Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I wonder how common this is in the minds of interviewers

Posted by cfdavep 
Re: I wonder how common this is in the minds of interviewers
August 05, 2015
Zzelda
Exile,

I was going to ask if you were Dyslexic, your explanation makes sense.

I was wondering because I was going to suggest 'tech' or 'biz' oriented work. And you can't transpose numbers of course. But if you don't have a Dyslexia problem, it shouldn't be an issue.

I think I am somewhat dyslexic and I know I have some ADD. I did not have easy time at elementary and junior high - I did pass all the classes but I did have to work way harder than most people around me. High school was a hit or miss but I passed all classes too, was on honor roll a couple of times. Once I got into college and pursued computer science, I had much easier time than others. Being at the top of the class was basically the norm and I don't remember even having to work hard for it. As far as my spelling and grammar, I don't think it is that good, but, spell checker does help. I think for me, it is the choice of words that sometimes takes the intended meaning out of a sentence. But they say practice makes perfect, that is if there is perfect grinning smiley Tech work for me worked well with my "issues". I put issues in "quotes" because what was an issue in elementary school ended up being a huge plus in college and a huge plus in the working world.
August 05, 2015
exile
Zzelda
Can you think in the abstract?
This could be an interview question, perhaps -
Im an inside the box thinker, since sometimes the most simple logical idea can be the most effective.

Even though my background is tech savvy, im trying to move on from the IT sector, i know this is a great chance to phrase my response to your posed question as an interview response, but for right now I'm going to pitch the most logical response that stands out to me, bare in mind, i am sick and friggen tired, and spit balled this response of the top of my head (imagine the clarity of a good days response).

You got the printer as more or less a freebie, you likely would not have purchased said printer if it wasnt part of the computer package, unless you have use for daily scan, copy, fax and print features, it isn't really worth the space it consumes to keep, ignoring current advances in phone technology that leave scan/fax/copy features in the dust. The fact is you likely dont need the device unless you actually need to print anything, even then, there are much smaller, high quality cost effective basic printers on the market it could be replaced with, again only if you actually have use for such a feature in the first place.

Since what you've said suggests that it was never of use to begin with, the real question should be "why didn't you negotiate on the computer package to swap it out for a more useful device to your needs for similar cost?"

This is a good answer, Exile smiling smiley

If it were a job interview question I would accept this answer. You're right, I should have tried to negotiate for something else too.

Why *I* think it's pointless is - if it scans in things - you have the file in the system and you can keep printing copies off of that. There is no need for it to continuously photo copy things - they only need to be scanned once, they do not need to be continuously photographed like a copy machine. This is pointless. You only need to scan something once and you can then chose 'print 100 copies' if you want.

There really is no purpose to it's function of continuously photo copying things. Oh, I suppose you could say - you can use it like a copier, someone may want such a function - but it really is not necessary. Scan and print is all that's needed. Which it does. So what's the point of it acting like a copier too? For what?
Once something is scanned in you can make multiple prints.

Yes it is fairly new too, I'm kind of stumped as to why they made the thing this way. In fact I never really used it had kept using an older one which is, yanno, a regular printer. And that thing scans and will print high quality color pix. And if you want more copies, in the print menu, you change 'number of copies' to 10 bazillion or whatever. And, later on, next week Wednesday, if you feel like making more copies you just pick that file - and print another 10 bazillion.

There really is no point of the thing acting like a xerox machine. For what? If you just want to use it that way? Not create a file? But that's easier and less wasteful (energy). It's also not this hulking machine that weighs a ton and has more parts to break. And the thing itself functions as above anyway. What is the point of this?

To give me a hernia?
I think I'm going to throw it away. (I will put it outside in front of my recycling can because someone may want it. Yes I have the book and disk for it too.)

Unless someone here wants it? grinning smiley
I will guess not. Unless you want a hernia?

It's not old either, is what's bizarre. I have older things that are much more streamlined, produce better quality, are easier to use, and you can print as many copies as you want, too.

Crazy thing.

Maybe that's why it was free? Oh and 'negotiations' - they probably said to me - This one comes with a FREE printer too! Oh, OK. And I'm thinking 'printer'. And then they surprise you with one of these monstrosities. Gah.

