Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sneauxflayke Eats Horrible Allergen, Gets Dead

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Sneauxflayke Eats Horrible Allergen, Gets Dead
March 20, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Fuck you, Julie. I have every right to say what I want on this board.

As long as no one else does, because you can't handle even the slightest disagreement on even the most inconsequential things, right?

Stop talking to me. Go fish for drama somewhere else.
March 20, 2015
juliewashere88
mumofsixbirds

As long as no one else does, because you can't handle even the slightest disagreement on even the most inconsequential things, right?

Holy shit, projection much? grinning smiley
March 20, 2015
This is where many of the articles say they ate at.

http://www.minnesotanicecafe.com/home.html

I see options on Gluten Free, but nothing on the site says anything about Dairy Free. shrug
March 20, 2015
Maybe it was suicide? Delicious, milky, sugary suicide...

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

March 20, 2015
To quote the batshit crazy bipolar chick that the author of The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America met during his travels:

"I guess that's what you pay for pancakes."
March 20, 2015
strange aeons
Maybe it was suicide? Delicious, milky, sugary suicide...

"Dairy" might crash - reincarnate you into Tortelvis ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAM1MKi7bNU

Well, the PNAs can wish for such luck in their ghostly realms.

I do think this here was a PNA ~
March 20, 2015
juliewashere88
mumofsixbirds
Um, sorry, but have to disagree.

I still think it was a PNA because:

a. They so-called forgot the kyd's medicine at home, when they knew they were going out to a restaurant to eat. The kyd was 16, and they would have KNOWN to bring his meds, especially when eating out.
b. They didn't take him to the ER right away, but home instead. Anything could have happened during that time. If he was so sick, why make a pit-stop? Why not take him to the hospital, where people could help save his life?
c. They were ordering something which likely would be cross-contaminated in a restaurant like that.
d. They were probably tired of accommodating their 16 year-old's special needs, so they decided it was easier to off him by letting him eat pancakes.
e. They are suing the restaurant for $$, which doesn't prove a PNA, but it does make me think that there was a motive.

A. It's completely reasonable to not bring meds, since he's allergic to dairy and all he has to do is not ingest any dairy. I'm allergic to amoxicillin, but I don't carry around anything for that because all I have to do is not get any amoxicillin. It's not like being allergic to bees which might come after you.
B. They took him home. That's where his MEDS were. Given how slow emergency rooms are, that could very well have been faster. It's also possible that they didn't realize he'd been exposed to dairy, since there shouldn't have been any dairy in anything he ate. And considering it took THREE DAYS for him to die, they had time to stop at home.
C. That's on the restaurant. They're the ones responsible for safe food-handling. The restaurant told them that they would not use dairy and would use clean equipment, according to the article, which they then didn't do.
D. Seriously? They'd put up with that for 16 years, but when he's 2 away from maybe moving out, THEN they're suddenly sick of it? Possible, but really fucking unlikely. I think you're just biased into thinking that way because of all the obvious PNA cases. Just because PNAs sometimes happen does NOT mean that any and every death of a minor is therefor a PNA.
E. Of course they're suing! Anyone would sue! That's how you punish companies! Companies care about money. They'll do anything they can get away with as long as it's profitable. To get them to do anything right, you have to hurt their bottom line, otherwise they'll cut every corner. You can put people in prison, but not companies. So companies have to be sued. (Especially since a murder charge wouldn't stick.)

A.) If you have a life-threatening allergy to a food item, you bring your Epi-Pens and meds wherever you fucking go. Period. I was just out at a BBQ with a friend who is allergic to peanuts and while the place does not have peanuts anywhere on premises, she still brings her shit with her because who knows? And your amoxicillin analogy is really fucking stupid. When are you going to accidentally ingest a goddamn antibiotic that has to be prescribed to you by a doctor who would see in your medical records that you're allergic and therefore wouldn't give it to you?

B.) And the hospital wouldn't have the same exact fucking medication that they could administer? Not to mention a lot of other shit that will keep him alive, given that Epi-Pens and other allergy meds are only designed to keep you alive long enough to get to the hospital. But when you're a dumbass and leave the shit at home, you're only wasting precious minutes going home before the hospital because the window where your meds will be effective isn't that long.

