Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mumnesia

Posted by mercurior 
mumnesia
March 05, 2008
i forgot the child was in the car and melted., it is a bit of a pro breeder story, but it does have some useful knowledge. the secondly part is VERY interesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=526329&in_page_id=1770

It is one of the most unforgettable experiences of motherhood - the fact that you can't remember anything.

Friends' names are forgotten, phone messages go unreturned and you'll be blowed if you can recall why you just went to the kitchen.

Many new mums worry about the problem, see it as a sign of weakness and fear that it will be with them for good.

Unforgettable: But most new mothers have memory lapses

But yesterday scientists assured them that mumnesia is in fact a medical condition.

Researchers have documented it scientifically and found the key factors which cause the memory failures, including hormonal changes, tiredness, and the stress of having to look after a new child.

The good news is that the researchers believe women should not worry too much about the phenomenon.

It is usually a short-term problem which lasts for only a few months before things improve.

Women eventually find they have better memories than previously and are more able to cope with multi-tasking than before their babies were born.

The "mumnesia" phenomenon was studied by researchers at Boston University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who concluded that post-natal forgetfulness can be put down to four main factors: Priorities, pain, hormones, and fatigue.

Firstly, it is part of the way new mothers subconsciously readjust their lives after giving birth, says neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, who was one of the lead researchers.

"New mothers are dedicated to serving that little infant, determined to keep him or her alive no matter what. That's their number one priority above all else.

"Consequently less important matters get forgotten, or at least put into a less active area of the brain."

Secondly, forgetfulness is part of women's defence mechanism after the pain and rigours of childbirth, says Dr Sharon Phelan, a gynaecologist at the New Mexico School of Medicine.

She points out: "If our memories didn't fade, we'd never have sex again."

Thirdly, women's oestrogen levels plunge from incredibly high in late pregnancy to virtually non-existent after childbirth. And while oestrogen plays a key role in fertility, it also acts as a neurotransmitter, sending signals in the brain.

And finally, new mothers - as any would testify - get tired.

The researchers estimated that a woman can lose up to 700 hours of sleep, equivalent to two hours a night, in her baby's first year.

Women who breast feed lose the most, and fatigue is crucial when it comes to ability to remember things.

"Fatigue is a killer issue for memory," said MIT neuroscience professor John Gabrieli.

"Studies suggest people may replay events of the day in their minds while they sleep. When people don't sleep, or if their sleep is fragmented, events of the day may not be consolidated into long-term memories."

Breast-feeding also increases the time women suffer from this forgetfulness because it circulates hormones which help mothers relax and promote a "mellow, mildly unfocused feeling".

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: mumnesia
March 05, 2008
I love how these dumb asses will actually laugh about how forgetful they are.

"Tee hee hee, I'm a breeder, isn't it cute how I forget stuff cuz I'm just SOOOOO BIZZY."

Fucking bunch of idiots.
March 05, 2008
Goody! Now they've got a medical excuse for forgetting their kids in the car, bathtub, babyseat in the hallway, store or street corner.

I mean, really, one can't say out of one side of their face that their children are the most important, wonderful and glorious things they've ever experienced who you love more than life itself and then out the other side of your face ... "whoops, I forgot I had kids when I left the car in the parking lot for 8 hours in the middle of summer with the windows rolled up". It's just more bullshit to add to the bullshit pile they live on.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
March 05, 2008
Don't read the comments after the article unless you want to lose your lunch. moody smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login