Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the recession to come, making people dump pets?

Posted by mercurior 
the recession to come, making people dump pets?
May 19, 2008
Now cash-strapped families abandon their pets - because they can't afford to care for them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=567154&in_page_id=1770

Home-owners are abandoning their pets as they struggle to cope with the rising cost of living.

Animal rescue centres have found themselves inundated with dogs, cats and rabbits from those who can no longer afford to care for them.

The RSPCA's largest rescue centre, the Stubbington Ark in Fareham, Hampshire, is nearing capacity at 570 animals.

Pets are being abandoned as homeowners struggle with the cost of living

Vanessa Eden, a worker at the centre, said: "We have had people bringing in their pets because they can no longer afford to pay their energy bills, let alone vet bills or pet food."

Older animals and those with long-term medical problems are the most likely to be dumped because they need expensive treatments.

Freshfields Animal Rescue in Liverpool has seen a steady rise in dumped pets in the past six months.

Trustee Marge Albert said: "There has been an increase in the number of people handing in their pets because they can no longer afford them.

"When times get hard people look at their finances to see where they can make cutbacks and the family pet is often an easy target.

"The problem is likely to get worse over the summer as people jet off on holiday and realise it is going to cost them a couple of hundred pounds to put their pets in kennels

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: the recession to come, making people dump pets?
May 19, 2008
Kennels are expensive. I had to go out of town last October for 8 days. The cost was over $400 for the dog and cat to be in the kennel. We did not get the 'extras' such as 'cuddle time', dips in the pool, and so forth. That would have really got the tab going.
May 19, 2008
My in laws dumped their cats after 2 years because they were "inconvenient."I thought that was a completely vile and cruel thing to do and yet is seems so easy for people....

I had a cat with a heart condition- can't even estimate what I laid out to keep him with me a year with a decent quality of life. When the end came my heart was broken but I would do it again.

Children cost how much per year....?
May 19, 2008
And families will be abandoning their own children next.

What is happening to our economy? I hope it doesn't get THAT serious.doh face
I think people could afford to pay their energy bills, if they didn't insist on living in McMansions that are ten times the size of what they actually need. I have a friend who bought one of those mega-houses for her 3-person family, and she complains that her energy bill is $800 a month. She literally hasn't figured out that it costs more to live in a larger home. And she would never consider living in anything less than a 6-bedroom, 4 1/2 bath home, because it would just be beneath her to do that. Oh, and she also got rid of her pet dog, not because of the costs, but because she had a baby.
May 19, 2008
"The problem is likely to get worse over the summer as people jet off on holiday and realise it is going to cost them a couple of hundred pounds to put their pets in kennels"

My question is, why would you go on a vacation you can't afford? Certainly everyone knows the costs of vacation extend well beyond the money it takes to get to the location, and stay there. If you can't afford care for your animal while you are on vacation, then you don't fucking get to go, simple as that.

There was a time when most people didn't get vacations, where most people worked 7 days a week for well over 10 hours a day...and yet, magically humanity has "progressed" to the point where people feel entitled to a long distance, extended vacation that they have no means to pay for. Fuck. That. Shit.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
I have a suggestion for all those communities dealing with such ridiculous and inhumane 'humans': Hit 'em in the wallet! I would charge them for the salaries of those who had to confiscate the animals, any and all paperwork, postal charges, applicable veterinary fees, boarding costs, then seal the deal with a charge of cruelty to animals and abandonment. Gee, sounds like I've done this stuff before! wink
May 19, 2008
str8six Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a suggestion for all those communities
> dealing with such ridiculous and inhumane
> 'humans': Hit 'em in the wallet! I would charge
> them for the salaries of those who had to
> confiscate the animals, any and all paperwork,
> postal charges, applicable veterinary fees,
> boarding costs, then seal the deal with a charge
> of cruelty to animals and abandonment. Gee,
> sounds like I've done this stuff before! wink

Do you think that would work? What would keep people from just opening the back door, or, barring that, driving out to the country and dumping them there?
May 19, 2008
Rose Red Wrote:
> str8six Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a suggestion for all those communities
> > dealing with such ridiculous and inhumane
> > 'humans': Hit 'em in the wallet! I would
> charge
> > them for the salaries of those who had to
> > confiscate the animals, any and all paperwork,
> > postal charges, applicable veterinary fees,
> > boarding costs, then seal the deal with a
> charge
> > of cruelty to animals and abandonment. Gee,
> > sounds like I've done this stuff before! wink
>
> Do you think that would work? What would keep
> people from just opening the back door, or,
> barring that, driving out to the country and
> dumping them there?

