dennis has left me cold for a long time now, but I've noticed the last few times I've caught the funny page that most of the ones I used to adore aren't as funny as they used to be. Rather, they don't amuse me as they once did.
Dennis the Menace is just Family Circus without the blatant Easter-time Catholic overtones. Maybe it's time to move Dennis there as Dolly's long-lost twin brother.

The funny comics are largely kept off your funny pages by 90-year-old Pickles fans who threaten to drop their subscription if they lose their precious, precious Marvin or Garfield. The good comics exist; the papers just can't make room for them.
February 03, 2008
I always wanted the old man neighbour to beat Dennis' ass. Punk ass bitch! grinning smiley
Anonymous User
February 03, 2008
Has anyone here heard of Pearls Before Swine? It's the opposite of Family Circus and all those other goody-goody old-fashioned family values comics. Stephan Pastis, the writer has even gone as far as to lampoon Family Circus a few times. One comic features the pig and the rat talking about bin Laden.

"Did you hear he escaped to the US?"
"Where's he gonna go? Everyone knows who he is. Nobody is so out of touch that they would hide him."
The third panel shows bin Laden with the Family Circus. The mom from FC is saying "Osama, after we finish saying grace we say 'Amen' not 'Death to America'. LoL

Sorry for going off-topic there, but everyone was already talking about comics, and I just had to mention PBS. It's a great comic that's full of dark humor, and a good thing to counteract all the other sugary-sweet cartoons in the paper.
February 03, 2008
the uk has a version of dennis the menace with his dog gnasher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_the_Menace_(UK)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
"Dennis the Menace" is pretty tiresome, agreed. But the kyd I'd most like to slap is Jeremy of "Zits." What kind of peckerneck takes the fambly car in the middle of the night so he can troll around some girl's neighborhood? Can you say "future stalker"? confused smiley Talk about an entitled little Mofo...

One would think that reading the comics would convince more folks NOT to have kyds. Seriously!
February 03, 2008
I agree.

Comics today are VERY VERY VERY breederific and extremely family-oriented, too!

That is why "Zits" Jeremy is EXTREMELY spoiled rotten, self-centered, and thinks with what's in his pants.eye rolling smiley If he got lucky, he'd get his girlfriend pregnant before he even gets out of high school!

And I HATE "For Better Or For Worse" so much I go to the website and smirk at all its dumb antics featuring Elly, the aging cow, John the clueless duh, Michael with his fabulous family (including his Bratz Babyz daughter who has giant, Angelina Jolie-sized lips), Elizabeth and her uncertain mating habits (and she's about to take in her geeky boyfriend's catty little spawn, too!), Little Miss Princess April, who no longer looks like a cartoon Suri Cruise and now looks more like a pop tart with hair tied up into a trollop-like bun, and of course the old folks (Grandpa Jim's second wife/nursemaid is SO selfless she actually put a portrait of his first wife right by his bed; I betcha she'd even hire a big-titted blonde lap dancer or bribe a supple little college girl to wake Jim up right away; she has completely nothing to live for anymore!:spin )

Honestly, I think today is a little worse than 1950s, where everyone are SO obsessed with being complete God-fearing do-gooders.eye rolling smiley

Even to the point of their kids growing up to be pampered perverts/skanks who just care about THEMSELVES!
February 04, 2008
banshee, try reading buddies in big places its NOT SAFE FOR WORK< it has childfree lines, its an ADULT comic.

http://www.bibp.com/

Rated BiBP for utter weirdness and adult content. NSFW!
This comic contains adult situations, nudity, and many other naughty things. It contains things that might be considered offensive to those with a weak disposition. It also contains some lowbrow humor. If you hate furry comics, for goodness sakes, hit your back button! If you don't like such things, maybe the links here are more to your liking!

WARNING: The situations in this comic are performed by cartoon characters. Do not attempt to emulate them, unless you want to explain to the doctor a situation like this.
News is available at the bottom of the page. Enjoy!

the lactation liberation front

http://www.bibp.com/cgi-bin/autokeenlite.cgi?date=20011029

theyre just children

http://www.bibp.com/cgi-bin/autokeenlite.cgi?date=20020502

this is one of the best kr8tive spelling

http://www.bibp.com/cgi-bin/autokeenlite.cgi?date=20060112

once again NOT SAFE FOR WORK

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
February 04, 2008
Ahhh yes the "comics" pa - sleeping

I'm sorry I must have fallen asleep...I can't get through the comics page without passing out from boredom anymore.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
February 05, 2008
The only comic I like is Dilbert and he's mostly in the business section. The rest is pathetic.
February 05, 2008
you do know scott adams has a site with his comic strips and he has ablog

http://www.dilbert.com/

his blog

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login