Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No wonder kids are screwed up

Posted by mercurior 
No wonder kids are screwed up
May 10, 2008
from the junkfoodscience, blog. Even if kids are respectful, taught proper parenting, then they get screwed with these things. as she writer says the world is insane. So they are screwing up the next generation of kids, who might have had a chance..

There is simply no other explanation. In no particular order, I present as evidence:

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/05/its-official-world-has-gone-nuts.html

Personal trainers and mini-exercise treadmills, child-size stair steppers, rowers and spinning bikes are now offered for children 3+ years of age: The Oxy-Kids classes in Sydney are already booked. Parents work out in an adjoining gym. The mother of a 4-year old said her son’s trainer told him fruit was a healthy food to eat before going to the gym.

The first ever fat camp for toddlers under age 5: A professor from Leeds Metropolitan University has launched a fat camp for toddlers called Too Fat to Toddle.

Childhood obesity blamed on children eating playground mulch and wearing flip flops: Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center issued a press release claiming their study (unpublished) found that children in daycare weren’t getting enough exercise because they were wearing flip-flops; and that workers didn’t want to deal with playground mulch because it got in their shoes and was messy and being eaten by the kids.

A new ten-week healthy eating course for toddlers age 2 to 4 years old has been started in the UK: Called Mini-MEND, it will teach them and their parents healthy eating and exercise, food labels and portion control to combat obesity. It’s an extension of MEND for fat children 7 to 13 years old.

For PE class, six grade students in a Chicago school were informed of their “ideal” weight and percentage of body fat and instructed to count their daily calories: The father of a 12-year old girl wrote an outraged letter to the Vice Principal, noting that his daughter and her friends “now discuss each other's weight, body fat, and how many calories they ingested the night before.”

Five centers for weight maintenance for nursery-aged infants: Also now offered is Headstart Early Learning for weight maintenance and exercise, with bikes, cycle tracks, beams, climbing frames and obstacle courses.

Food Tsars introduced in UK schools monitor packed lunches from home and eaten in the canteen: The food tsars persuade pupils to ditch bad foods and dish up advice on healthy food choices.

Eating at Grandma’s or friends’ homes is said to lead to obesity among Latino children: Obesity among Hispanic children in Southern California has been blamed on eating meals at the homes of relatives or friends once a week. Latino children were said to be at special risk because their culture is more family-oriented, and this was a bad thing. “Latinos appear to rely on friends and family for support and childcare more than other cultures do,” said the lead author of a study in the current issue of Obesity

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: No wonder kids are screwed up
May 13, 2008
I just had a conversation with the husband about this- kids don't use their imaginations anymore, go out to play, ride bikes- they have all these planned activities and then sit in front of nintendo. My mom threw us out the door until lunch and then again until dinner.

For fuck's sake if I wanted to be a chauffeur i'd be one. "Mommmmm- I'm gonna be late to soccer..."

Keep running, fat little turd.
May 13, 2008
Seriously. Kids today are so unimaginative. We were out from morning to dusk as kids. We'd be at the pool all day or ride our bikes all over the place. "Daytrips" as we'd call them. We all had baskets on our 10 speeds where we'd put all our "shit" and take off for the day. It was great.

Kids today can't do that, they're either too lazy or the parents are ultra-paranoid about them being abducted and don't let them out of their site.
May 13, 2008
Snotleigh!!! Don't forget your HELMET!!!!!!!!!!!
May 14, 2008
Oh gads...this past weekend my childed friends (with the stay at home dad) had a party for a mutual friend. Anyway, I used to be proud of this couple because they seemed to care about having a life away from their kid, and they really go out of their way to eat healthy and try to reduce the amount of waste they create. They don't buy their kid every toy in the world, and seemed to do a good job of raising him. Boy, was I wrong. When we arrived the kid was up and playing a video game, which wouldn't be that big of a deal except the kid's a 3 year old. 3 fucking years old, and he's slouched on the couch, mouth breathing, playing Mario Cart and EVERYONE there had to comment on "how amazing it is he can play video games at his age". I was talking about it with DH on the way home, and he thought it was equally amazing, though he figured it's going to be really hard to teach the kid to do boring stuff like, you know, read books, and the fact that they don't actually read to him much. I told him that I thought it was pretty disgusting that they care so much about what they put in their bodies, but seem to have no concern for what goes into their kids MIND.

Now I know my friends, who I thought were decent parents, are just the same as all the other stupid shallow assholes, making more stupid shallow assholes. I don't think I want to hang out with these folks all that much any more.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
CF Uter
May 14, 2008
It is funny about the flip flops...once I was thinking the same thing when I see young kids in flip flops (not at the pool) and young to preteen girls in Crocs and little ballet flats.

They obviously are being driven every where and not walking, running, playing or riding bikes all summer long as we were. I thought I seldom wore that stuff while young, not because of the style, but you couldn't play and do all those things, you had to wear gym shoes if you wanted to play and ride bikes. I know parunts would think I'm crazy but this is just another reason they are having an obesity epidemic.

I truly feel sorry for today's kyds. They are not just having a different childhood because "times change" but they will not have any memories like we did of playing the summer away, and basically adult supervision was only at dinner time. Still, we may have "made trouble" but tried to not do anything too bad as to not get caught, therefore, not get "in trouble" for really big things like you sometimes see in the news. I really don't get it. I almost feel like today there is more paruntal supervision, but the kyds are more fucked.
str8six
May 14, 2008
..."slouched on the couch, mouth breathing.."....LMFAO!!! bouncing and laughing..grinning smiley

So, what is it exactly that is so aMAZing about a kid that age playing video games? Are you shitting me? The kid is also probably smoking dope from a bong by now - guess that's just as aMAZing too huh? Stupid, STUPID parents Mr. T: I pitty tha fools
May 14, 2008
the.. cynic in me.. yes he is back.. says more and more computer stuff including computer learning, is being sold you young children. as "educational", all it really does is make them brainwashed.

same with TV shows, its got to be educational,, for baby einstein, and oppenheimer. (i have become death destroyer of worlds). I love computers, i am a tech head, i love my games, my consoles.. BUT i know there is a life outside.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
May 14, 2008
I'm teaching my neighbor's kid (12) badminton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login