It would not work. Breeders would dump their pets in the country, or probably just kill them or just let them starve to death.
Seriously, these are the same people who have willfully spent themselves into a hole they can't possibly ever dig out of. These are the people who bought homes they couldn't afford, took out a loan so they can buy a new car and cover the loan on their old car, drive that brand new car to an x-mas charity because they can't afford toys for their children, and then use the money they saved by not spending it on x-mas to buy teeshirts while on their credit card financed vacation.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
You are never going to stop all animal abandonment of course, no matter what you do. People always have and always will dump animals off in some obscure location, or kill them. But if you have someone who owns or rents a home, and an animal is found abandoned there after they've moved, they are EASILY tracked down.

Don't have the money for your fine? No problem! We'll just put you on probation until you pay your fine off. Don't pay? No problem, we'll issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Making their lives as miserable and as impossible as I can, while simultaneously getting money to the people doing the rescuing is the main goal.
May 19, 2008
when I rescued my youngest cat (in a bad part of town), my husband asked "What if they are looking for him?" My response was that a 4 month old kitten eating trash in the street deserved better than the trash who put him out there.
I think that is what they do with their children now, anyone can be troubled by them so long as it is not the parent. They don't take responsibility for anything except for their own wellbeing.

Why they ever bothered beggers belief, except of course for the extra money they get at the expense of responsible people.

If you are unemployed or on certain benefits, there are places that will treat animals for free or a very small fee.

Saying all that, the RSPCA are never open during the weekends or after work etc., in order for people to rescue these abandoned pets.

They are only open 10 till 2 pm.during the weekdays. and then complain not enough people adopting these dogs, cats and rabbits etc.,

they are exacerbating the problems.
Now is the time to give give give to all of the animal charities, as much as you can afford, because the breeders are doing this shit en masse as they lose their homes.

Most states have animal neglect and abuse laws and if the Rap music stars can go to jail for running dog fighting death and neglect kennels, I sure would like to know why these people aren't being prosecuted in their states for doing essentially the same thing.

I guess the jails would fill up pretty fast if we prosecuted all the breeders for their mistreatment of animals, rather than just the high profile music stars, hmm?
Where I live, the SPCA Is open on weekends.
May 19, 2008
giselle Wrote:

> If you are unemployed or on certain benefits,
> there are places that will treat animals for free
> or a very small fee.
>

In Jacksonville, FL, there is a traveling pet van where the animals can get vaccinated for a minimal fee -- like $10 for the mandated rabies shots. Locations are at places like Walgreen's or Pet Supermarket.
May 19, 2008
Feh Wrote:
> "The problem is likely to get worse over the
> summer as people jet off on holiday and realise it
> is going to cost them a couple of hundred pounds
> to put their pets in kennels"
>
> My question is, why would you go on a vacation you
> can't afford? Certainly everyone knows the costs
> of vacation extend well beyond the money it takes
> to get to the location, and stay there. If you
> can't afford care for your animal while you are on
> vacation, then you don't fucking get to go, simple
> as that.

Exactly! I stayed home at the end of April when my partner went to Alabama to meet the client who he would be working for as it was more economical than putting the dog and cat at the kennel. The dog was probably glad not to have to go there even though the place is very nice. Last time he was at the boarders, he rarely got off his bed from his sheet that documented behaviour. I felt sad for him. Cat was fine. As long as she is fed and her box is cleaned out, there are no complaints.

> There was a time when most people didn't get
> vacations, where most people worked 7 days a week
> for well over 10 hours a day...and yet, magically
> humanity has "progressed" to the point where
> people feel entitled to a long distance, extended
> vacation that they have no means to pay for.
> Fuck. That. Shit.

Tell me about it. Many companies still offer only a week after a year for vacation time. I worked for one guard company where there was NO vacation time until a person worked for two years. NOTHING for the first year! When I took PTO after I finally accrued some, a mini-vacation was staying home and relaxing. I could drive the hour it took to go to the beach for the day and packed my own lunch. I do not have the means to be a jetsetter.
nowhiggers Wrote:
I sure
> would like to know why these people aren't being
> prosecuted in their states for doing essentially
> the same thing.
They are, but it is very difficult to get anything other then a slap on the hand if your Municipal/Magistrate Court Judge doesn't have a soft spot for animals. It is a very tedious and unappreciated job. Animal Control Officers are the red-headed step children of a police/sheriff
division and often get the shaft on adequate numbers of employees and proper training/equipment to their jobs - don't even bother asking about the pay. Fortunately, judges are having an attitude turn around regarding animal abuse but it is primarily due the potential negative impact it would have on - of course - children. Doesn't make a shit really, so long as these bastards pay for their behavior.

