Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"No thanks" to cookies from daycare bake sale

Posted by CheeseLouise 
CheeseLouise
"No thanks" to cookies from daycare bake sale
August 22, 2008
One of my coworkers proudly announced today that he brought in some cookies from a bake sale at his kid's day care. I immediately thought of all the horror stories kidlesskim has posted from moo boards, mainly the ones about kids who shit all over the house. I'm not eating ANYTHING that I know was made by a breeder. How do I know they washed their hands after changing Dysentereigh's diaper or sopping up Snotley's puke? We all know that breeders and their vermin can have some pretty fucking DISGUSTING "hygiene" habits. NO THANKS!! two faces puking
Very wise decision Cheese. I'd eat worms and roaches before I'd eat anything that came from a home with kids. Eww yuck - we all KNOW what REALLY goes on in these homes from reading all those confessional sites.

Steer clear Cheese, and BE CAREFUL out there.
Re: "No thanks" to cookies from daycare bake sale
August 22, 2008
"Dysentereigh": LOL! bouncing and laughing

I agree.

At cookie-making house: "Now Snotley, stop touching the cookies, those are for the bake sale...now Snotley, we don't touch ourselves there in public...no, don't pick your nose...honey, please stop picking your nose...now Snotley, I already said don't keep touching the cookies..."

At daycare bake sale: "Zuma, don't touch please, Zuma, don't touch those please, let's go over here...Zuma, I told you please don't keep touching those."

Or even worse, the kid "helped" make them and infused each one with whatever virus he has at the moment.

blergh!!
we need a biohazard smiley.
August 23, 2008
I would seriously be leery of any home made items, all jokes aside. Many people do not uphold sanitary cooking, food preparation or food handling methods to suit my standards, therefore I generally don't eat anything made by people I don't know well or that isn't regulated by a health department. There is no telling how many "fluke" community illneses with a viral or bacterial illness, where the point of origin of contamination was from these seemingly innocuous "bake sales". Church or kiddie, NO THANKS. Although I probably would have given them a couple of bucks for effort as I feel sorry for kids who are forced to become top salesmen before they reach puberty.
August 23, 2008
I'd sure steer clear of homemade stuff. I made the mistake a few times when younger of attending picnics that were potluck. No thanks--espcially not with the walking biohazards around when Moo is baking.
August 23, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Whenever my nieces made anything edible for me, even if they just placed a few tiny chocolate eggs into a construction-paper 'nest' they'd made in school, I always quietly deposited the food into the garbage.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
After reading all of Kim's posts about breastfeeding, I picture this scenerio:

Moo: Bratley come help momma make cookies for the bake sale. Get the milk from the fridge for me.

Bratley: Ok, Mom. Hey we're out of milk!

Moo: Oh, that's no problem, Mommy's got plent right here (whips out a tit a starts milking it into a measuring cup.)

Bratley: These are going to be the best cookies ever with your magic breast milk in them! Hey, mom, save some for me. (Mom smiles contently as 7 year old bratley latches on)
August 24, 2008
Idea for a documentary:

Go along to a ratty-looking bake sale and buy a sample of pretty much everything on offer. Send sample to lab for analysis. Results will invariably come back with readings of bacteria, organism parts and 'fecal matter' off the scale.

Wheel on a few experts in food hygiene to look shocked at the findings and talk about how this stuff should never be served to the public. I think Gordon Ramsey, a Director from the Department of Health, a Director of Food Science at University of Cambridge, and Jamie Oliver would do. Once they've said their bit and demanded this hazard to human health be shut down, THEN tell them the items came from St.Dunstan's Primary School Bake Sale (Open to the Public). See how they react. Collect Emmy for Best Documentary 10 months later.

- - - - - - - -
- Cyril Connolly
Good one, Amethyst. This is precisely why many schools have banned goodies made at home. HOWEVER, I am so evil that I find the idea of the breeders infecting each other and their brats to be pretty damn funny.

