Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

single mothers are better off than married couples

Posted by mercurior 
single mothers are better off than married couples
May 06, 2008
Couples with children 'have to work THREE TIMES as hard as single mothers to stay above the poverty line', claims report
By STEVE DOUGHTY - More by this author »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=564191&in_page_id=1770

Couples with children have to work three times as hard as single mothers to stay above the poverty line, an inquiry found yesterday.

The findings back up claims of bias in Labour's complicated tax and benefits system.

A couple with children on the minimum wage must put in 48 hours of work a week before their income reaches the Government's official poverty line, according to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

It may not be the nuclear ideal but single parent families are earning up to three times more than their two-parent counterparts

But a single mother can reach the same standard of living with just 16 hours a week on the minimum wage, thanks to the effect of tax credits and other benefits.

The calculations are based on the Government's definition of poverty - households which earn less than 60 per cent of the national median income.

This average figure was calculated as £18,928 last year, meaning families earning £11,357 - £218 a week - after tax and National Insurance are officially living in poverty.

The level is adjusted depending on the number of children in a household.

Yesterday's report by the foundation, which has links to Labour, presents powerful evidence of bias towards lone parents in the benefits system.

It means that both members of a low-income couple with

young children have little choice but to leave their children with relatives, childminders or in a nursery and go out to work.

If the mother is determined to stay at home, her partner faces the burden of working 48 hours a week - the maximum allowed under current legislation - to compensate.

Tories say that the system effectively encourages couples to split up.

Not only that, but the tax and benefits penalty for staying together is likely to increase without radical reforms to the welfare system.

In 20 years' time, if it is unchanged and if annual benefit increases continue at the present rate, lowincome couples will have to work an astonishing 72 hours a week between them to beat the poverty trap.

Tory Work and Pensions spokesman Chris Grayling said: "It is nothing short of madness in a country where family breakdown is becoming a real challenge to have a tax and benefits system that actually makes it attractive to live apart.

"If we are going to be serious about tackling family breakdown then this has got to change."

The most recent available figures showed that 200,000 more children have fallen below the official poverty line.

Don Draper, a consultant to the CARE charity, said: "Well over half of all poor children live in couple households - 1.7million of the total of 2.8million. It is the Treasury that is failing these children. Their parents are doing all they can."

He added: "Until the Treasury will accept that it has made a fundamental mistake with the design of tax credits there seems little hope that there can be any long-term reduction in child poverty."

'I was better off before I got married,' says ex-single mum

Sarah Ley, who has three young children with her husband Adrian, has also experienced life as a single mother.

As a children's entertainer, Mr Ley earns an average of £12,000 a year, but last year he ended up taking home just £8,680.

His wife is a full-time mother to Laurie, nine, Lucie, seven, and Rowan, three. She chooses not to go to work because of the exorbitant cost of hiring a childminder to come to their rural home in Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire.

The family receive financial help from the Government in the form of £491 a month in child tax credits and £55 a month in working tax credits.

But Mrs Ley, 42, believes the support they now receive is far less than the help she got when she was a single parent.

Before she met Adrian, 39, she was living as a single mother, bringing up her eldest children Leon, now 23, and Letitia, 18.

"I've seen both sides of the coin and I definitely believe that financially it was easier when I was single, because I knew there was this pot of money I could depend on," she said.

"During the summer months, we barely see Adrian because he's always at work."

In the busy periods, Mr Ley works more than 50 hours a week. But his income still cannot pay for foreign holidays for the family.

Mrs Ley added: "We don't drink, don't smoke, and very rarely go out - fundraising for the junior school disco is as good as it gets."

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Single moms are the most vile, desperate people on the planet, You know that 15 years ago, there was no such term as a single mother, unless the father was killed or died, now every fucken skank 16 yr old is a single mom. we are doomed as a society.

I went to kroger to pick up a few items, i was there about 10 minutes and I saw 7 pregnant people within that time frame. 6 appeared to be under the age of 16. We are so fucked,
nokyds4me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Single moms are the most vile, desperate people on
> the planet, You know that 15 years ago, there
> was no such term as a single mother, unless the
> father was killed or died, now every fucken
> skank 16 yr old is a single mom. we are doomed as
> a society.
>
> I went to kroger to pick up a few items, i was
> there about 10 minutes and I saw 7 pregnant people
> within that time frame. 6 appeared to be under
> the age of 16. We are so fucked,

Oh is that ever the case. Single whores are only better off because they are ticks and boo hoo goody two shoes state they are not to be judged, condemned, or otherwise have their widdle feelings hurt.
Mind you the statistics only focus on the moo whore. The statistics say otherwise about the well-being of the child that, despite anybodies views, really needs both parents to have the best chance at a good or better life.
This seems to follow what seems to be a prediliction for rewarding bad or evil behaviour and penalizing those who do things traditionally or play by the rules.
I'm with you: I think we're screwed. Matter of fact, I think the whole freakin species is screwed.
Single moo = attention-whoring cunt.

