Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What the rest of the web is like: "I'm glad I'm childfree" and it all goes downhill from there

Posted by bell_flower 
awesominatrix
blackpearl
selidororous
I used to have a Swedish penpal - a single mother, unmarried - could not grasp the fact I was childfree and she thought it weird. Yeah from someone who supposedly lives in a "progressive" nation.

They are progressive when it comes to living standards and other life choices such as single parenthood, gay marriage etc. but CF lifestyle is still the ultimate taboo. And besides Nordic countries are extremely child-friendly.

While this is very true, I'm yet to be bingoed by a Swede, and I've been living here for over three years while being openly CF. Who knows, I might have just been lucky. shrug

I tried reading through this, popcorn ready and all, but then it just turned into a bunch of "mooier than thou" drivel.

My aunt has lived in Sweden for almost 4 years. She says that while they're very respectful of life (human or not), they are very reserved. They come off as cold.
She said I'd fit in perfectly since I also keep it to myself.
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with minding my own business if others' businesses have not impact on my life.
Want to have 10 kids? Sure, go ahead. If you dare for a second to question my choice, I'll also question yours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
milenascarlet
yummynotmummy
If the breeders were really so happy in their lives with their brats, being SHAMoo or big man provider Duh, why would they feel the need to be so defensive just because someone feels happy with their choice not to have kids?

They are not happy about it. If they were they wouldn't need to sell the lifestyle.

It's pretty sad they have to wait for a child to experience real love. Like they didn't have that parent-child love with their own parents... Well, breeders.

Would that 'real love' be before or after the kid says to its parents :

"I hate you Mom/Dad!"

LOL
blackpearl
awesominatrix
While this is very true, I'm yet to be bingoed by a Swede, and I've been living here for over three years while being openly CF. Who knows, I might have just been lucky. shrug.

I've been living in Finland for five years now and i've been heavily bingoed to the point of extreme rudeness. One of the reasons i went back into the closet so to say. The main bingoers are women over 40 and young guys under 30. Maybe it is related to the fact that i live in a more religious part where usually a woman's life revolves around family and kids.

That could be it, although I don't really know how conservative Finnish mentality is. I probably should know, though, since there are loads of Finnish immigrants where I currently live. tongue sticking out smiley
That's not to say that Sweden doesn't have its nutjobs, oh no. I recall stumbling across an article a few months ago where a working mother responded to another Moo that called her out for having a career while having kids, and thus "being an irresponsible mother". She pointed out that "her kids spend their time with another important person in their lives - their dad". While this isn't helping the fact that people tend to vilify daycare (ridiculous, but that's a whole different story), I'm glad someone at least pointed out that a father also has a role in something he helped create.

milenascarlet - That's somewhat true. They seem to be very respectful of other people's personal lives and space, as well as their own, but they turned out to be more chatty and social than I thought (and, unfortunately for me, quite fond of smalltalk).

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login