> I guess the jails would fill up pretty fast if we
> prosecuted all the breeders for their mistreatment
> of animals, rather than just the high profile
> music stars, hmm?
I could be mistaken here, but I believe you are referring to more the dog fighters; that is an entirely different spectrum. The more common form of animal abuse, for example abandonment, no adequate shelter from inclement weather, no food/water etc. are not punishable by jail time. That would serve fruitless. They are remedied via fines, which are normally, believe it or not, quite high. However, a judge can decide how much he or she wants the defendant to pay, regardless of the county/city ordinance suggests. Most judges do stay very close to those requested fines. It's actually getting much better - yey for the animals!!! :-D
May 20, 2008
People would be able to better take care of their pets in rough financial times if they didn't have so many fucking kids, or any kids at all.
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> People would be able to better take care of their
> pets in rough financial times if they didn't have
> so many fucking kids, or any kids at all.

But but...their kids waaaaaaaant one, and mom and dad waaaaaaant them to learn, responibiiiiiiility. How many times have y'all heard grown ass adults say they bred their pet so their kids can experience birth?! Or, "if they don't learn to care for the pet, we'll get rid of it. You know, to teach them a lesson about responsibility." Poor poor animals, they're the ones who lose.
May 20, 2008
SO MANY "parents" teach their kids the wonderful life skill of "if an animal becomes inconvenient, you can just toss it aside. After all, it's ONLY an animal."

Christ, we've got a 16 year old senile dog in diapers, a diabetic cat and a hyperthyroid cat both of whom need meds twice a day PLUS another dog and 3 cats who have no issues. Can you imagine how quickly a breeder would have gotten rid of these guys?

Breeders who teach their kid to purge inconvenient living things from their lives are not doing themselves any favors. These are the same kids that the breeders expect to take care of them when they are old, now aren't they?

str8six Wrote:

>
> But but...their kids waaaaaaaant one, and mom and
> dad waaaaaaant them to learn, responibiiiiiiility.
> How many times have y'all heard grown ass adults
> say they bred their pet so their kids can
> experience birth?! Or, "if they don't learn to
> care for the pet, we'll get rid of it. You know,
> to teach them a lesson about responsibility."
> Poor poor animals, they're the ones who lose.
May 20, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> SO MANY "parents" teach their kids the wonderful
> life skill of "if an animal becomes inconvenient,
> you can just toss it aside. After all, it's ONLY
> an animal."
>
> Christ, we've got a 16 year old senile dog in
> diapers, a diabetic cat and a hyperthyroid cat
> both of whom need meds twice a day PLUS another
> dog and 3 cats who have no issues. Can you
> imagine how quickly a breeder would have gotten
> rid of these guys?
>
> Breeders who teach their kid to purge inconvenient
> living things from their lives are not doing
> themselves any favors. These are the same kids
> that the breeders expect to take care of them when
> they are old, now aren't they?
>
>
> str8six Wrote:
>
> >
> > But but...their kids waaaaaaaant one, and mom
> and
> > dad waaaaaaant them to learn,
> responibiiiiiiility.
> > How many times have y'all heard grown ass
> adults
> > say they bred their pet so their kids can
> > experience birth?! Or, "if they don't learn to
> > care for the pet, we'll get rid of it. You
> know,
> > to teach them a lesson about responsibility."
> > Poor poor animals, they're the ones who lose.

didn't you get the memo? Animal don't have souls.......
Rose Red Wrote:

>
> didn't you get the memo? Animal don't have
> souls.......

I got a memo that read a lot of breeders don't have souls~~~~~~
May 20, 2008
they spoot that out when the spawn..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Younger people have already learned the obvious lessons from disposing of animals. When I started taking care of my mother and (now deceased) stepfather full-time, my brother (then 36, several years younger than me) couldn't understand why I didn't just put Mom in a nursing home because she "talked funny" (after numerous ministrokes). That's the attitude among people about his age and younger.

He understands better now after I explained the realities of requiring constant skilled nursing care and financial factors to be eligible in the first place to go into a nursing home, let alone getting Medicaid to pay. As I told him, she was ruled as requiring assisted living only. He and I would be trying to find a way to pay $4K a month for that if I hadn't left work, since Medicaid doesn't pay for assisted living at all in most states.

Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer just a couple of months after my stepfather suddenly passed away in November. After she completes her chemo and radiation therapies, I will try to return to work part-time, but I am glad I had this time away from work with the two of them. Having no sprogs nor any of the rest of the "Life Script" (spouse, mortgage, etc.) that so many breeders seem compelled to follow made leaving work possible.

Many younger people think that it's all as simple as taking Mom, Grandma, et al., to the nearest nursing home, pushing her out the car door, and driving on. It's not. But much of the attitude seems to come from viewing pets as disposable—so why not people too? The older people who try to bingo us CF by asking who will take care of us when we get old haven't gotten a clue yet. Their kids have no intention of taking care of them, but will dump them instead, as soon as possible. Today a dog or a cat, tomorrow Mom and Dad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login