When we have potlucks at work, I'm always careful to find out who made what. There are the trustworthy people. Then there are the ones with questionable home hygiene habits. Then there are the BREEDERS. Nuff said.

A biohazard smiley would be HILARIOUS, but for now this will have to do:

two faces puking
August 24, 2008
Potlucks, haha! Sorry I find the idea of these funny. We don't have these in the UK, and I've never had the honour of being invited to one in the States. They just sound so unenticing: pot-luck. Pot as in toilet and luck as in you'll be lucky if you don't spend the following three days on one. Seems I'm missing out on entire strains of intestinal bacteria and discomfort.

- - - - - - - -
- Cyril Connolly
Amethyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pot as in toilet and luck as in you'll
> be lucky if you don't spend the following three
> days on one. Seems I'm missing out on entire
> strains of intestinal bacteria and discomfort.

I got extremely ill once after a large potluck Thanksgiving dinner where I worked. I avoid them now at all costs. You have no way of knowing who cooked what, whether they washed their hands first, whether they used fresh ingredients. I know people who will keep leftovers in their fridge for weeks at a time, then re-heat them and eat them. That is disgusting. Other people's health habits are not so great and they may think its okay to serve up moldy food in a dish at a potluck.
Unbelievable. Disgusting. Grotesque. I bring my OWN fucking food to work. I don't ever eat anything a co-worker has brought. My husband, who is an avid meat-smoker, cooks meat on the smoker all weekend, I PROPERLY package it for our lunches, and that's what we eat all week until the next weekend. Properly cooked food can be refrigerated for up to 7 days, we throw out anything left after FIVE days. Now that we've got it to a science, we very very rarely throw out any food. I also have a garden where I grow my own vegetables - Heaven!

Never, EVER eat anything co-workers bring to work unless you know them WEEEEELL, and of course, they don't have any ankle-biters who may have stuck their nasty little hands into the preparation. Eww, sorry..kids are just gross.
After thinking about it for a moment longer Cassey, and being a medic and EXTREMELY careful about hygiene, I feel compelled to add that the PARENTS are the ones changing diapers! They are as much to blame as their icky kids...just a thought, and a yucky one at that!

YICK!!!!! two faces puking
August 24, 2008
Even grown-ups without kyds can be gross. My Mom and I had to keep reminding my Grandma to wash her frakking hands after going to the bathroom. She thought it was funny, but we were NOT amused, especially at family dinner time. We wouldn't touch anything she had touched, like the bread.

(And no, she wasn't senile or anything - she just didn't see a problem. Urgh.)
August 24, 2008
I like Amethyst's idea for a documentary a lot. I was also surprised to find out that potlucking, the staple form of get-togethers here in the Midwest, is unknown in England. I abhor potlucks (cheap-@ss way of entertaining: make a simple dinner for your guests, already!) and I will not eat anything from a breeder's house aside from my sis, who cooks too well for me to care. smiling smiley
August 25, 2008
CheeseLouise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> When we have potlucks at work, I'm always careful
> to find out who made what.

Oh, god, I do this.
One thing I learned from my mom (since deceased) about cooking is that you always take great care in the food prep area to keep it clean, the utensils clean, and your hands clean. Even if you live your life a little sloppy elsewhere (i.e. paper clutter and clothes thrown about sometimes), you DON'T MESS with the food preparation. As this thread has shown, not everyone is raised that way or practices this degree of cleanliness in the food prep area.
"My Mom and I had to keep reminding my Grandma to wash her frakking hands after going to the bathroom"

...really gross and you do have a point. Which is why I mentioned the adults...they are the ones always wiping, changing and cleaning up (allegedly) after their kids; who knows if they just rinse their hands under water, or actually use soap, warm water, lather up GOOD, rinse properly and dry with a CLEAN towel/paper towel after EVERY SINGLE change? I doubt it, and it gives me the hee-bee-gee-bee's..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login