Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Childed Friend In Need of Advice

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Childed Friend In Need of Advice
April 04, 2008
A long time friend, who is actually a wonderful parent to her 13 yo daughter and 11 yo son, has called me asking for advice, she left a VM on my cell phone just a few minutes ago. She is re-entering the work force for the first time since 1993.

What do we tell such a person? I wouldn't even know where to begin. A dear friend she is, indeed, but we are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to this.
Re: Childed Friend In Need of Advice
April 04, 2008
The answer is "42".

What was the question?
April 04, 2008
keep your child life and work life seperate, Work is for working, home is for home.

You are there to work, not talk about the kids every second. yes have pictures on your desk, no dont send "QUTE" emails with pictures.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
April 04, 2008
Merc has it on the money about keeping the work and home life separate. The economy is in the toilet. Your friend may have to be content with something far less than she did before 1993. Being out of the workforce for 15 years is a long time. Professions change. IT is constantly changing. Skills become outdated. Perhaps, doing work on a temporary basis for staffing agencies can get your friend to see what fits her best at t his stage in her life.
April 07, 2008
Hard to say when you don't know what kind of field she's trying to (re)enter. If it's something that requires specific knowledge, I'd recommend she go back to school, or at least take some classes to update her knowledge. 15 years is a long time to be away from any field. If she needs to build work experience/history she should try volunteering at an agency that offers similar services to the field she wants to go into. Or just suck it up and take the first job that comes along, food service, answering phones...whatever. Needless to say, she should not list "SAHM" on her resume.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login