Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seeking Vasectomy Info

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Seeking Vasectomy Info
July 10, 2008
Hello all:

Newbie on the BF board, been lurking for awhile.

I'm 31, a 3rd-yr law student, prior USAF Officer. Pretty much knew that I was going to seek a CF life. Ended a 30-month relationship about a year ago because my ex wanted kids. I am content with cats. I like traveling, and that, along with having a real life, is what I seek, not kids.

I'd sooner visit 5 more continents (Who really wants to go to Antarctica?!?), keep skydiving and flying, and scuba all seven seas. smiling smiley

Looking to get the snip sometime soon. How much does it typically cost? I may have it done while in school (over break), or I might get it once I have insurance, once I get a job, post-bar exam.

Anyone have any stories about the procedure? I can take the bad stories w/the good, so let me hear 'em.
DrDanCorelli
Re: Seeking Vasectomy Info
July 10, 2008
Welcome, Marzipan.

A good vasectomy information site: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/vasectomy-14387

It is a very brief article, but gives you a good overview of the procedure.

If you carry health insurance, it normally will cover the cost of the procedure. Budget between $500 to $1,000 for a potential co-pay or just for expenses. It may sound on the high side for a student, but believe me it is the best investment you will ever make for a true childfree future.

As for post-procedure care, when your doctor tells you to stay down--STAY DOWN. Do not over-exert yourself and use the pain medications to your own pain tolerance. You will have to use ice on the area, but I recommend buying a bag of frozen peas or frozen vegetables and using them in place of ice. Never ice your 'nads directly, but instead put a towel between your scrotum and the ice source. Frozen veggies are recommended largely because they are cheap, effective and you can eat them cooked afterwards. Plan on at least a weekend for recovery and wear tighty-whiteys, a jock or close-supporting underwear for at least a few weeks afterward. Do not plan on strenuous exercise for about six weeks. You will have to give a sperm sample prior to the vasectomy, about 30 days, 60 days and 90 days post-vasectomy. At 90-120 days, you should be completely sperm free. The best part is working with your girlfriend to get through the 90 days! Before you sperm count goes to zero, you will continue to need reliable birth control. My procedure was done very quickly, and I recovered quickly with minimal pain. Every patient is different though.

Good luck.
Sara
July 10, 2008
I am (as I hope you can tell from my name) not a guy, but I have a friend who got a vasectomy about six months ago. He said it cost $500 (he's uninsured, so that was total cost), and while he didn't get too specific about the procedure he did say the worst part was that a hot nurse was looking at his equipment -- in other words, it wasn't very painful. He was very cautious for about a week afterward (with regard to moving around and whatnot), but he also said he was in surprisingly little pain. Essentially, what he said about the process boiled down to, "It hurt a little, and it cost me some money, but neither of these things was as bad as I expected -- and they're both way better than the alternative." As a final bit of information, he got the procedure done in Roswell, NM; mileage in other places may vary.

I hope this helped! And good luck.
bratBgone
July 11, 2008
My husband had a vasectomy done before we were married. It was covered by his insurance, and he doesn't remember the cost (it's been 12 years ago). He is a person very sensitive to pain, and kind of a baby whenever he is sick, but he recovered pretty quickly. Dr. Corelli's advice is very good for recovery. Our lack of children is wonderful proof that the procedure was a success! Your partner will so appreciate not having to worry about surgery herself, or worry about the pill! The little bit of pain is worth it!
July 13, 2008
Marzipan, I am glad that you have chosen your way way of life and that you did not fall for the pressures of your ex. Some guys have done the opposite and now only wish that could have another chance. Those who fell for the pressure do "do the right thing" have not understood that the right thing is what you feel on the inside. Not all of us were destined to be parents and that's OK. There are enough people on this planet. Anyways, welcome to this chat. I am glad to have you here.

Here is a good site:

http://www.vasectomy-information.com/

Also, there is another one, it is from a specific area, but information applies anywhere:

http://www.azurology.com/vasectomies.htm

http://www.noneedlevasectomy.com/

Many places do ask too many questions and will require initial consultation where doctor will perform an exam and inform you of what takes place, later an appointment is set and procedure is performed.

One of my friends had a snip a little while back, he said it is not too bad. He describes the pain level about 1/10 of that experienced during tooth extraction. They do not actually touch the actual testicles (that would hurt!), the tissue that is cut is the scrotum skin which is a form of a muscle. Actual vas deferens do not have very many nerves in them, so pain is minimal. The swelling and bluing that may take place is the scrotum skin healing. According to my friend he felt no pain of any kind from the inside - just from the actual bag material is where the swelling was. My friend had the No-scalpel procedure, he says it's the way to go if you can find a doc who does them.

I read on this site and some other places, that women have trouble getting sterilized, but I cannot say that I have found it to be the case for men. Generally, no one will question. Some docs will just remind you an extra time that procedure is not reversible (is that supposed to be a problem?).

Good luck and enjoy! Just remember rubber will still have to be your best friend - snip offers no protection against any STD's. Marzipan, if you have any other questions, PM to me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login