Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who will care for you when you're old? Nobody.

Posted by yurble 
Re: Who will care for you when you're old? Nobody.
May 17, 2015
craftyzits
I want it to be known that my condition isn't such where suicide is my option. However, considering my health and possibility of becoming at the mercy of others, I keep 'keys' to all doors.

This disclaimer is meant to ease any minds.

its cool, I can understand, I fear the day when my condition makes it so that I don't have a choice but to carry a adult depends kit bag everywhere I go, and the horrible thought that my damaged vertebrae might wear down over time to the point I can no longer stand and walk of my own free will.

I could probably deal with the former, but unless I have a sweet set of personal wheels, the latter will be rough.

I know I've attempted suicide before when everything in my home/personal/work/financial life all went to shit at the same time with no hope of recovery, but its not something i'd want to go through again, i'd rather just die of old age, and even then, i'd rather just go in my sleep or something out of the blue, rather than practically on life support because someone else cant/wont let go.

mr exiles grand father is a shining example that made us discuss this at length to understand each others wishes, his grandads listed as not to be intervened if something happens or his condition worsens, but mr exiles uncle isn't ready to let go, and extended his life when he needed an urgent organ transplant a little while back to live, his grandad has alzimers, can no longer walk, sit upright, eat, drink or toilet without assistance, he'll forget to swallow food unless someone asks if he has, he can barely talk on a good day, can no longer remember his wife's face, and is slowly forgetting his daughter and grandson.

even though we're young now, dosnt mean we cant be mowed down by a car tomorrow and turned into a vegetable, I know mr exiles mum wishes she could perform a mercy killing or assisted suicide on her father to put him out of his misery, If I was in his condition, i'd wish for that to.
May 17, 2015
@ craftyzits: That's interesting that something like that could get published.
Thank you for the info.
May 17, 2015
mrs. chinaski
@ craftyzits: That's interesting that something like that could get published.
Thank you for the info.

Your very welcome.

Staying on the air is a challenge for those who are 'right to die' but they are determined and the Internet's a big place. Even youtube can be worked around.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 18, 2015
@ exile: OMG, I am so sorry.
I am healthy but I know how it feels like when family, partnership, friendship, finances, career..simply everything goes wrong. I experienced that situation 8 years ago, it sort of traumatized me. I will never forget the dispair I felt. I wished I was dead every single day. I cannot image facing such difficulties in life with fragile health :-(

In terms of Mr. Exile's father, that poor man has no quality of life anymore....
exile
[
mr exiles grand father is a shining example that made us discuss this at length to understand each others wishes, his grandads listed as not to be intervened if something happens or his condition worsens, but mr exiles uncle isn't ready to let go, and extended his life when he needed an urgent organ transplant a little while back to live, his grandad has alzimers, can no longer walk, sit upright, eat, drink or toilet without assistance, he'll forget to swallow food unless someone asks if he has, he can barely talk on a good day, can no longer remember his wife's face, and is slowly forgetting his daughter and grandson.

even though we're young now, dosnt mean we cant be mowed down by a car tomorrow and turned into a vegetable, I know mr exiles mum wishes she could perform a mercy killing or assisted suicide on her father to put him out of his misery, If I was in his condition, i'd wish for that to.

Very good point about a catastrophic accident. Here's one thing that frightens me: We're always told, "Get a Living Will! Put your wishes in writing so you don't wind up on a bunch of machines!" BUT....Living Wills/End of Life plans aren't as legally binding as are wills. You can decide how your property is to be distributed upon your death, but you can't really decide when to be allowed to die. You can have the best drawn up LW in the world, and if a relative is there begging the doctor, "I'm sure s/he didn't mean it;we're [insert religion here] and we believe all life is sacred!" , if the doctor "isn't comfortable with" shutting off life support under such circumstances, s/he is perfectly within his/her rights to leave the machines running, your LW and stated wishes be damned.

Which is why, if/when I have to take matters into my own hands, I'll probably have to go out in the woods in high August or the depths of January, just to make sure....It's ridiculous that we even have to think of such things. AGAIN: If our dogs and cats are worthy of being put out of their misery when old age and dementia close in,why aren't we? Do we own ourselves, or are we "human resources"/ property of the government, who can only be released when it's obvious there's no more tax dollars to be squeezed out of us?
mrs. chinaski
@ craftyzits: Thank you for the book recommendation! I'll definitely read the book.
I feel it's never too early start informing youself. Knowledge is power....

It is comforting to know that in a case of emergency, there is a way out.

Btw. Dignitas advertises that the process with them takes 3 months to complete.
They are willing to make an exception in a case of emergency.

