Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Give parents at work a passport to help them work flexibly"

Posted by yurble 
"Give parents at work a passport to help them work flexibly"
January 11, 2013
With the usual complaints about the inflexibility of work culture comes the suggestion that parents should get some sort of 'passport' to facilitate work flexibility.

But just parents, mind you, because "it's quite possible to forget your hobbies, but not those ever-present responsibilities and implications of parenthood." So "what's needed is more recognition and awareness that parents are different." Ultimately, it will help us all, you know:

This kind of scheme could well be divisive. Parents who jump up waving their passport whenever times get tough are never going to be popular. But the fact is that no one is winning in the current, ossified set of arrangements. Stressed parents make poor workers. Stressed parent bosses, in particular, can make the worst managers. Only by making parent roles visible and part of an ongoing conversation about how people work best will we ever get closer to a practical, maybe even enjoyable, compromise.

Well, nobody may be winning, but I'm a lot less bitter if we're all suffering equally, because then we're all inspired to fix the problem - whereas if parents get more goodies you can be sure that the rest of us will be quietly forgotten.

From the peanut gallery:

There are some bloody miserable people in the world. Having a child is a perfectly natural thing to want to do, and it's important that a substantial number of our workforce become parents. Yes, it's annoying to non-parents that parents get special treatment, but get over it.
Re: "Give parents at work a passport to help them work flexibly"
January 11, 2013

Stressed parents make poor workers. Stressed parent bosses, in particular, can make the worst managers.

There, Guardian author, fixed it for you.
January 11, 2013
I will get over it by not hiring them in the first place. There, you have flexibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
"Give parents at work a passport to help them work more flexibly"

NO.

That is all.
I would totally be okay with more flexibility if it went in all directions. If non-childed people got the same kind of flexibility and the same kind of family leave that childed people have, I would be totally for it. But it DOESN'T go both ways. They often just want us to do their jobs for them because they think that since we don't have kids, we aren't doing anything substantial in life.
January 12, 2013
The way it is now in the workplace in major companies, and even some smaller businesses, is EXTREMELY prejudicial towards the parents' favor, MOOS in particular. HOW is it fair any employee receive paid time off from work, "flex time", health insurance for extra people they create, and many other perks over another employee for no other reason than the chosen lifestyle of parenthood? That doesn't even begin to count all the slack the unchilded pick up for their childed and/or inpig co-workers for time missed for loaf shitting and loaf care and the extra holidays and week ends the unchilded are expected to pick up so the parents can enjoy life! The ONLY way to make any of this fair to all is to offer the same privileges, including work scheduling and paid days off, for EVERYONE, across the board, for whatever reason.shrug

I see no reason a new Moo should get paid time off up to 3 months in some cases and someone needing to take that same amount of time off to care for an ailing parent, for instance. Not only don't they get paid, but unless they jump through hoops to be covered under FMLA, they face losing their jobs. What many don't realize is the company has to be a certain size for FMLA to kick in, where as even a very small company doesn't DARE fire a cow for missing work to sluice without running the risk of a discrimination lawsuit.thumbs updown I think we need to go back more to like it was when Ebeneezer Scrooge was in charge and FUCK little Gimp Timmy and his parents. If they can't afford a Christmas Goose, some plum pudding, and some fucking toys from Santa, they should have thought of that BEFORE they cranked out a dozen kids and watered down their gene pool in the process.eye rolling smiley

Today, becoming inpig and "starting a famblee" is a CHOICE. It's also a choice the parents should bear the brunt of any sacrifices that need to be made. Even according to the breeders they get all these perks like the being taken care of in their old age, no lonely cat filled existences later in life, and a guaranteed full table during the holidays with all their BEAUUUUUUUUTIFUL grand-loaves, so THAT should be their reward.bouncing and laughing Since we all know those pie in the sky "rewards" aren't anything beyond fairy tales, if they ARE going to get special treatment then the LEAST they can do is admit no one will be wiping their ass when they are old who isn't paid to do it. Otherwise, I say that is reward enough with all these unbreakable loaf bonds and whatnot.shrug

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 12, 2013
I'd only be for it if every time they waved their passport around for privileges, their salary would be reduced by 10%.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
January 12, 2013
Instant cure for this? EVERYONE claims to be a parent. EVERYONE. I doubt they'd dare ask everyone to produce birth certificates/adoption papers. And everyone uses their "passport" to get fuck-all done at work. All it would take is one quarter of "parenting" for the company to yank the program.

But I'd have a great time during that quarter. All the CF would. We'd disappear to our invisible kids' soccer games, teacher conferences, doctor appointments, and music recitals on a daily basis.

