Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A movie you must see

Posted by That CF Chick 
That CF Chick
A movie you must see
April 08, 2008
I recently saw 'Cat On a Hot Tin Roof' and couldn't believe how honest it was about greedy breeders, bratty sprogs, and the way parents hurt their children and vice versa. I doubt such a movie could be successful in this age of hypersensitive breeder pleasing. I haven't read or seen the play yet and so I don't know how faithful to it the movie is, but I can definitely recommend the film for anyone who loves a good story that also gives the childfree viewer a sense of satisfaction about our choice.

If you're unfamiliar with this movie, it stars Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman as Maggie and Brick, a troubled married couple who are visiting the home of Brick's parents, Big Daddy and Big Mama. Brick is the favorite of two sons and has an older brother named Gooper. Gooper is married to a scheming breeder (Big Daddy even calls her that word at one point!) named Mae, and they have five loud, messy children with another on the way. Gooper and Mae are plotting to take over the estate after Big Daddy dies, a plan that worries Maggie as much as her shaky relationship with Brick does. Big Daddy is eager to see his favorite son and sassy daughter-in-law procreate. Maggie also wants children but shows disdain for Gooper and Mae's demons, whom she calls "no-necked monsters." She tells Big Mama, "I adore children if they're well-bred", and struggles not to lose her temper when one of the bratty she-sprogs howls at her, "You're just jealous because you can't have kids!" There were many moments when I longed for a Bingo card and a Sharpie marker.

There are no childfree characters in this movie, but I think you'll appreciate Maggie's attitude toward the spoiled, unruly children and their greedy sow of a mother. One of the first scenes shows her shoving ice cream in the face of one of the girls after the little snot flings the stuff all over Maggie's legs (Mae's reaction: "Don't you dare, Maggie! How could you do that to a chyld?!). It's also amusing to see Big Daddy grimacing whenever Mae encourages her brats to be major attention whores in the hopes of getting on Big Daddy's good side with their kyoot antics.
Anonymous User
Re: A movie you must see
April 08, 2008
It was on tv recently and I managed to see the part where Maggie yells at one of the kids in the room.
Loved her white dress! I'd like to find a similar one!
Nour
Re: A movie you must see
April 08, 2008
What happens in the play: Brick is pushing down his feelings for men while staying married to Maggie. At the end, Maggie announces she is pregnant even though she isn't. Brick ends up backing her story in front of the family. (Even though they aren't having intercourse) At the very end, she locks the liquor cabinet and tells him that he can drink only if they have sex first.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login