Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Childfree book circle

Posted by Rose Red 
Childfree book circle
July 03, 2008
Any of the books listed on Happily Childfree I'm going to get out of the library- those I can't find I'm going to buy cheap at Amazon. when I'm done with them does anybody want them? I'm starting with "I hate everybody's children".
Anonymous User
Re: Childfree book circle
July 03, 2008
I always like books.. maybe we could start shipping them around..
July 03, 2008
two cents ΒΆΒΆ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always like books.. maybe we could start
> shipping them around..

that's EXACTLY what I was thinking- we could "sign up" or write to whoever has the book they'd like to read next- that way we can skip the ones we've read and not buy all these books ourselves. A library of sorts! then we can re-amazon them or something.
July 03, 2008
wouldnt be easy for the UK, maybe its best if it was a US, book circle.. week to 11 days just to ship to UK..
July 03, 2008
mercurior Wrote:
> wouldnt be easy for the UK, maybe its best if it
> was a US, book circle.. week to 11 days just to
> ship to UK..

It's not as hard as it seems- I've been a seller on amazon for a while, we can find a way around it. I'm excited about being exposed to some well presented ideas on the subject! More ammo for us.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2008
Yeah, and a bit of money as well...
Although I have bought a couple of used books from the UK...
I imagine you could trade books around over there... and I'm sure someone here would and could ship you some books as well. (and vice versa)
I think the books I got over there------------->
was 'the strange ordeal of the s.s. normandie' and 'cyanide in my shoe' but the latter, I'm not sure.
July 03, 2008
I'd be happy to take care of overseas shipments.
July 07, 2008
Ok, here's an update: Went to the local library and NONE of the books on the happily childfree list were in their database, save 1, and it was a CD. So I'm going to buy them.

As I mentioned, the first one is II Hate other People's Kids". Who wnats it afetr I'm done? PM me if you want me to pass it on.
July 09, 2008
Just giving this a bump- i'll send the book the day I finish it to whoever wants it next.
July 09, 2008
I already have the ones I was interested in, and I didn't like them as much as I thought I would. They all seemed breeder-pleasey to some degree, except for "CF and Loving It", but that book pointed out things that I agree with but are already obvious to me. The worst one was "The CF Revolution", which gives lots of attention to women who want children but can't have them.

"Baby Not On Board" is OK because it's completely humorous and doesn't really attempt to engage the reader in rhetorical debate, it's just validating the CF, sort of like the purpose of this message board.

I thought that "I Hate OPK's" was one big BINGO (It's different when they're yours), but the picture on the cover is just SO FUNNY.

I'm keeping all of them so that I can refer to them when it comes up in conversation (here on Bratfree).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
July 10, 2008
thanks, Poof! I'll make notes on my master list. I'm going to try for all of them - I'm sorry I picked a bingo but her blurb fooled me. If anyone else has 2 cents about anything on the list please add it- anything I get that isn't desireable I'll amazon.
July 15, 2008
Here's a good book! grinning smiley

Nanny State: How Food Fascists, Teetotaling Do-Gooders, Priggish Moralists, and other Boneheaded Bureaucrats are Turning America into a Nation of Children (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767924320/jerrydoyle-20/ref=nosim

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
July 16, 2008
Ok, "I hate Other People's Kids" is going out today to Str8six. I am going to pick another one from Happily Childfree's list, probably "The Baby Boon" by Elinor Burkett The Baby Boon : How Family-Friendly America Cheats the Childless by Elinor Burkett- synopsis:

"Tax credits, childcare benefits, school vouchers, flextime for parents, parental leaves--all have spawned what journalist Elinor Burkett calls a "culture of parental privilege." The Baby Boon charts the backlash against this movement and asks for a reevaluation of social policy."

Does anyone have a prefererence/want to see something else? Also, let me know if you want the Burkett book when I am done.
July 16, 2008
"The Baby Boon" is ok. I only got bored with it (as opposed to irritated) and I have not read it all the way thru yet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
July 16, 2008
catmeow Wrote:
> Here's a good book! grinning smiley
>
> Nanny State: How Food Fascists, Teetotaling
> Do-Gooders, Priggish Moralists, and other
> Boneheaded Bureaucrats are Turning America into a
> Nation of Children (Hardcover)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767924320/
> jerrydoyle-20/ref=nosim

Sorry it took me so long to absorb this- i'm adding it to the queue. Thanks for the recommendation!
July 16, 2008
poofy_puff Wrote:
> "The Baby Boon" is ok. I only got bored with it
> (as opposed to irritated) and I have not read it
> all the way thru yet.

Ok- After "Boon" I'm doing "Childfree and Loving It" but I can queue up another one as you have already read that one-
Matush
July 16, 2008
The book from which Sex and the City is based on has some pretty interesting chapters on "Yuppie Parents" and also a chapter where they go to a baby shower of a former party girl friend of theirs, which apparently is a harrowing experience (the first season of SATC had an episode based on this).

Now, as my good deed for the day, here are two books to AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Friday Night Knitting Club and Where the Heart Is. Both books portray single moos who manage to succeed despite the odds. But in reality, the leading characters merely luck out. In the former, the moo has a rich old widow willing to lend her money and shower affection on her daughter, a former best-friend who is willing to pay a shit ton of money for a knitted dress, and as luck would have it, the building where her store is located happens to be owned by a friend of hers and he has kept the rent the same for the past 10 years (did I mention that this is in NYC)? And if that's not enough, the father of her child is rich himself and pays child support.

In Where The Heart Is, upon shitting out the loaf, the white trash moo is allowed to live rent free with a little old lady, is given a job at Wal Mart, and there is a whole community of people just dying to watch over the loaf FOR FREE. When a tornado wrecks the little old lady's house (and kills the little old lady), the white trash moo finds out she was the beneficiary to the old lady's estate and the whole town helps her build her house.

No wonder single moos are all so entitled. We have books like these that make them think that everyone will just fawn over their sprog and give them what they want just cause they shat out something the size of a watermelon.
July 21, 2008
Matush Wrote:
>
> Now, as my good deed for the day, here are two
> books to AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
>
> Friday Night Knitting Club and Where the Heart Is.
> Both books portray single moos who manage to
> succeed despite the odds. But in reality, the
> leading characters merely luck out. In the
> former, the moo has a rich old widow willing to
> lend her money and shower affection on her
> daughter, a former best-friend who is willing to
> pay a shit ton of money for a knitted dress, and
> as luck would have it, the building where her
> store is located happens to be owned by a friend
> of hers and he has kept the rent the same for the
> past 10 years (did I mention that this is in NYC)?
> And if that's not enough, the father of her child
> is rich himself and pays child support.
>
> In Where The Heart Is, upon shitting out the loaf,
> the white trash moo is allowed to live rent free
> with a little old lady, is given a job at Wal
> Mart, and there is a whole community of people
> just dying to watch over the loaf FOR FREE. When
> a tornado wrecks the little old lady's house (and
> kills the little old lady), the white trash moo
> finds out she was the beneficiary to the old
> lady's estate and the whole town helps her build
> her house.
>
Thanks- I'll put that in the log.
Anonymous User
July 21, 2008
I'm almost done with the book Rose Red sent me, who's next in line?
July 21, 2008
str8six Wrote:
> I'm almost done with the book Rose Red sent me,
> who's next in line?

That would be "I Hate Other People's Kids"- Let me know if you want it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login