Yes, thank you CZ....And thank you MC for the heads up on Dignitas. Have to look into them...Just in case...
May 18, 2015
I was looking into it for a family friend who had terminal cancer.
In the end, she refused euthanasia and died in the hospital.
May 18, 2015
Dorisan
Dh will be 65 in November and eligible for Medicare. I guess approaching that magic number has created an alert; hardly a day goes by that he doesn't get an e-mail or paper mail solicitation for all sorts of "old people" (he's not OLD, not to me anyway) stuff. Invitations to senior centers, info packets from associations that put together social soirees for older folks, charter bus tours .. This past week, he got a thick envelope from the county, detailing the services provided for our area. One dollar will get him a ride to doctor appointments, Walmart and the mall (on certain days and hours) in a short bus. He has been invited to come talk to the local SHIIP consultant to discuss enrollment in Medicare. I am definitely going to set up an appointment with them. That Medicare shit is confusing.

If an old person is in the US and lives in a not-poor area (like those Hickabamassippi states) there is no need for them to feel isolated. There are services and social networks available. This woman seems to be whining because she's being ignored (maybe for good reason) by family.

65 is middle age FFS; my brother, who is ten years older than me (I'm 48) gets shit from the AARP all the time and he throws it into the trash with a "Fuck that shit"

Well.

To make a very long story super short.

Whenever I do spend time with him (he lives in the same state as I do, in the Orlando area) I find it all too easy to forget his real age because he doesn't look it. He could easily pass for 40. Never had kids, is in a LTR, knows how to take care of himself, worked for many years in the health and fitness industry.
May 18, 2015
ex lurker

If our dogs and cats are worthy of being put out of their misery when old age and dementia close in,why aren't we? Do we own ourselves, or are we "human resources"/ property of the government, who can only be released when it's obvious there's no more tax dollars to be squeezed out of us?

It is not just the gubermint. It is Sky Daddy! We don't own ourselves remember? Only he can say when to live and when to croak! smile rolling left righteyes2

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
May 19, 2015
selidororous
65 is middle age FFS; my brother, who is ten years older than me (I'm 48) gets shit from the AARP all the time and he throws it into the trash with a "Fuck that shit"

LOL you start getting AARP invitations to enroll as a member when you turn 50, just as I have been getting for about 2 years (I'm 52). You are less than 2 years away from getting that stuff in the mail, so start looking forward to it! What I want to know is how do they know where to find me and how do they know how old I am?
May 19, 2015
peace-n-quiet
ex lurker

If our dogs and cats are worthy of being put out of their misery when old age and dementia close in,why aren't we? Do we own ourselves, or are we "human resources"/ property of the government, who can only be released when it's obvious there's no more tax dollars to be squeezed out of us?

It is not just the gubermint. It is Sky Daddy! We don't own ourselves remember? Only he can say when to live and when to croak! smile rolling left righteyes2

And the majority of those in our fucked up government are Christ-tards.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 19, 2015
Sky Daddy :-)))) I must remember this, this is genius!

Yes, the Sky Daddy gave you cancer because you've sinned! :-)

I think it's about control and money.
The control thing is clear - the government won't allow you to die when you
want/need to as you are its property. You should not come on the idea that
you can do what you want to do with your own life. You should follow the LifeScript blindly.

The money thing - all the hospitals and retiring homes benefit from the old people.
The old people pay from their savings. When their savings dry up, tax payers
take over the bill (in the country where I currently live).
And now, who are the owners of hospitals and retiring homes? They are mostly big companies,
big investors...
Imagine what would happen if old people decided to end their lives because they wouldn't want
to be dependent on someone. That would be the end of the money-making-process.
May 19, 2015
I personally only worry about people abusing the power to euthanize people.

#1 yes if an older person wants to die with dignity before it comes to someone wiping their arse and assuming their deaf because they cant speak much anymore - this is a practical application

#2 yes if an older person has clearly instructed in their will somewhere that they would rather be euthanized than a bed ridden vegetable burden to society, but is in the state where this cannot be communicated -this is a practical application

#3 if an older person in either condition is euthanized because their viewed as old and the elderly persons kids don't want to deal with them or place them in homes till they reach a stage that's acceptable to mercy kill via euthanization -this is a impractical application that shouldn't be aloud to happen.

but of course #3 would at some point happen, which borderlines premeditated murder, same if a hospital started to operate on an elderly person that needed a transplant, and thought that organ would be better suited to a younger person, and euthanized the older person claiming that they died on the table from being to old and weak, these are the only things I really worry about when it comes to the topic of euthanization.

I see a benefit in the idea that parents of low functioning awtards would finally have an option after birth to not bring up a full blown burden to socitity, or would likely off a few kids/ spouses lowering the overall population level down a notch, however this might make life insurance void.

otherwise, I agree, if pets can have that level of dignity and kindness, why cant humans?
May 20, 2015
mrs. chinaski
Imagine what would happen if old people decided to end their lives because they wouldn't want
to be dependent on someone. That would be the end of the money-making-process.

The right to die movement is gaining traction. There are several easy ways to go 'bye bye'. Note the exit bag.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 20, 2015
@ craftyzits: I believe that people will gradually change their minds.
A lot of people will understand that Sky Daddy won't help them and that they
will have to make a decision by themselves.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login