Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paying to play school sports

Posted by catmeow 
Paying to play school sports
August 24, 2008
Cash-strapped schools pass on rising costs: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/08/24/paying_to_play/

"Of the 32 public high schools in the area, 23 have sports user fees. Most are hefty, with some parents on the hook for more than $1,500 a year.

While most school districts have waivers in place for those unable to pay, some districts have no cap on the cost to families with multiple athletes. At Pentucket Regional in West Newbury, which also draws students from Groveland and Merrimac, it is estimated that it will cost $850 to play hockey this winter, with other sports ranging from $200 and $400. A family with two or more athletes - especially two hockey players - could be hit with a tab for thousands of dollars."

(Later in the article) "Under the guidelines set recently by the committee, the fees for most sports at Gloucester High - including baseball, basketball, football, golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, field hockey, softball, and tennis - would rise from $140 last year to $302 this year. Cross-country and track would go from $95 to $205, and ice hockey, last year the most expensive sport at $195 per season, would jump to $475."

Boo-hoo, breeders! The fees should be set this way, and not in the form of higher property taxes you want.

By the way, the Gloucester High mentioned is the same school that was in the news not too long ago with the teen moos. If they want to make bastard breeding a sport, they can pay the full cost of the spawn.

(Very close to the end) "Vincent Crossman, another member of Viking Pride, said he knows fees are already affecting participation. "Students don't want to pay big money to sit on the bench, he said. "And kids who are freshmen aren't going to spend the money to try something new if they're not sure they're going to like it.""

Make that BREEDERS don't want to pay the fees. If the student-athletes can perform community service work to help pay off athletic fees, that's fine as well.

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
deegee
Re: Paying to play school sports
August 24, 2008
This is one small step towards fairness for us CF people. Now if we CF folks could get a school tax credit for not sending any kyds to the public schools.......perhaps an alliance with the pro-voucher groups could get this done? This has been one my biggest bugaboos for many years. I have written my state legislators several times but they don't give a crap, of course. It's not like there is an AARP with clout for us younger CF folks. The elderly get their extra property tax rebates (because they are mostly CF npw and have big homes and low incomes) but not us non-elderly people who are in the same economic situation. Don't even get me started with the friggin' teachers unions here in New York State......
August 24, 2008
"It's not like there is an AARP with clout for us younger CF folks."

Hmm. Maybe we need an AACF, to create clout for us CF folks.

CF-ness has really come out of the closet in the last few years. I think for a long time, the CF were less than vocal, as a whole, because it was societal heresy to proclaim one's CF-ness, much less to say you don't like kids. That is different now, thanks in part to groups like this one which, speaking personally, show me it's not just me and that plenty of people are out there living the CF life. Perhaps it's time to organize.
August 25, 2008
You're right, it is time to organise. The help of an excellent PR guru would be critical -- someone who has all the connections and can advise on the best route for gaining membership without having the rug ripped from under the organisation by all the livid breeders who can see their happy deals being ripped in two.

I wonder if there's a good PR on the east coast who is CF him or herself, who'd take on the cause.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
August 25, 2008
And - on the other hand, widespread childhood obesity shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.=P
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
breeders pay for their own fuck trophys? HA, get real, if that was the case and breeders had to pay for their own mistakes, maybe, just maybe they wouldnt breed #3, #4 #5 babyeee
August 25, 2008
Amethyst said, "The help of an excellent PR guru would be critical [to forming the AACF]"

Absolutely. A savvy PR person would be vital to getting things off the ground and keeping them aloft. Also someone with super organizational skills and a LOT more diplomacy than I have at my disposal.

But it wouldn't take much. Start with a good website and start sending out a monthly desktop-published newsletter with reader-contributed stories and feature articles published for free. Get a modest membership charge going, like $10 per year for the newsletter. Advertise and solicit membership on other CF boards.

Give it a few years and we could have a real bloc going! Political power!
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
I'd buy the newsletter!

Let's not forget that group 'No Kidding!'. Do they have a circulation? I know they get together a lot and it's a fairly large group, but do they advocate for more CF basic rights regarding government program incentives?
CheeseLouise
August 25, 2008
I'd totally buy a CF newsletter. As for No Kidding, I've heard that some groups are breederific. One group in Texas, I think, actually had a BAYBEE SHOWER for a member who'd gotten knocked up!!!

W-T-F?!? hitting over the head with a hammer
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
Yeah, i also heard nokidding was breeder pleaser-ish, not hard core enough for me

mark me down for paying for a cf newsletter
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
CheeseLouise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd totally buy a CF newsletter. As for No
> Kidding, I've heard that some groups are
> breederific. One group in Texas, I think, actually
> had a BAYBEE SHOWER for a member who'd gotten
> knocked up!!!
>
> W-T-F?!? hitting over the head with a hammer

No shit? WTF is up with that? OK, I did some looking around and they seem to be more of a group who finds activities which don't revolve around children (except, of course baby-showers...geez), like cf cruises, book clubs, things of that sort. That's fine, whatever, but we need something geared more towards the governments' abuse of our tax dollars. Something more political.
August 25, 2008
What a novel idea--making people with kids pay their fair share!

I live in New York state and our school taxes are outrageous (so are county/town taxes, but that is for another thread.) I would love to see a credit for CF people or anyone else not sending kids to public schools, and would happily join AACF.
August 25, 2008
I don't see what the big deal is wtih making the students pay to play sports. I had to pay for things to participate in band, like the summer marching band uniform, black shoes, white gloves, my jazz band uniform, and of course, mouthpeices, a clarinet, reeds, repairs, etc. I also had to dry-clean the polyester dork uniform provided by the school. My band director had a box of donated black shoes to give to the poor kids in the group. The band boosters and our fund-raising money paid for out-of-state trips.