In fact, if we're using the defnition of "flexible" that these idiots seem to use, we'd be the most damn flexible workers of all!
January 12, 2013
Let me get this straight- all of the workers would be hired under pretty much the same wages, benefits and conditions.

Then, there would be a extra-special class of people who would get extra nice conditions, additional time off, work flexibility, and many more benefits over all of their co-workers because they had:

red hair,
dark hair,
light skin,
dark skin,
male gender,
indeterminite gender,
non- traditional homelife,
ill parents,
serious personal illness,
multiple disabilities,
mental health issues,
addiction issues,
social service commitments,
multiple years of service,

shat out a kid or two.

And those co-workers that are not permitted equal flexibility would have extra burdens of the work that the special class was not doing, but still getting paid for.

WOW!
Sounds great for somebody!
January 12, 2013
I've had major issues with depression in the past. To the point I've been hospitalized. Sometimes life, and in particular work stress, causes major problems for me. I would like a damn "passport" to take care of my damn self sometimes. I am not squatting out any dependants because I know that would be the kiss of death for my mental health. So, honestly parents, fuck you sideways with a hockey stick. If I have to show up and do my damn job in the midst of a suicidal haze then you can miss Jimmy's fucking soccer practice and do the same.
January 12, 2013
stillwaters
I've had major issues with depression in the past. To the point I've been hospitalized. Sometimes life, and in particular work stress, causes major problems for me. I would like a damn "passport" to take care of my damn self sometimes. I am not squatting out any dependants because I know that would be the kiss of death for my mental health. So, honestly parents, fuck you sideways with a hockey stick. If I have to show up and do my damn job in the midst of a suicidal haze then you can miss Jimmy's fucking soccer practice and do the same.

This x100. I've been there before, and you just know that if you had spawned, then they'd be falling over themselves to help you! But because you don't, they don't give a shit. How exactly is that fair?

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

January 12, 2013
And yet these idiot breeders fail to realize that "taking care of me when I'm old" will require flexibility at their children's future jobs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
January 12, 2013
I promise that as soon as I am back in the work force I will find ways to subtly sabotage any breeder I work with. This joke of an article makes me want to do that even more.
Well, maybe if employers stopped letting breeders fuck off all the time and get paid for it, THEY'D STOP BEING SHITTY WORKERS.

Giving them MORE leeway to do fuck-all and simply dump it on the unchilded will just make everything worse. But they don't care, do they. They only care about rubbing the udders of lazy, self-entitled breeders.

Parents were not always bad workers. There was a time when you either did the job, or they fucking canned you. Parents worked then.

The problem here is not that parents are "different." The problem here is that employers allow parents to simply not work, so they have become lazy as fuck.

What we really need is to just stop letting them get away with murder in the workplace.
January 12, 2013
LoveToLurk
And yet these idiot breeders fail to realize that "taking care of me when I'm old" will require flexibility at their children's future jobs.

Exactly. Their chilllldren will not have time for moo and off she will go to the cheapest and filthiest home you can imagine.
January 13, 2013
At my job, they dont fuck with that shit at all. One time this extremely pregnant Moo showed up and asked my manager for an application. I had to withhold my snarky comments due to her filthy ass "Save the Trees" t-shirt stretch over her nasty bloated gut. Oh yeah! Because squirting one out will accomplish the goal of less resource depletion.. but I digress. The moment that piggo handed the application to my manager and she waddled out the door.. He immediately turned around and threw her application directly in the trash. My respect for him grew 3 sizes that day.. bouncing and laughing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
January 13, 2013
catharsist
At my job, they dont fuck with that shit at all. One time this extremely pregnant Moo showed up and asked my manager for an application. I had to withhold my snarky comments due to her filthy ass "Save the Trees" t-shirt stretch over her nasty bloated gut. Oh yeah! Because squirting one out will accomplish the goal of less resource depletion.. but I digress. The moment that piggo handed the application to my manager and she waddled out the door.. He immediately turned around and threw her application directly in the trash. My respect for him grew 3 sizes that day.. bouncing and laughing

I did the same damned thing when I was a manager in charge of new hires. I made certain to always say and advertise, "We are TAKING APPLICATIONS", rather than "We are hiring". Sure, I'd take their application, but NEVER hired an inpig and I wouldn't hire cows either if I could help it. The problem though is when they become inpig AFTER they are hired. Then, you can't fire them without EXCELLENT cause, totally unrelated to their inpigness in any way, without risking a lawsuit.:headbrick

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 14, 2013
kidlesskim
The problem though is when they become inpig AFTER they are hired. Then, you can't fire them without EXCELLENT cause, totally unrelated to their inpigness in any way, without risking a lawsuit.:headbrick

And this is how some employers avoid hiring women of calving age. Yeah, i've just started my job search again and i can't get this thought out of my head. One application even had a question about availability and if there are any "obstacles" that would hinder you from work. Of, course i mentioned that i'm very flexible and i am ready for sudden changes in the schedule (the work has 3 shifts). But assumptions are assumptions - you can never prove that an employer refuses you due to your childbearing status.