C.) If the establishment isn't a dedicated facility free of dairy/gluten/nuts/soy/whatever, then cross-contamination is ALWAYS a risk, even after cleaning surfaces and using new utensils. I work in the pastry kitchen of a resort and while we'll have have nut-free/dairy-free/gluten-free desserts, if a patron's allergy is life-threatening, we will tell them to not take the chance because we're a general bakeshop and our ingredients are processed in facilities that also process nuts and dairy and whatnot. Not to mention after a few hours, there's a thin layer of flour coating everything, even ourselves. Even after cleaning and sanitizing everything, we can't guarantee a goddamned thing. Especially since we can't shower mid-shift or change uniforms and we are certainly covered in flour. Which goes back to point A: always bring your fucking medication.

D.) People kill their kids at all ages for far less. This certainly would not be the first time somebody has intentionally killed somebody via denying them of their meds. The kid's too old to leave in a car or smother and blame it on SIDS. And money is a great motivator to kill somebody. Especially in a way where you can get a decent payout. I implore anybody who questions this to watch Investigation Discovery for a solid month and see all the stupidity surrounding murder just so somebody can get money.

E.) Yes, people will sue. They will sue even when the shit is their fault. And when it's "grieving" breeders doing the suing, they'll usually win because the questions that any competent defense lawyer would ask if the dead was over 18 are apparently too insensitive to ask. And a business is always in the wrong, no matter what. In all likelihood, the restaurant said that they could do their best to avoid cross-contamination, but it's still a risk given the severity of the kid's allergy. The kid and his parents decided to play a round of Russian Roulette and they lost. It's why it's recommended that if you're severely allergic to basic food items, don't go out to eat or only eat at places that specifically say "X-free." It sucks, but anaphylaxis and death suck a lot more.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
March 21, 2015
I can't help but assume the kid was a tard, and therefore PNA is quite possible. What else do you call a near-adult with a life-threatening medical condition to a common substance who doesn't carry his medicine with him? Otherwise it's just reckless and irresponsible and, quite frankly, Darwin Award material.

I was taken to the hospital twice as a child due to asthma and it was terrifying. Long before the age of 16, I routinely carried my inhaler with me, and would panic if I couldn't find it. Even now, as an adult who largely outgrew the asthma, I keep inhalers at a few strategic points around the house and bring one with me when I go out.

Note: The original article requires a log-in, so I read a different one.
March 21, 2015
mumofsixbirds
juliewashere88
mumofsixbirds

Holy shit, projection much? grinning smiley

Don't engage MO6B, seriously. I dated a guy like this. I couldn't have an opinion without needing a scientific breakdown of WHY I had that opinion. Combined with his constant need to be right, he had to prove that I was always wrong. And of course, I was ALWAYS the one who started it, even though the only things I said were "you have yours, I have mine". Needless to say, his ass got DUMPED.

Seriously, I once said that my most favorite tree to farm in Minecraft was a birch tree, right? Instead of saying something normal like "oh? Birch trees are nice." Or "I'm partial to the Spruce", this bastard literally pulled up the minecraft wiki to show me the growth rates of trees in minecraft and to prove to me that is the OAK tree that is SUPERIOR, and since he farms OAK trees, he is a superior wood farmer to me. You want to know the reason why I farmed birch trees? Because I liked the color and they were short so I could chop them down quickly. That's it. I don't need a scientific breakdown for whatever I fucking think. ESPECIALLY when it's something as small and not-life-altering as fucking video games. And proposing that one person can have their own opinion is a moot point, these types of people LIVE to be right. I think it's the psychological backlash of having no control in a stressful life that afflicts the individual's self concept, seeing as how anytime I see this, it screams "LOOK AT ME! I'M FUCKING SMART! RECOGNIZE MY WORTH".

Noone's opinion on this PNA/Possible Accident is going to matter for jack shit in the grand scheme of the universe. This isn't like abprtion or LGBT rights that affect ACTUAL people, so this officially labeled as a PETTY CONCERN.

From now on, I propose when someone starts shit we respond with "k". Just stonewall it. Because the amount of stupid fights on this board is too damn high.
March 21, 2015
Yea, I know you are right, Catharsist. I don't know why I even bothered to respond, but I did.

But back on topic, if their child was going into anaphylaxis and required treatment right at that moment, wouldn't they have called 9-1-1 because the ambulance would likely have an epi pen and other life-saving treatments in their first-aid kit?

