Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad Manners

Posted by mercurior 
Bad Manners
April 28, 2008
Bad manners are the biggest problem facing Britain, says study - and parents are to blame
By NEIL SEARS - More by this author »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=562464&in_page_id=1770

Bad manners are the biggest problem facing our society, according to a study.

Spitting and swearing are most unpopular manifestations of this, along with not saying please or thank you, and pushing in.

Parents are largely to blame for the declining standards, according to the survey for a TV programme.

More than half of those questioned said poor manners were the biggest problem facing society. Just over two thirds said they were the cause of anti-social behaviour.

Good manners are a thing of the past. According to a study, bad manners are one of the biggest problem facing our society

An even higher percentage, 86 per cent, agreed that Britons have become ruder over the last ten years. Ninety per cent of those questioned blamed the decline in standards on the example offered by parents.

Just under three quarters said manners should be taught as part of the school curriculum.

The survey was carried out for the ITV1 Tonight programme Bad Manners Britain.

Researchers also toured London with the British Transport Police and found many adults are just as impolite as the children most commonly blamed.

British Transport Police Sergeant Wendy Coad said: "I've had as many adults, if not more adults, be rude to me than school children."

The top ten examples of bad manners, in order of rudeness, according to the survey were: Spitting, swearing, queue jumping/pushing in, not saying please or thank you, playing loud music in a public space, belching in public, speaking loudly on a mobile phone, inconsiderate driving, not giving a seat up for a pregnant woman, and not holding the door for the person behind.

Bad Manners Britain: Tonight is on ITV1 at 8pm this evening.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Bad Manners
April 28, 2008
People aren't teaching their kids anything anymore. Just get them raised and out of the house. Where are the joys of parenting? Those Kodak moments? I guess watching junior spitting on the streets will have to do.
Dark-Star
Re: Bad Manners
April 30, 2008
I know most every generation has some level of young'uns acting like trolls...but I think this one has hit a new low. Kids as young as 8 are swearing like sailors (heard it myself), screwing at age 10 and becoming gangbangers at 12.

Someday people may ask about how kids acted 'in my day'. And ya know what? I won't be able give them the spiel that they were all polite and said please & thank you, etc. I'll just say they had less manners than a trained dog and let it go at that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login