Yeah, this may be a tad disjointed, it's been 'one of those days' for me too. Today I learned how to fix a toilet from a You Tube video. One of mine broke. At 3 am smile rolling left righteyes2 It's pretty simple (the valve stuff in the tank). I called someone anyway - I can 'do things on paper' but I'm a clod who's best kept away from fucking up things even worse. Plus I just didn't feel like it.

I got a construction guy to do it too. He was coming over anyway (AC having issues too smile rolling left righteyes2) and I guessed correctly that he could do it.

Now where did I make a mistake here?
I should've asked him - Want a free printer? grinning smiley If 'NO' --> Mind carrying this out to the recycling for me?

Ah well. I'm sure something else will FAIL soon enough!
August 05, 2015
Part of the problem with some females and the workplace is not just their propensity to breed but their habit of talking about nothing about their fucking famblies non-stop. To me, the topic of fambly does NOT mix with the workplace. Even when I worked for an employer (I'm self employed at the present) I NEVER discussed anything to do with my family or husband or then-fiancee. It was not done.

Nowadays, a woman gets knocked up, her workplace pays for it, and when she returns what happens? The days she does show up to work it's nothing but yammering on about her crotchfruit, husband, etc. Not very professional - at all.

Keeping all that in mind, no wonder it is so difficult for a woman to gain full-time employment in the United States.
Peace
Exile, I'm typing this on a table right now. After typing the reply, I review the post before hitting the send button. There are errors, however I make a point of correcting them before posting here, or anywhere. My auto-correct suggests the funkiest words, but I ignore it.

You might consider studying English spelling and grammar rules on your spare time.

I have to agree. When someone uses poor spelling and grammar, yet English is their native tongue, they tend to lose credibility with me. I try to not judge too harshly because that person could have dyslexia, and/or a learning disability, but it seems to me that it's often a case of simply having a lackadaisical attitude. People just don't care if they look uneducated.

I, too, am typing on a tablet. I used to have a Sony laptop from 2009, but Internet Explorer became infected with a virus, so the thing has been in its bag for ages now, since I don't know how to fix it.

I will click on the icon to start up the Internet and it will cancel itself.
August 05, 2015
@selidororous
Only worked with 3 other females that weren't family, always yammering on about their kids, or the kid would turn up at work, mind you this was in a warehouse no less.

@peace
exile
you might be amazed to know i used spell check on every single post I've made to date, since it never shows anything wrong with my punctuation or grammar, save for the odd extra space, spelling error or missing capital, and i correct it before posting
Trust me, i frequently am learning new English to make up for the shit job the school system clearly did, it took me a while to work out i was a visual learner, once i figured that one out, well it's been picking up since then.

@videogamesforeverkidsnever
The thing i find interesting about that point of view on here, is that no one knew if English was even my first language and just assumed since i live in Australia that it must be, i know quite a number of members on Bratfree aren't native English speakers, they are clearly good at it, but i dont assume they are uneducated if something comes across sounding wrong, because i dont know if its a language barrier, cultural difference of opinion, local slang, like that time i asked who the hell calls breasts "paps" apparently thats a British word, boy did i look like an uneducated arsehole for that one.

Also if the virus is only effecting your IE, best to install say firefox temporarily, uninstall internet explorer through your "ad or remove programs" feature, run an anti-virus like adw cleaner or malware bytes, since you can get free working editions from online, once the scans come up clean, download the latest edition of internet explorer and see if it dose it again, if it dose it again, its probably a rootkit virus instead, i could talk you through that, but its so much easier to just take it to a local repair centre for that one.

Before you say "how am i meant to install firefox when i cant get online through IE to begin with?" use your tablet to get the install package from online, send it via your email to yourself, open and install it on your computer, and off you go.
August 05, 2015
exile
Also if the virus is only effecting your IE, best to install say firefox temporarily, uninstall internet explorer through your "ad or remove programs" feature, run an anti-virus like adw cleaner or malware bytes, since you can get free working editions from online, once the scans come up clean, download the latest edition of internet explorer and see if it dose it again, if it dose it again, its probably a rootkit virus instead, i could talk you through that, but its so much easier to just take it to a local repair centre for that one.

