Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meth-manufacturering moo gets extra jail time: what about the chyyyldren?

Posted by yurble 
Meth-manufacturering moo gets extra jail time: what about the chyyyldren?
October 17, 2014
A woman in Tennesse was sentenced to six extra years in prison because she was pregnant (warning: story is illustrated with a photo of a naked preggo belly). I can see the argument against this; people should be treated equally before the law, and holding a pregnant woman accountable for what happens to her fetus opens the doors to forced-birthers criminalizing miscarriage and abortion. (At the same time, I do think people should be held accountable for the problems they inflict on their babies from their deliberately poor choices they make after deciding to remain pregnant, once we make abortion readily available and affordable.)

But that's a side issue where this article is concerned. The woman was convicted of manufacturing meth and the baby tested positive for opioids and methamphetamine when it was born. These facts are undisputed. Yet the author of the article argues that the extra jail time is unwarranted, stating (of the moo's supposed remorse):

Whether we believe her or not is not really the issue. It's hard to imagine that anyone who actually cares about this child's well-being thinks it's a good idea to break up his family and separate him from his mother for an extra six years of his childhood.

An extra six years? How about we separate them for his entire life? I can't believe anyone who actually cares about the child's well-being thinks it is a good idea for this woman to retain custody of him!
I think women who give birth to drug addicted babies or ones with FAS need to be sterilized and it should be required the poor loaves are placed for adoption. Living in foster care is not ideal, but it's a step up from being raised by a drug addict/drunk/prostitute, etc....

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
I think extra 6 years is too lean. Since breeders place themselves on a high pedestal, I think it is only fair to hold them to the higher standards.

Doing meth can damage her kid for life. Someone could be suffering for the rest of their life because of the choice that their moo has made.

I think anyone who is caught doing stuff that is damaging to the fetus should not have any rights to the kid as well as to the fetus. I am also in support of mandatory abortions for those who try to damage the loaf on purpose.

ETA: this moo did not care about the fetus anyways. Why not just abort it for her - she already wanted it dead/damaged if we look at her actions.
Re: Meth-manufacturering moo gets extra jail time: what about the chyyyldren?
October 17, 2014
The story fails to make clear that the woman accepted the sentence as part of a plea bargain. That changes the whole premise. She probably could have been charged and convicted of harming the child, but chose this deal instead.

It's hard to fathom the sheer number of commenters to the Slate article condemning the sentence and agreeing with the notion of it being mean to separate mother and infant. But many of them are. Some pointed out that medical workers said the baby after birth had one of the worst, drawn-out withdrawals from the drug exposure in utero that they had ever seen. The woman was manufacturing and smoking meth. Most meth makers use the stuff too, so this is no exception.
Do people not understand what a fucked-up start in life it is when somebody is born addicted to drugs? The first week of life consists of addiction, jonesing, and withdrawal. Like holy shit, what worse way could you possibly set somebody up for failure right out of the gate?

I'm not even bothering with the comments, but I'm sure a few of them involve the, "Maybe the baby will be her motivation to finally get clean and get on the right track!" bullshit. There are loads of women in prison and drug rehab with multiple kids that have been permanently removed from them that say this about the current unfortunate fetus they're cooking or have just shat out. If the first six kids didn't do it for you, this one won't, either. When the choice comes down to between drugs or the baby, the drugs will win every single time.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
What a bunch of drivel. Separating this child from its mother is probably the best thing that could happen to it.
yurble
But that's a side issue where this article is concerned. The woman was convicted of manufacturing meth and the baby tested positive for opioids and methamphetamine when it was born. These facts are undisputed. Yet the author of the article argues that the extra jail time is unwarranted, stating (of the moo's supposed remorse):

Whether we believe her or not is not really the issue. It's hard to imagine that anyone who actually cares about this child's well-being thinks it's a good idea to break up his family and separate him from his mother for an extra six years of his childhood.

An extra six years? How about we separate them for his entire life? I can't believe anyone who actually cares about the child's well-being thinks it is a good idea for this woman to retain custody of him!

People are numbnuts. Sure, leave the kid with its meth-addicted moo. In a few years, it will likely end up like this poor kid

The home of an 8-year-old Arizona girl who was abducted and killed apparently was a nest of drug abuse and sales, police said.

A monthlong narcotics investigation resulted in the arrest Wednesday of Isabella Grogan-Cannella's mother, stepfather and grandmother on felony drug charges. Police said Tania Grogan, 29, and Ralph Folster III, 28, were dealing methamphetamine and heroin in Bullhead City, and that Grogan supplied methamphetamine to a family friend charged in her daughter's death.
Funny, you weren't thinking about the chyyyldrun when you were cooking meth and taking opiates. I really hate this trend of people with kids bargaining for less prison time or getting special delayed sentences (*ahem* Teresa Guidice).

My cousin's baby was born addicted to OxyContin. Awful to see him screaming and writhing like that. But since she had a prescription it was perfectly legal. angrily flogging with a whip
While I absolutely don't agree with sentences being reduced or delayed because someone has a kid, the idea of criminalizing harm to a fetus is legal crack for forced birthers. Opens the door to punishing women for drinking coffee, eating shellfish, having a glass of wine.....and it may even happen to women who aren't even pregnant yet, if they are doing things that may be deemed fertility damaging.....

The stupid of the article though suggesting that the baybee would be better off with meth-head moo :crz
yummynotmummy
While I absolutely don't agree with sentences being reduced or delayed because someone has a kid, the idea of criminalizing harm to a fetus is legal crack for forced birthers. Opens the door to punishing women for drinking coffee, eating shellfish, having a glass of wine.....and it may even happen to women who aren't even pregnant yet, if they are doing things that may be deemed fertility damaging.....

The stupid of the article though suggesting that the baybee would be better off with meth-head moo :crz

Yeah, the old "slippery slope" argument, which I agree with but also have qualms about.

If you are going to do drugs or engage in criminal activity that has a nearly 100% chance of harm to the fetus, then don't freaking get pregnant. If you can figure out how to cook meth, you can figure out how to use birth control. Because the end result of a damaged fetus is almost always going to be the onus of outsiders. The medical system that has to spend oodles of resources to deal with it; social services, who will likely have to take the kid and put it in the foster system; TAXPAYERS LIKE MYSELF who will have to fund this bitch's recovery and the care of her damaged spawn .....

(not directed at anyone in particular rant)
Honestly, as long as the restrictions are kept to illegal activities that harm the fetus, then I don't give a good gawdamned what happens to that hapless c*

It is a concern that fundies and neocons would try to broaden the scope of control over the bodies of women, but that is a cause that can be righteously fought. This crap about breeders who feel they can be as irresponsible as they wish, specifically in participating in a criminal action that harms the fetus, has to stop.

LOL - CAPTCHA: FUKNO
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login