Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sacked for smacking own son (reported by her other son)

Posted by mercurior 
sacked for smacking own son (reported by her other son)
March 29, 2008
Public school nurse sacked after son reports her for smacking his brother
By Nick Britten
Last Updated: 1:30am GMT 24/03/2008

A senior nurse at a leading public school has been sacked after smacking her 10-year-old son at home.

Fired: Susan Pope smacked her son on his bottom after he was abusive

Susan Pope, 45, was investigated by the police who decided she had done nothing wrong after she hit the boy on his bottom.

But the £25,000-a-year boarding school said that because social services remained involved in the case, it could damage the school's reputation. It fired her for alleged gross misconduct.

Mrs Pope, who has three children, is taking the school to an industrial tribunal claiming unfair dismissal.

The row is likely to reopen the debate about smacking children.

Mrs Pope said she hit her son on the bottom after he was abusive and repeatedly swore at her. Her elder son, who was 15, called the police. Mrs Pope and her husband, Folker, a chartered surveyor, were arrested and held in a cell for 32 hours.

They were released without charge and officers contacted them to say no action would be taken. However, Worcestershire social services, called when the couple were arrested, placed the 10-year-old and his younger sister, who was eight at the time, on the child protection register.

Malvern St James, one of the country's leading girls' boarding schools, said it could not risk damage to its reputation if word got out that the senior nurse's children were on the register. Mrs Pope said: "I feel I have done absolutely nothing wrong and yet have seen my reputation, career and life shattered by this.

"We are a typical middle-class family who earn well and used to enjoy three or four holidays a year. Now that has gone. Smacking is not against the law in this country and I am a firm believer of physical chastisement within reason. Children need boundaries.

"My son was behaving badly. I warned him that if he swore at me again I would smack him. He did so I smacked him, over his trousers, on the bottom. My 15-year-old, who was going through a rebellious stage, telephoned the police, something he now regrets and he has since retracted his allegation. The police have decided I did nothing wrong, there is no risk to my children, but the school feel its reputation is more important.

"I have been a practising nurse for 25 years with an unblemished career, a career which is now over. I have no idea why my children are still on the register. As far as I'm concerned social services jumped in too soon."

The incident happened in May last year. Mrs Pope was sacked in January. She has appealed against the decision and is awaiting the outcome. Social services have reviewed the case and decided that the children should stay on the register. A Worcestershire County Council spokesman said it could not comment. However, sources within the department indicated the Popes had not yet satisfied them that they had met the welfare criteria laid out when the children were placed on the register.

"There are issues that still need to be sorted, it's not simply about a child being smacked," the source said.

Malvern St James said it was "inappropriate" to comment on staff. In its letter to Mrs Pope dismissing her, it said that the role of senior nurse involved unsupervised contact with children when they are "particularly vulnerable" and the fact that her children are on the register "gives the school grounds to question whether you are suitable to hold the post".

It adds: "The school's reputation could be severely damaged in the event that any parents or potential parents became aware that the children of the school's senior nurse were on the child protection register."

Mrs Pope's lawyer, Nick Turner, said he would be suing the police for alleged wrongful arrest and false imprisonment.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
The 15 year old punk should be finding himself at a boarding school away from the family immediately...never welcome back to the home. At 18, he's on his own.

Hope the parents have the guts to do it.
Re: sacked for smacking own son (reported by her other son)
March 31, 2008
I couldn't agree more. Kids today think they can make the magic phone call and have moomy and duhddy arrested for disciplining them.

I'd tell them to go right ahead and have fun in that foster home. Brats.
Unreal...I remember when I was a kid, my cousin threatened to call CPS on my aunt because she wasn't letting her leave the table until she ate her vegetables. My aunt said to go right ahead-by the time they get to the house, they'll have something to report. Mind, this was in the early 80's, and kids weren't the little entiltle-shits they are today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login