Childfree = happy whether rich or poor.

Any other math that needs correcting?
The reason why that single mum are wealthy and couples are struggling because:

1) The Couples work their butt-off the pay their living and feed their kids as real and genuine parents.

2) Single mum gets all the benefits, everything for nothing.

3) Single mums lives with their parents so they can live-off their parents so they can support the single-moo's grankid for free.
It's certainly no better over here in The United States. In these parts, they have the scam down pat. Basically, they shack up with the current baby daddy who either has a job or works for cash under the table in construction or landscaping, but of course they don't claim any of his income or that he lives with them. Then, they work JUST enough as a waitress, here and there, to make the 3500k a year or so that's required to get the Earned Income Credit which is included in a tax "refund" they get which is roughly $3500 per kid, in ADDITION to all of the other kid deductions. Since they earn such a low wage, they get ALL of their income taxes paid in back as well, state and federal. Also, they only claim half their tips at 8%, and most get tipped at LEAST 15-20% of their total sales, more money stolen and not taxed.

Along with that they get free or greatly reduced rent, reduced utility bills, free medical, and a food debit card. At tax time around here it's very common for them to line up at the rapid refund office, and emerge beaming as they generally get between a 6-8k "refund check", but they only EARNED 3-4k. It's basically just another welfare check with a different name. You can't see the pavement in the parking lot at any of pay by the week the rent to own places during tax season around here, and it's standing room only for WEEKS at area restaurants as they live high on the hog, and wallyworld is packed from front to back, and nearly to the ceiling with nothing but white trash welfare whores and their kids. I hate each and every one of them.
>>>>>>>You know that 15 years ago, there was no such term as a single mother, unless the father was killed or died, now every fucken skank 16 yr old is a single mom. we are doomed as a society.

I know, everyone uses it. Before you were divorced, which usually implied that your ex-spouse took the brats on the weekend or whatever plus, unless he/she was a deadbeat, you got money for child support. Now, it is boo hoo, I'm a single parent. Which implies but isn't true, that you never get a break from your kids or get any outside money. What gets me, usually the divorced moo AND duhd will tell you that...which makes no sense, you both are raising the kyds in separate homes, but they both use it because it brings on sympathy, the whores.

And, if the dad was killed, you were a widow...which at a glance might imply you got money from a policy or your IL's still may help w/ childcare and money if they could.

But it started w/ the sluts of any age who now just sleep around w/o BC and the moos wanted a babbye whether or not they ever found Mr. Right by age 40. They didn't waaaannnt to be JUDGED so they used this BS term and the media and the PC 90's hooked onto the word and now everyone wears "single mom" as a badge of honor.

I know people who include it in their bios at Professional functions and work related things (they don't include that they slept with some rich married guy and had their baby at 40 because their biological clock was ticked-out and this was their last chance to ever call themselves mommie) , all my adversaries use it at court for sympathy and the jurors all use it too to describe themselves or for sympathy to get the judge to dismiss them.

It makes my eyes-roll every time.
"Single mom" has taken on a negative connotation in the last few years among civilized society. The term 'Single mom", USED to mean a divorced mother who had no support from the father and at one time yielded a bit of respect since they generally worked their asses off and maintained a home. Now though, 'Single mom' is synonymous with WELFARE WHORE in many cases, who can't seem to pick the right man to breed with so she keeps trying out different ones until she can get it right. The really young ones are just a welfare whores in training who can't keep her legs closed and will likely never get married. They will likely have so many kids, that like a big oak has a ring for every year, she'll have to count stretch marks to remember how many kids she has had.

She will have so many by the time she reaches 30, she may even lose some along the way by forgetting they are in locked SUV's during the summer, left on back decks all night during the winter, and then a few may be lost by falling into backyard pools, off drunk friend's laps into smoldering bbq pits, or left unattended in cribs around Pit Bulls and Dobermans. Being a single mom must be hard on the memory when they seem to keep forgetting where they left their kids.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login