Before you say "how am i meant to install firefox when i cant get online through IE to begin with?" use your tablet to get the install package from online, send it via your email to yourself, open and install it on your computer, and off you go.

She may have trouble installing Mozilla Firefox if she has no working browser to begin with. Downloading the anti-virus requires a browser too. Her email maybe browser based. How will she open it? Her Windows Explorer may be messed up too and that could prevent a complete installation.

If she has an Android tablet, get a micro to standard USB adapter, connect to a USB drive, install it where you charge the tablet at and save Firefox Portable to it. Located here:

http://firefox-portable.en.softonic.com/

Install this USB into the PC and find Firefox Portable on it. This will run Firefox browser from a USB. You can then load a free copy of Avast and run that. Also, in the USA, internet providers often offer a free copy of McAfee or Norton. Those can also be installed and ran - they work OK - no ads.

Also, if the laptop is Windows XP, I am not sure that I would keep using it. If you must, use G-Parted over here:

http://gparted.org/

Partition your hard drive and install Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Ubuntu will run as a separate OS and it will give you access to many of your Windows documents. You can start Windows if you need any non-internet based programs.

If you have a rootkit virus, I would suggest pulling the hard drive, connecting to external hard drive reader and using a separate PC to scan and repair the hard drive as an external drive via USB port.

You can try without hard drive reader, but, it won't always work if you loose an important Windows file. Here is a rootkit virus remover for such:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-rootkitremover.aspx

I don't want to hijack this thread further. If anyone wants to talk PCs and related, I can do it in Patio.
August 05, 2015
Exile
1 primary school for taking the artsy approach to it's "close enough is good enough"
2 my English tutor who felt my dad screaming and belting me for getting answers wrong to the point of fearing trying to learn at all, may have been the root of my learning difficulty

I am sorry to hear that you had to live like that. I have ZERO support for "parents" like that. Sooner or later fuckers like that have to reap what they sow. Ass fucking holes.

There are people out there who think that beating kids is necessary, I have my theory on that. They either don't know the damages that it does or they have a Stockholm Syndrome. I personally have seen plenty of people who turned out really good without the old fashioned "discipline".

Exile
The thing i find interesting about that point of view on here, is that no one knew if English was even my first language and just assumed since i live in Australia that it must be, i know quite a number of members on Bratfree aren't native English speakers, they are clearly good at it, but i dont assume they are uneducated if something comes across sounding wrong, because i dont know if its a language barrier, cultural difference of opinion, local slang, like that time i asked who the hell calls breasts "paps" apparently thats a British word, boy did i look like an uneducated arsehole for that one.

I personally never assumed that English was your first language. My guess is that people could tell that you were not struggling with the language so they figured it was either your first language or that you were proficient in it.

My spelling is not all that great to begin with, so I am not complaining.
Techie
exile

She may have trouble installing Mozilla Firefox if she has no working browser to begin with. Downloading the anti-virus requires a browser too. Her email maybe browser based. How will she open it? Her Windows Explorer may be messed up too and that could prevent a complete installation.

If she has an Android tablet, get a micro to standard USB adapter, connect to a USB drive, install it where you charge the tablet at and save Firefox Portable to it. Located here:

http://firefox-portable.en.softonic.com/

Install this USB into the PC and find Firefox Portable on it. This will run Firefox browser from a USB. You can then load a free copy of Avast and run that. Also, in the USA, internet providers often offer a free copy of McAfee or Norton. Those can also be installed and ran - they work OK - no ads.

Also, if the laptop is Windows XP, I am not sure that I would keep using it. If you must, use G-Parted over here:

http://gparted.org/

Partition your hard drive and install Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Ubuntu will run as a separate OS and it will give you access to many of your Windows documents. You can start Windows if you need any non-internet based programs.

If you have a rootkit virus, I would suggest pulling the hard drive, connecting to external hard drive reader and using a separate PC to scan and repair the hard drive as an external drive via USB port.