I think if someone was serious about getting help for someone going into shock after eating a deadly allergen, they would've called themselves, or yelled out, "Hey, my kid is going into shock. I need an ambulance NOW!" And someone would have called immediately. Everyone carries cell phones nowadays. Even the restaurant has a phone.

Why bring the kid home, when precious moments are a-wasting? He would have even gotten help immediately at the hospital, because anyone who comes in with a life-threatening situation is treated right away. Thom, maybe I'm wrong about this, but it's how they treat people in Canada. If two people are rushed in to the Emergency Room, one with a broken leg, one having a heart attack, they will always treat the heart attack first.

Also, there is this little thing about personal responsibility. It was the family's poor decision to go out for pancakes, which are known to contain milk. They didn't bring his medication, and when the kid was going into anaphylactic shock, they didn't call an ambulance.

I don't think this is the restaurant's fault at all. This family has GOT to take personal responsibility on this. It was THEIR sneauphalyke that had the problem, and the restaurant is only there to serve. Unless it specifically states 'Dairy Free' on the menu, chances of cross-contamination are very high.

The very fact that they are now rid of their special sneauflayke and plan to collect money from the restaurant makes me smell a PNA.
March 21, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Yea, I know you are right, Catharsist. I don't know why I even bothered to respond, but I did.

But back on topic, if their child was going into anaphylaxis and required treatment right at that moment, wouldn't they have called 9-1-1 because the ambulance would likely have an epi pen and other life-saving treatments in their first-aid kit?

I think if someone was serious about getting help for someone going into shock after eating a deadly allergen, they would've called themselves, or yelled out, "Hey, my kid is going into shock. I need an ambulance NOW!" And someone would have called immediately. Everyone carries cell phones nowadays. Even the restaurant has a phone.

Why bring the kid home, when precious moments are a-wasting? He would have even gotten help immediately at the hospital, because anyone who comes in with a life-threatening situation is treated right away. Thom, maybe I'm wrong about this, but it's how they treat people in Canada. If two people are rushed in to the Emergency Room, one with a broken leg, one having a heart attack, they will always treat the heart attack first.

Also, there is this little thing about personal responsibility. It was the family's poor decision to go out for pancakes, which are known to contain milk. They didn't bring his medication, and when the kid was going into anaphylactic shock, they didn't call an ambulance.

I don't think this is the restaurant's fault at all. This family has GOT to take personal responsibility on this. It was THEIR sneauphalyke that had the problem, and the restaurant is only there to serve. Unless it specifically states 'Dairy Free' on the menu, chances of cross-contamination are very high.

The very fact that they are now rid of their special sneauflayke and plan to collect money from the restaurant makes me smell a PNA.

Money IS the go to motive... And honestly, and this may sound horrible, I blame the kid more than the parents. At 16, you should fucking know better. However, the parents are also marginally to blame but this idiot kid takes the (pan)cake IMO.
March 21, 2015
There seems to be a lot of detail that has been left out of these stories.

As Yurble asked, was Sneauflayke special needs or developmentally delayed? Why wasn't the Epi-Pen or other emergency treatment around at all times? As PS notes, people with extreme allergies, or their families, learn early on to carry that stuff at all times just in case. If he was "too special" :drool to carry it himself, the parents should have had it. And I've seen firsthand how often special-needs kyds do have such problems... A cousin's two sons are both on the autism spectrum, and both have severe allergies to such things as pet dander, so I have to make sure I have no cat hair on my clothes when I see them at family gatherings.

A lot of big rodents are smelling up the place when it comes to this family's story. And then buttermilk pancakes with an extreme dairy allergy, at a restaurant that allegedly knew the family? Bigger rats, more stink...

Wouldn't it be great if the restaurant was able to come up with a receipt showing that the family didn't order pancakes or anything else likely to be a problem?
March 21, 2015
They should've called an ambulance Or taken him straight to the ER. Don't pass go, don't collect thousands of dollars. The ER wouldn't be slow in this case. He would've been taken back immediately. The paramedics likely would've saved his life. I blame the parents and the kid. At 16, you should know enough to bring your meds. These idiots lacked common sense and it's not the restaurant's fault. Cross contamination can happen anywhere. The parents and the kid were total morons and it's their OWN FAULT he's dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
March 23, 2015
selidororous
I've made pancakes - and know for a fact they can indeed be made with water NOT milk - sounds like Moo and Duh in this case were too fucking lazy to make Snotford some water-based pancakes at home.

