Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work charities - a first for me openmouthed shock

Posted by Dorisan 
Work charities - a first for me openmouthed shock
September 30, 2014
All the years I worked, my employers had the yearly shill for charity - which was ALWAYS people-related. United Way mostly, but there were years that I was asked to give to - again - strictly people-related charities organized by that particular employer.

Pissed me off; put a chip on my shoulder; I loudly squawked that I didn't give a good gawdamn if I ruined the "100% Participation Rate" for my department, I didn't like the total insularity of choice that sent money to people who probably wouldn't be in their particular fix if they were more careful about their damned breeding. Got taken to task one year by a manager for speaking so "cruelly," but I didn't care.

This year, my employer of two years did something totally cool: presented a diverse list of charities. Among them are three animal-related charities. Guess who gets all of my donation? Hah. A monthly sum will go to an organization that specializes in taking dogs off death row.

For the first time, in over 30 years of employment, I don't have a sense of resentment when the annual charity drive kicks in thumbs upwink
Re: Work charities - a first for me openmouthed shock
September 30, 2014
If I was an elected official I'd introduce a bill that would ban collecting for charities inside of a workplace. I'd also ban all collections for baby showers, wedding showers, birthday parties, etc. etc. etc.

All of this stuff falls under workplace harassment and bullying. Doing this stuff outside the workplace, of course, is fine. But people go to work primarily to earn money, not to spend money. And those that do stand up and say, "Hey I don't really want to donate to this charity..." or "....I understand that Janie is having a baby, but I'm childfree and don't wish to contribute..." are ultimately ostracized and it can impact their employment reviews negatively, however unofficial.

Collect for charity, sell your Girl Scout cookies, and have a baby shower for the umpteenth time on your own time. Not company time. I've got work to do, so please leave me alone.
September 30, 2014
Tell them you donated to The Human Fund - Money For People.
September 30, 2014
From what I've heard from a United Way rep's mouth (the local UW at least), supposedly there's a phone number you can call and get any money back that you donated if you felt pressured or bullied into donating.

And according to said "mouth", the number has never been utilized (read: noone's ever felt harassed enough to call).

I call bullshit on that. Bullshit.
September 30, 2014
the noodler
From what I've heard from a United Way rep's mouth (the local UW at least), supposedly there's a phone number you can call and get any money back that you donated if you felt pressured or bullied into donating.

And according to said "mouth", the number has never been utilized (read: noone's ever felt harassed enough to call).

Tempting.

Back in my early days of employment, when I was lucky to not number among the nearly 10% of the population who were unemployed - and wanted to stay that way - I was cowed into contributing.

Boss said "it won't hurt to at least give $1 a week. That won't kill you."

Really? I was making $5.25/hour, after graduating with a degree in Computer Science. I had a car loan whose rate was 17%, 2/3 of my GROSS salary went to pay rent (gladly paid to attain freedom from bullying family), there were weeks when I waited to get paid so I could EAT. But it was more important that our department would be awarded a plaque for 100% Participation.

I understand the commitment that workplaces want to demonstrate to the community, but - damn - some of the bullying that went on to show that commitment was horrible.

As I gained years of experience and a value to the company that made them reluctant to give me the boot (management loves their responsible employees. it gives them the freedom to skip out of work), I gained confidence to squawk about having my pocket picked. It wasn't a resentment toward contributing, but the fact that there was little choice in espousing causes that were important to me, only those that made the company look good.
September 30, 2014
the noodler

The "mouth" might be correct. But people might not be calling not because of their true feelings, but because they are in fact, intimidated by the prospect that their boss may still find out. He could contact the rep, or he could simply call the payroll department and easily find out that the $1 per pay period is not being deducted.

I'm big on privately donating to charity, not on being pressured into doing so in the workplace. And notice that last word, workplace. Ahhh.... a place for work. Notice how it's not called a charityplace, panhandlingplace, or babyshowerplace.
September 30, 2014
One place I worked had 'gate collections' periodically for various breeder causes. Usually they were advertised several weeks in advance in hopes of increasing participation. People would stand outside the gate at shift change collecting money for the cause du jour. I would make a plan of coming in early and pulling a 12 that day to avoid the shift change beggars. You know, if they had just left collection cans in the lunch room I may have considered slipping some green towards a cause or two. But harass me when I am trying to get to work or get home, nope, fuck you...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login