I hear you on that because one of my friends told that she has aquaintances who get knocked up on purpose when they make cuts in the staff, because they know that law protects them and you can't do anything. Even with an excellent cause they still might turn it around and accuse you of discrimination.
January 17, 2013
Hey exhausted and whinny parents

flex this:

I could never work in an environment overrun with breeders. We have very few at my place, and the ones that are there bug the shit out of me. They are the first ones to leave, the last ones in and always the ones to leave a huge mess behind that someone else (CF) has to clean up.
January 18, 2013
blackpearl
And this is how some employers avoid hiring women of calving age.

It sucks, but it is true. The reason why (in my mind) they do this is because they know the drill already. You hire a woman into a 40-hour a week position with full benefits and what does she do? She gets knocked up, repeatedly. If she takes her full three months off, then she is only working 75% of the year. Add to that the fact that these cows use the "come in late, leave early, take lots of time off for sickness" thing, which I've noticed corresponds to them working an average of 30 hours per week.* That has them working 75% of the time in any given work week. And then they yell about "equality" in the workplace, equal pay, and whatnot. Ummm... YOU'RE not even putting in the EQUAL amount of work you damn cows!!! angry flipping off

*I've actually tracked a couple of my co-workers from a few jobs and came to the realization that they NEVER once put in a full 40 hours in ANY WEEK!! If a man did that, he would probably be fired.

sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
indecision may or may not be my problem
January 18, 2013
lisbeth
blackpearl
And this is how some employers avoid hiring women of calving age.

It sucks, but it is true. The reason why (in my mind) they do this is because they know the drill already. You hire a woman into a 40-hour a week position with full benefits and what does she do? She gets knocked up, repeatedly. If she takes her full three months off, then she is only working 75% of the year. Add to that the fact that these cows use the "come in late, leave early, take lots of time off for sickness" thing, which I've noticed corresponds to them working an average of 30 hours per week.* That has them working 75% of the time in any given work week. And then they yell about "equality" in the workplace, equal pay, and whatnot. Ummm... YOU'RE not even putting in the EQUAL amount of work you damn cows!!! angry flipping off

*I've actually tracked a couple of my co-workers from a few jobs and came to the realization that they NEVER once put in a full 40 hours in ANY WEEK!! If a man did that, he would probably be fired.

Get ready for how much PAID maternity and parental leave moos get from our Canadian federal government... 52- 104 weeks.
Some work places extend paid parental leave for even more months with their own workplace benefit package.

Canada's Pregnancy/ Parental Leave

"Applying for EI maternity benefits

You can apply for EI maternity benefits before you give birth. In fact, you can start receiving benefits during the eighth week before your due date or before the actual week you give birth. You cannot receive EI maternity benefits more than 17 weeks after the week you were expected to give birth or the week you actually gave birth,..."

"If your newborn is hospitalized, the 17-week time frame can be extended by the number of weeks your child is in the hospital, up to 52 weeks after the date of birth. "

"Applying for EI parental benefits

For biological parents, EI parental benefits can be paid starting from the child's date of birth. For adoptive parents, parental benefits can be paid starting from the date the child is placed with them for adoption.

Usually, EI parental benefits can only be paid during the 52 weeks after the week the child is born or, in the case of adoption, during the 52 weeks after the week the child is placed with you..."

"How long will I receive EI maternity or parental benefits?

EI maternity benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 15 weeks. You cannot receive EI maternity benefits beyond 17 weeks after the expected or actual week of childbirth, whichever of the two is later.

EI parental benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 35 weeks. The payments must be made within 52 weeks of the week your child was born or the week your child was placed with you for adoption.

The eligibility period for EI parental benefits can be extended for members of military families

The Government of Canada introduced a new measure in July 2010 to extend the eligibility period for EI parental benefits, up to a maximum of 104 weeks."

" For most people, combined EI special benefits—sickness, maternity, parental, or compassionate care benefits—can be paid for up to 50 weeks in a 52-week benefit period.

For biological mothers, however, the maximum number of weeks payable could increase to 71 weeks when EI maternity and parental benefits are combined with EI sickness and EI compassionate care benefits"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login