But then most breeders are too lazy to cook.....

A cool recipe is right Here.

I am not allergic to dairy but I am going to make these one day just to see how they turn out.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
March 23, 2015
Here is another one:

The family of an 11-year-old Shelby County boy who died last year after eating a cookie at a Publix Super Market in Clarksville, Tenn., has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the grocery store saying it violated federal law regarding the identity of potential allergens in its food.

The mother, grandfather, and aunt of Derek Landon Wood filed the lawsuit on Friday in federal court in Nashville. The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of damages against Publix.

Wood's family asks that the grocery store be declared liable under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act "to raise awareness of potential fatal food allergies in American children." The family also claims Publix was negligent for not labeling its baked goods and identify any allergens, for not posting signs warning of potential allergens or cross-contamination, or for not properly training its employees to respond to questions about food allergens.

Publix has a website with nutritional info on it. Isn't it your responsibility to know what you are feeding yourself or your kid?

Efforts to reach a Publix spokeswoman prior to publication of this story were unsuccessful. The grocery store chain had not been served with a copy of the lawsuit as of late Monday afternoon, according to court records.

And they won't comment on pending litigation anyways. No company does.

Wood was a student at Vincent Middle School and had completed sixth grade. He lived with his mother and grandparents in Sterrett. He had asthma and had been known to have an allergy to tree nuts since he was 4-years-old, the lawsuit states.

On May 31, 2014, Landon and his mother visited his aunt in Clarksville, a city about 50 miles northwest of Nashville.

On June 3 Landon, his mother, aunt, and a cousin visited a Publix store.

During that visit Landon's mother bought an unlabeled "Chocolate Chew" cookie he wanted. The mother specifically asked a Publix associate at the bakery counter whether the cookie contained any tree nuts. "The Publix associate affirmatively said the Chocolate Chew contained no tree nut ingredients," the lawsuit states.

OK she said/she said never works, and Publix will have good lawyers. But the fact that you relied on a minimum wage employee who was not the baker is negligence on your own part. Moo bought an unlabeled cookie? I have never seen individual anything that is unlabeled in Publix and have not set foot in one in over a decade...so they have been labeled that long. Here is a recall for a labeled cookie recall that may have had nuts....in 2001. I call bullshit.

I love the chocolate chewies...and they are good because they are not made with wheat flour,...they are made with NUTS!!! Moo could have double checked on her cell phone if she wasn't too busy playing Candy Crush. Here is a recipe from a former Publix baker...made with pecans. And that link was posted in 2006 so this is common knowledge.

After eating the cookie once he returned to his aunt's house, Landon went into anaphylactic shock and died despite being immediately being given medication by his mother and efforts by emergency medical personnel and by doctors at a local hospital and later that night at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.

"The mother is devastated" over the loss of her only child, said Eddie Schmidt, a Nashville attorney representing the family. "The aunt was so shaken up she had to move from her house."

Bitch, please. You had to move because your nephew ate something that you did not screen and got sick in your house?

"This has shaken both women to the core," Schmidt said.

I bet it has...and if she only read what her kid was eating before counting on a clerk who did not make the damn thing...if in fact she did ask.

Birmingham attorney Matt Abbott also represents the family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
March 23, 2015
This is not 150 years ago. We know what goes into our food products. If the company put something nasty in there and lied about it, yes, it is their fault, but if the parents simply are failing to do their job of protecting and raising their spawn, it is absolutely on their heads.
March 23, 2015
Shelby County is Memphis, which is a good 3 hours from Murphreesboro, which is just outside Nashville. I do think this is a little different because in the original post, the family was told by the restaurant that there was no dairy. In the Tennessee case, it sounds like they grabbed something from the shelf without bothering to read the ingredients and the child also wasn't bumping up against the age of majority. I also wonder why they would choose to play Russian Roulette so far from home. However, back to the original allergy snowflake, unless I issued something, there is no India he was a tard and so at 16 he should have both been carrying his own epipen and been capable of calling 911. hell, 5 year olds know how to call 911 so I don't really see a kid that old allowing somebody to PNA him. He should be managing his own allergy and health at that age.
March 24, 2015
Original kid: the pancakes almost always are made with milk or some product thereof.

