Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

some news from the UK

Posted by mercurior 
some news from the UK
May 21, 2008
just recently they have been discussing the abortion limit of 24 weeks, being reduced to 20 weeks,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020610/Abortion-fight-election-MPs-defy-public-opinion-24-week-limit.html

luckily it failed,

The most momentous Commons battle over abortion laws for almost 20 years ended with a call for a cut to 22 weeks being defeated by 304 votes to 233.

Cuts to 20, 16, and 12 weeks were also defeated, by wider margins.

Earlier in the evening MPs also voted to declare fathers an irrelevance by scrapping the obligation for IVF doctors to consider a child's need for a male role model.

of course its by the same anti abortion crowds.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
Re: some news from the UK
May 21, 2008
I have to confess,it is difficult for me to understand why one would wait so late (assuming there was no health issue) to abort.24 weeks is a LONG time to know what you want to do and wait.I am still pro-choice,hell it isn't MY body (if it was I wouldn't wait so long).But it is difficult for me to sit well with 24 weeks,I was born at 24 weeks,so I admit I take issue with waiting that late.If you don't know what you want to do shortly after the stick turns blue,then I suspect it is best you do abort.
str8six
May 21, 2008
I have to concur Redlocks, and 22 weeks is ridiculous too, so long as health isn't an issue to the woman of course. I mean c'mon, get the fucking abortion when you find out you're knocked up or have it and give it up.

I know I will get FLAMED for this, and that's OK but, I truly don't give a fuck about abortion. I managed to prevent pregnancy until I was 35 years old (when I got the ESSURE procedure), and I no longer have worries about it. Until then I used b/c pills AND a raincoat - can never have too much protection. A bit bitchy I know, sorry.
May 21, 2008
the problem is, i could see that 20, would be become 16, then 12, then 8.. then 4.. then banned altogether..

most of the people pushing for 20 weeks, are the anti abortion ones.. who want to see it gone for good.. thats the danger i see..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3971911.ece

However, the small number of abortions performed between 22 and 24 weeks were not the primary target of anti-abortion campaigners. Women who have these late abortions are often among the most unfortunate cases. Some are schoolgirls who deny that they are pregnant until they can fool themselves no longer.

Others, the largest group, do not realise that they are pregnant for up to three or four months and are then subjected to delays before they can have an abortion. Few primary care trusts perform abortions beyond 16 weeks, so they have to hunt around for slots at the small number of clinics which do.

There is little that the anti-abortion campaigners can do to cut the overall numbers, since 89 per cent take place before 12 weeks

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
May 21, 2008
I agree with you.It is a slippery slope but I just think people are capable of KNOWING if they want a child well before the second trimester is done.Earlier abortions are cheaper,less complicated,etc.I figure,why wait?
May 21, 2008
i edited that last post, with some more details from the times..

However, the small number of abortions performed between 22 and 24 weeks were not the primary target of anti-abortion campaigners. Women who have these late abortions are often among the most unfortunate cases. Some are schoolgirls who deny that they are pregnant until they can fool themselves no longer.

Others, the largest group, do not realise that they are pregnant for up to three or four months and are then subjected to delays before they can have an abortion. Few primary care trusts perform abortions beyond 16 weeks, so they have to hunt around for slots at the small number of clinics which do.

There is little that the anti-abortion campaigners can do to cut the overall numbers, since 89 per cent take place before 12 weeks.

May 21, 2008
If you are in control of your body and know what's going on, there is no reason you wouldn't know you are pregnant soon after a missed period. And even if your cycles are VERY irregular or you don't get periods but once every few months, by 5 weeks (35 days) most women would start having morning sickness.

If women are that stupid that it takes them until 20-24 weeks to realize they are pregnant or decide on abortion, let them have the abortion because they sure as hell aren't fit to be a parent.
May 21, 2008
2? 20? 24? 48?
What's the difference? Whenever a person wants an abortion, they should get one. So what if they get rid of a clump of cells, or a clump of cells that have begun to form a human shape? The end result is the same, right?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
May 21, 2008
The end result is the same to both groups -- the person getting the abortion wants to get rid of the baby, no matter what stage of pregnancy; and the people against abortion think fetuses are full-fledged living babies, no matter what stage of pregnancy.
str8six
May 21, 2008
Well, as a person with a conscious, I can't say I wouldn't have a problem with doctors aborting full-term babies. The only way to do it would be to cut it in pieces and pull it out of the cervix, or either deliver via c-section or induce and do the deed afterwards. And that's just barbaric . I'm not for cruelty to babies or children.

It doesn't affect me, because I have never been in such a situation, but I don't agree with aborting when the cluster of cells has been allowed to develop into a fully formed human being.

Anyone not bothered by a fully formed baby being cut up in little pieces and extracted needs a good Psychiatrist and a healthy dose of Lithium.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login