Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Perfect Baby, Perfect body

Posted by mercurior 
Perfect Baby, Perfect body
April 14, 2008
Sunday reflections — perfect bodies

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/sunday-reflections-perfect-bodies.html

In our quest for the perfect baby and the perfect body, are we losing what makes us human? As genetic tests for disease risks are being created at lightning speed, can we trust that commercial interests in genetic profiling won’t bypass the integrity of the scientific process? Are such concerns justified? Have we considered the ethics of striving to create a genetically elite class?

Ronald M. Green, Ph.D., professor of ethics at Dartmouth College, has written an article for today’s Washington Post with one perspective on the ethics of our quest for perfect babies and perfect bodies. His positive outlook for the future possibilities of “reprogenetics,” described in his new book, Babies by Design: The Ethics of Genetic Choice, was also a topic among the critical discussions of genetic profiling and the ethics of designer babies among ethicists in a recent issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. For today’s Sunday reflections, we look at these articles.

Should improvement— boosting memory, augmenting physical prowess, and extending longevity—of already healthy people be tolerated, given the ethical and economic concerns? Already, attractiveness is the primary trait coveted by infertile individuals relying on egg and sperm donations to have children...

Genetic intervention has to focus on what is reasonably construed as being in the best interests of the child. Who can be trusted to determine what is reasonable? Even the role of parents in the setting of genetic modification is potentially problematic. Given the opportunity, what mother and father would not elect to have a child with an athletic build, excellent vision, strong teeth, and superior intelligence? Why not add a great complexion and nice hair, too? Genetic perfection can be thorny, though. How might a parent’s love and family relationships be affected if the designer child does not meet expectations? ... In the context of genetic engineering, does not such an attitude threaten a child’s freedom and curb his or her future identity?

Forthcoming genetic technologies will provide an opportunity to control human evolution. The possibilities and challenges are staggering. What exactly is it that makes individuals human? Is society willing to risk the formation of a genetically elite class—a genobility? Does society possess the humility, solidarity, and responsibility to handle genetic enhancements?

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Perfect Baby, Perfect body
April 14, 2008
Things that "look" perfect are far from actually "being" perfect.

Quality, not quantity, folks.
Re: Perfect Baby, Perfect body
April 14, 2008
i know that, you know that.. they dont..

The ugliest woman i ever met was a "perfect" body she was the classical image of beauty, but dear god she made me want to be sick.. she had the most repellant soul, ever..

the most beautiful was my great aunt. she was, handsome, but when she smiled you fell in love with her. the world seemed brighter.

who is to say if the soul, the heart of a person must be perfect if they look perfect.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login