Why don't these teams create a boosters association and do some fund-raising to defray the costs of travel, uniforms, and equipment?

Music programs are typically underfunded, so I guess this is why we had to come up with creative ways to pay for things we needed.
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
"Why don't these teams create a boosters association and do some fund-raising to defray the costs of travel, uniforms, and equipment?"

Oh heeeeeeell no Lucy! That means putting up with even MORE pandering from moms at work to buy all that useless SHIT - flower seeds (probably no longer viable because they've been in improper storage since 1977), hard-ass caramel popcorn, four dollar candy bars, fucking DOUGHnuts!! Thank God I live so far out I don't even get trick-or-treaters. But putting up with this shit at work is already a royal pain in the ass.

For the life of me I can't figure out WHY they still pander their useless garbage to me - I NEVER buy any of it...I just want to swat at them with a fly swatter when I see 'em coming at me with a box of yet more garage-sale crap.
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
Im GA where i live, you cant leave the house without someone begging for something,

outside of Wal mart- dare program for druggie kids

every red light- little leauge football

at every stop sign in the major parking lots- churchs begging for money for their church missions

(me and my wife joke that we will stand at a red light with our home made signs begging for money to go to Vegas for the weekend.

if all thse assholes want money for those things, WORK for it, set up a car wash dont just ask for free money.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 25, 2008
Hahaha, I used to HATE trying to sell cheesy christmas knicknacks and overpriced wrapping paper for this one orchestra in which I participated. I'm glad I never had to sell caramel popcorn...ewwwww!!!

Our marching band actually had decent fundraisers though, like a hoagie sale (from a good locally owned place), and the annual turkey shoot. What this entailed was you could buy a few squares on a big sheet of paper for 25 cents each, then one of the band parents shot the sheet with loads of BB gun pellets. The person's name in the square with the most holes won a decently sized turkey for Thanksgiving. Each band member's sheet had a winner, so it was a cheap way for someone to get a chance at a turkey.

I admit that I have a weakness for Girl Scout cookies. mmmmmmmmmm
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
^^^ exACTly!!! Georgia is HORRIBLE for pandering idiots. Have you ever been down-town for anything nokyds? It's pathetic and so goddammed annoying, we don't go anymore. We used to love to go and taste all the different beers at Little 5 Points but it's pointless now. Oh well, we're just as happy to have a few brews at home! :beer
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
str8six YUP, its very bad now, i remember in 1999-2000 my sister lived in marietta and it was very nice, buckhead was very nice, under ground atlanta was a cool place to check out, ITS ALL DONE!! its been taken over and destroyed, its really a shame to see. We just try to stay otu of that area and stay home too.
August 25, 2008
catmeow Wrote:
>>
> Boo-hoo, breeders! The fees should be set this
> way, and not in the form of higher property taxes
> you want.
>
thisthisthisthisthis
August 25, 2008
@str8six: I've seen such fund-raisers and they're quite terrible. At least my marching band sold good things like hoagies (from a decent locally owned place) and did this sale called the "turkey shoot"every November. Each band kid who wanted to sell got a card with squares on it. A person could buy one or more squares for 25 cents each. One of the band parents then shot the card with a round of BB gun pellets. The person's name in the square with the most holes won a good-sized Thanksgiving turkey. It wasn't a bad deal for 25-75 cents or so.

Car washes and flea markets are also good ideas for an organization to raise money. Selling overpriced caramel popcorn (bleh), silly knicknacks, and expensive candy is just ridiculous.
August 25, 2008
Tiquer Wrote:
> What a novel idea--making people with kids pay
> their fair share!
>
> I live in New York state and our school taxes are
> outrageous (so are county/town taxes, but that is
> for another thread.) I would love to see a credit
> for CF people or anyone else not sending kids to
> public schools, and would happily join AACF.

Yes, add a credit for us because we did NOT shit out any resource drains!

I'm sick of hearing breeders who get excited every February school vacation because they're going to Disney World with their spawn and their big-ass tax refunds. We CF don't owe these morons paid winter vacations in Florida!

If I had my way, breeders would not only pay for their brats' school sports, they would pay all school costs.

We need someone high-profile to organize AACF to get the attention we deserve!

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
August 26, 2008
I went to one of the best regional public schools at a time when retards and idiots were not considered as "special needs". This was in the 80's where and when many public schools were still at par or better with private schools. We had bussing, so we obviously had a state championship football team and many of their "single moms", aka welfare whores in training, couldn't afford the costs that it took for a kid to play on a sports team. Being a member of a highschool sports team is VERY expensive as is participation in the band, choir, drill team or cheerleading. SO, the other parents with special interests in the sports program, either they played or had a bench warmer wannabee kid on the team, PAID OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS for the kids who had no baby daddy to pay their way. I don't see why it should be any different now.

I STRONGLY resent ANY tax for public anything to do with kids regardless if they MIGHT grow up to be public servants, etc........"MY kid COULD be your paramedic.......", eye rolling smiley whatever. I would be much more confident to see a paw paw type with some experience and knowledge in the ambulance than one of THEIR snot nosed pieces of shit fumbling around, while my life is hanging in the balance. I think if they breed then they should pay. They should NOT be asking disinterested persons to pay their tabs, but of course they do and they will continue to do so as they extort money from people who have NO interest in their kid OR their kid's sport.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login