Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"I know you can fake autism. I personally know of someone who has done it to two of her children."

Posted by clematis 
A comment from this web site. It's several comments down after the initial autism article. Read the one that follows, too, about a biblical counselor who knows the people he helps are faking mental illness to get social security monies.

The comment:

I know you can fake autism. I personally know of someone who has done it to two of her children. After coming in contact with an Autistic child she became fascinated with the diagnosis. She spent time studying the DSM IV and doctor shopped until she got the diagnosis of Autism. It helps to come off as needing the diagnosis to “get services”. Each child was diagnosed at a young age where she could answer questions as to the child's behavior. One boy has a scar on his forehead from being pushed when he was about five or six. The Mother has trained him to say it was from “head banging as an infant” when asked.

The mother’s first marriage broke up and the children’s father took them to a well-renowned Pediatric Neurologist at a leading medical university who specialized in Autism without the mother’s knowledge to get a second opinion. This doctor was provided the children and all medical and school record with an invitation to contact anyone he needed to make his determination. The older boy heard the doctor say that he could find no sign of autism in either child. The older boy and did eventually report this to his mother. The mother was angry to the point of becoming violent that this had been done and the there is no way for the boys to be diagnosed with out the doctor getting their behavioral information from her. She was upset as it could jeopardize the boy’s services, which consisted solely of SSI monies and Medicaid.

The doctor who diagnosed autism on the boys probably didn’t do it out of incompetence. He probably went on the information from the mother, as he had to, given the child’s age and the limited time he has with the child. And if the mother knows what behaviors need to be presented to fit the DSM IV criteria, it is easy to see how they can be played for the fool. Why would a doctor suspect that a mother would WANT their children to be Autistic?

One can get into the argument, especially with this mother, if it was purely for financial reasons. Perhaps it was for the attention/sympathy she gets from having an Autistic child and then multiply that by two and the money is just icing on the cake.
Oh yeah, this is VERY common these days. These women are getting diagnoses such as these earlier and earlier and watch their newborns like a hawk for any "symptoms". NEVER have there been so many women who seek some sort of a disorder diagnosis for their kids. It got much worse when some questionable study came out that it could be genetic because then they could see symptoms in every kid they had and in the future kids. WHY? They can get an SSI check for it if they can convince a doctor that the kid has ".....lifetime impairment which will cause interruption of normal daily functions....". The other two most common reasons is the sympathy factor and it gives them an easy out to not discipline their kids or actually attempt to parent the children.

I think that labeling a 2 y/o with a lifetime impairment and drugging an otherwise healthy child to get an SSI check, for attention, and to avoid being a parent, is BY FAR one of the most selfish and cruel things a person could ever to do another human being. I truly hate people who do this and it's easy to spot, so I don't know why health care professionals can't seem to crack down on it. I personally know one who has THREE autistic kids, and after the first diagnosis of the first kid it was pretty easy for her to get the same diagnosis for a PERFECTLY HEALTHY not even 2 y/o boy. There are many many many more I am acquainted with who have mulpile children with ADHD, Autism, bi-polar diagnoses, etc.... as early as 2 and 3 years old as well. It really needs stop. One of the criteria for them to get a check is that the symptoms have to present before age 7, hence the reason they are in a hurry to get a diagnosis on record.

If they didn't PAY them for these diagnoses, I think we would see the cases GREATLY diminish. I read the other day that in California, ANY behavioral diagnosis makes them eligible for TWENTY HOURS of "respite care", paid for by the state. Bascially, TWENTY HOURS of free babysitting a month, among their other perks.
Just over 10 years ago, there was a big stink about SSI and disability money going to parents who had coached their children to fake mental or psychological (and sometimes even physical) disabilities. In one notorious instance, a girl had been taught to be disruptive in school, put gum in her hair, etc., and the money the parents received as a lump sum after appeals went to buy a new car and a lot of bling, if I recall correctly. Pahrents called it the "crazy money". Counselors reported that parents would ask all the time about how they could apply for the crazy money.

(There was a similar stink at about the same time about such money going to adult alcoholics and drug addicts, who back then qualified as "disabled". They would get a lump sum dating back to their first application for benefits, and many would then use the money to go on a booze or drug binge, courtesy of the taxpayers.)

Congress raised Cain, and Social Security began dropping people wholesale from these programs in response—unfortunately, including some who had genuine disabilities, such as children with terminal diseases. Now it seems as if we're going through the same crap again with the coaching. Watch for another crackdown. I hope.
Can cats be autistic? time for a new fall wardrobe.
Rose Red Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can cats be autistic? time for a new fall
> wardrobe.

My 3 month old kitten has ADHD. She can't sit still, she won't pay attention unless it's something that interests her, and she is always running around and chasing anything that moves. Since she aggessively attacks things as well, she MAY have ODD. Also, since she will suddenly seem to give out of gas and literally pass out, I fear she may be developing early onset Bi-Polar disorder.
Seriously LOL
ROFL! Yeah, my cats have ADD too, especially my boy. He runs full tilt boogie and throws himself at his cat tree, then spins around on the top platform. Yep, definitely sounds like ADD! I'm sure our vets would concur smiling smiley

Seriously, I had no idea that this kind of thing was so common. They really need to put a stop to it now!
kidlesskim Wrote:
> Rose Red Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can cats be autistic? time for a new fall
> > wardrobe.
>
> My 3 month old kitten has ADHD. She can't sit
> still, she won't pay attention unless it's
> something that interests her, and she is always
> running around and chasing anything that moves.
> Since she aggessively attacks things as well, she
> MAY have ODD. Also, since she will suddenly seem
> to give out of gas and literally pass out, I fear
> she may be developing early onset Bi-Polar
> disorder.

Bless your little kitty.. I think I know a vet who can give her a certificate of autism.
Recommend: catnip!!

btw, my little dog 'buttons', when she was a puppy, she would be walking along and if she decided it was time for a nap, she would literally keel over mid-stride. Didn't matter where she was, but it was funny as all get-up.
m4p Wrote:
> ROFL! Yeah, my cats have ADD too, especially my
> boy. He runs full tilt boogie and throws himself
> at his cat tree, then spins around on the top
> platform. Yep, definitely sounds like ADD! I'm
> sure our vets would concur smiling smiley
>
> Seriously, I had no idea that this kind of thing
> was so common. They really need to put a stop to
> it now!

Spins around? Yours too. Does he do it with just one paw holding on?
That story is seriously fucked up. I can't help but believe that karma is going to catch up with them for labeling perfectly healthy kyds.

As far as my kitty girls are concerned my oldest has ODD along with ADHD. She may also have feline tourette's syndrome (you should hear her hiss!) My youngest is definitely bi-polar( up running around one minute, sacked out the next). She repeatedly bats a the fluff ball on a spring on the top of her scratching post, a sure sign of feline autism. If they were sprogs they'd be a goldmine!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login