Too many holes in this story. They claim in their suit they rarely eat out, but then there is this: “We didn’t have to wait for a table,” Cindy Johnson, Scott's mom, told CBS Minnesota. “They knew us by name.”

They relied on a minimum wage grill cook in a small restaurant for guidance to snowflake's deathly allergies? He doesn't carry his epi-pen?

Now the good news...Minnesota laws may not let them recover:

Minnesota has modified comparative fault: liability of defendant is reduced in proportion to plaintiff fault as long as plaintiff remains less. If it is 50/50 plaintiff is barred from recovery.

Tennessee has modified comparative bar but will still recover (right to damages reduced by own liability but they are not barred from recovering.) SO "I haaave to have this chocolate chewy cookie with no label and known to be made with tree nuts" will still get money. My guess is not much though.

http://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/contributory-negligence-comparative-fault-laws-in-all-50-states.pdf

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
March 24, 2015
Guess what tree nut moo....there is no law about having signs. And if it was taken from a case and packaged for you, no labels are required....and cross contamination is expected.

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/allergens/ucm106890.htm#q27

Wave buh-bye to the big payday.

March 25, 2015
Restaurants and stores should not have to be in the medical business. If I made or sold any food I would just list all the big allergens as being in the food in a big posted warning sign, just to cover my ass. If anyone asked me if ingredient X was in the food I'd just say yes whether it was actually in it or not.

When I needed to be on a special diet when I was a kid, I could not eat out at all. Everything was made at home with certain ingredients and yeah it was a depressing diet. Fortunately I didn't need to live on that diet too long but if I had to, I understood I would have to get used to it and learn to make my own meals and snacks and carry my own food with me. That was not for a life threatening condition, if it was you can bet my parents would never have allowed me to eat anything outside of our own kitchen, since you know, you can die if some waitress gets the information wrong.

Why would you trust your kid's life to someone else like that, unless you didn't give two fucks about that kid?!
Last week, I received a call from the school nurse telling me she had a student in her office that was in the beginning stages of a violent allergic reaction, (nut allergy) and he had eaten a cinnamon roll for breakfast. I told her we didn't have actual cinnamon rolls but a pre-packaged product, got one and read the label to her. No warning on the wrapper about being processed in a facility that may process nut products.
She sent a security officer over to get one as a sample so she could see for herself as proof.
The student (and the mini-cini) went to the hospital via ambulance. Mommy meets him there and of course wants to know how such a thing could happen, that precious got something that made him sick.
When my manager returned she called the nurse as well as our director and they went through the files. No medical statement on file for this student. Now they are trying to figure out HOW he had such a sudden and serious attack from a product that shouldn't really have caused it.
I got a bright idea!!! I ran a report on the computer terminal that was used for serving that breakfast line and guess what, that student's number wasn't used. His name was not on the list of students we had served that morning.
I tell my manager, who calls the nurse, who in turn calls student's mommy again. With this knowledge, mommy confronts student who finally admits he got a frappucino and cinnamon roll from a friend that morning before school.
No way to know for sure, but I'm guessing he started to feel wonky and went to nurse's office, and rather than admit right away what he ate and drank (probably would be in worse trouble) he figured he could blame it on the cafeteria.

That shot was BLOCKED!!!!!

He was treated and has recovered and come back to school, BTW...

(I know it's not exactly the same, but the stories were so similar I figured I'd share my teen/allergen incident here.)
March 27, 2015
IMO, this whole thing sounds like a cash grab / PNA:

The story is conflicting, the family saying they don't eat out much, yet they don't have to wait for a table at this place because the staff know the family by name. They know their spwechuull sneuxflechke has allergies yet they let him order pancakes with no guarantees that these allergens could be avoided.

I also agree with what others said on here, why didn't they call an ambulance or bring him directly to the ER if the allergy was that bad? Noooo parunts bought schewfleque home.

Hmm.. this could be a cover up as well, using the resturaunt as a scapegoat while slipping something into his pancakes?
March 27, 2015
My sign would be "We don't make food in plastic bubbles so cross contamination will happen. Eat at your own risk. "

They are both hoping for a fat settlement. A savvy corporate attorney will zap it for Publix as they are citing laws that actually don't apply. Hopefully the mom-n-pop place will have a decent lawyer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login