Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This Might be of interest

Posted by mercurior 
This Might be of interest
March 29, 2008
About Abortion Review, I saw this on my travels its linked to the bpas.

thought it would be interesting. (yes there is a magazine about this subject. i dont think in america it would necessarily be permitted)

http://www.abortionreview.org/index.php/site/about/17/

Welcome to the online edition of Abortion Review.

Abortion Review is an update of news and comment on abortion issues. It is produced as an educational service by bpas, and edited by the journalist Jennie Bristow.

A print version of Abortion Review is produced quarterly, and available on subscription.

This is one very interesting thing

http://www.abortionreview.org/index.php/site/article/302/

Fewer than 10% of women are childless by choice in all countries except Belgium and Austria, and in Britain the proportion is only 7- 8%at age 42. Men and women who are uncertain about whether to have children comprise a larger group: in Britain, 12% of women and 21% of men at 42, and one third of women and almost one half of men at age 30.

So from this reported thing, men are more likely to be uncertain than women. Very interesting

"Social policies in regard to ‘family friendly working’ and childcare are likely to make little difference to the ‘childfree’, but may have a significant effect for the numerically larger group that is uncertain about childbearing. Fertility outcomes are likely to be affected to some degree at least by policies relating to availability of childcare, working arrangements and maternity leave"

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
blazing_apathy
Re: This Might be of interest
April 02, 2008
"i dont think in america it would necessarily be permitted"
What.the.FUCK! correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this supposed to be the land of the free? Freedom of SPEECH, freedom of religion, and all those higher ideals on which this nation was founded.

Oh holy hell, how far the US has fallen. (George Washington is now ashamed to be a George.)
April 02, 2008
a lot of states more so in the bible belt, wouldnt have a print version of this.

theres books been banned in america,

Ulysses was barred from the United States as obscene for 15 years, and was seized by U.S Postal Authorities in 1918 and 1930. The lifting of the ban in 1933 came only after advocates fought for the right to publish the book

John Cleland's Fanny Hill (also known as Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure) has been frequently suppressed since its initial publication in 1749. This story of a prostitute is known both for its frank sexual descriptions and its parodies of contemporary literature, such as Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders. The U.S Supreme Court finally cleared it from obscenity charges in 1966

D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover was the object of numerous obscenity trials in both the UK and the United States up into the 1960s.

The Savannah Morning News reported in November 1999 that a teacher at the Windsor Forest High School required seniors to obtain permission slips before they could read Hamlet, Macbeth, or King Lear. The teacher's school board had pulled the books from class reading lists, citing "adult language" and references to sex and violence

An illustrated edition of "Little Red Riding Hood" was banned in two California school districts in 1989. Following the Little Red-Cap story from Grimm's Fairy Tales, the book shows the heroine taking food and wine to her grandmother. The school districts cited concerns about the use of alcohol in the story.

Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice was banned from classrooms in Midland, Michigan in 1980, due to its portrayal of the Jewish character Shylock

So the FREEDOM of speech has been and can be denied, by refusing to publish books, and no doubt magazines too.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/challengesinitiator.cfm

Between 1990 and 2000, of the 6,364 challenges reported to or recorded by the Office for Intellectual Freedom (see The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books):

1,607 were challenges to “sexually explicit” material (up 161 since 1999);
1,427 to material considered to use “offensive language”; (up 165 since 1999)
1,256 to material considered “unsuited to age group”; (up 89 since 1999)
842 to material with an “occult theme or promoting the occult or Satanism,”; (up 69 since 1999)
737 to material considered to be “violent”; (up 107 since 1999)
515 to material with a homosexual theme or “promoting homosexuality,” (up 18 since 1999) and
419 to material “promoting a religious viewpoint.” (up 22 since 1999)
Other reasons for challenges included “nudity” (317 challenges, up 20 since 1999), “racism” (267 challenges, up 22 since 1999), “sex education” (224 challenges, up 7 since 1999), and “anti-family” (202 challenges, up 9 since 1999).

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
April 02, 2008
blazing_apathy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "i dont think in america it would necessarily be
> permitted"
> What.the.FUCK! correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't
> this supposed to be the land of the free? Freedom
> of SPEECH, freedom of religion, and all those
> higher ideals on which this nation was founded.
>
> Oh holy hell, how far the US has fallen. (George
> Washington is now ashamed to be a George.)

You with your hope, and belief...so funny. America is no where near as free as most people believe.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
April 02, 2008
People try the legal way.

Counts v. Cedarville School District, 295 F.Supp.2d 996 (W.D. Ark. 2003)
The school board of the Cedarville, Arkansas school district voted to restrict students' access to the Harry Potter books, on the grounds that the books promoted disobediance and disrespect for authority and dealt with witchcraft and the occult. As a result of the vote, students in the Cedarville school district were required to obtain a signed permission slip from their parents or guardians before they would be allowed to borrow any of the Harry Potter books from school libraries. The District Court overturned the Board's decision and ordered the books returned to unrestricted circulation, on the grounds that the restrictions violated students' First Amendment right to read and receive information. In so doing, the Court noted that while the Board necessarily performed highly discretionary functions related to the operation of the schools, it was still bound by the Bill of Rights and could not abridge students' First Amendment right to read a book on the basis of an undifferentiated fear of disturbance or because the Board disagreed with the ideas contained in the book.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/oifprograms/bbwreadout/bbwreadout.cfm

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/bannedchallengedreasons.cfm

as you can see blazing, its not so free as you would think. luckily some books managed to not be banned. if so many people challenge books, wanting them banned, and have done for hundreds of years. and they still do it.

Books Written By Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Achingly Alice Banned from the Webb City, Mo. school library (2002) because the book promotes homosexuality and discusses issues "best left to parents."

CHICAGO) More than a book a day faces expulsion from free and open public access in U.S. schools and libraries every year. There have been more than 8,700 attempts since the American Library Association (ALA) began electronically compiling and publishing information on book challenges in 1990

http://www.ala.org/ala/pio/presscentera/piopresskits/bannedbooksweek2006/bbwpk06.cfm

heres one that was banned by the us government is 2003

April 4, 2003
NewsWithViews.com

LAS VEGAS, NV -- Irwin Schiff is a well known author with over 500,000 books in print about the economy and the income tax. He is also now amongst the few who have had a book banned by the U.S. Government. On March 19, 2003, Federal Judge Lloyd George ordered Schiff to stop selling his book "The Federal Mafia" which has been in print for over 13 years. According to Schiff the Federal Government is using the American people's preoccupation with the war in Iraq as an opportunity to squelch freedom here at home.
http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/bannedbook.html

April 02, 2008
i am not saying the UK is better, we have the same sort of idiots here

Muslims' fury forces schools to shelve anti-homophobia storybooks for 5-year-olds

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=553008&in_page_id=1770

http://www.banned-books.com/bblista-i.html

sorry for going off topic, but it does have a link to parents, a lot of these banned or challenged books are in school libraries. and who complains the most the parents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login