You can try without hard drive reader, but, it won't always work if you loose an important Windows file. Here is a rootkit virus remover for such:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-rootkitremover.aspx

I don't want to hijack this thread further. If anyone wants to talk PCs and related, I can do it in Patio.

Thank you to you both. I'm so terrible at fixing electronics. I gave up on my laptop ages ago because I got an iPad for Christmas in 2013 anyway.
August 06, 2015
videogamesforeverkidsnever
Thank you to you both. I'm so terrible at fixing electronics. I gave up on my laptop ages ago because I got an iPad for Christmas in 2013 anyway.

Come to think about it, you probably have Vista or Windows 7 if the laptop was built in 2009. Neither one of those usually came with an email client that was "stand alone" - unless it came pre-loaded with MS Office. Being that you have an iPad, you don't have a spot where you can plug in a jump drive. There is a wireless hub that will let you do it, but, that costs money. I would try to load Firefox Portable onto USB by using a different PC and going from there. You don't have to have Ubuntu if you have Windows 7, although it is not a bad idea.
August 06, 2015
exile
@selidororous
Only worked with 3 other females that weren't family. They were always yammering on about their kids, or the kid would turn up at work. Mind you, this was in a warehouse, no less.

@peace
exile
You might be amazed to know, I used spell check on every single post I've made to date. It never shows anything wrong with my punctuation or grammar, save for the odd extra space, spelling error or missing capital, and I correct it before posting
Trust me, I frequently am learning new English to make up for the shit job the school system clearly did. It took me a while to work out I was a visual learner. Once I figured that one out, well it's been picking up since then. Run-on sentences only worked for James Joyce!

@videogamesforeverkidsnever
The thing I find interesting about that point of view on here, is that no one knew if English was even my first language and just assumed, that since I live in Australia, that it must be.

I
know quite a number of members on Bratfree aren't native English speakers. They are clearly good at it, but I don't assume they are uneducated, if something comes across sounding wrong, because I dont know if it's a language barrier, cultural difference of opinion or local slang, like that time I asked who the hell calls breasts "paps". Apparently that's a British word; boy did I look like an uneducated arsehole for that one. Nobody considers a person uneducated, if they don't know a word in a local slang. We're not encyclopaedias.

Also, if the virus is only affecting your IE, it's best to temporatily install, say Firefox temporarily, uninstall Internet Explorer through your "add or remove programs" feature and run an anti-virus like AdwCleaner or Malware Bytes. Since you can get free working editions from online, once the scans come up clean, download the latest edition of Internet Explorer and see if it does it again. If it does it again, it's probably a rootkit virus instead. I could talk you through that, but it's so much easier to just take it to a local repair centre for that one.

Before you say "how am I meant to install Firefox, when I can't get online through IE to begin with?" Use your tablet to get the install package from online, send it via your email to yourself, open and install it on your computer, and off you go.

I probably didn't get all the mistakes; I just tried to highlight the most glaring ones. I might have made some myself.
Nobody considers you uneducated for making a few typos. We account for this. We know that typos and brain farts happen. We certainly aren't about to jump down someone's throat, for having a moron moment.

But your posts usually contain more than just a few typos. I don't mean to harp on you; I just want to demonstrate, that you are perhaps unaware, just how difficult it is for some of us to read your posts.

I realise that touch screens are bastards when it comes to typing. That said, we must strike a balance between speed and clarity. There are numerous tools you can use in your quest for linguistic hygiene. You can use autocorrect, you can download and set a dictionary for the said autocorrect, this forum has a spell checker, you can download and set a dictionary for the spell checker and if all else fails, Google is always ready with a definition and correct spelling.

The run on sentences and whack-an-error spelling, discourage people from reading your posts, which is a pity, since I think you have a lot to contribute to this board.

When it comes to polishing your English, I would go to a library and check out Headway Intermediate books. Since you need spelling and grammatical structure, rather than vocabulary, you can study them yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
August 06, 2015
Good post, trekkie monster. I, too, think exile has a lot to say and the content is well worth reading. But her posts are often a challenge to read it even though they don't discourage me from reading them.

Trekkie monster, you did a fine job of cleaning up those posts. I say this as someone who took professional business writing courses in my 23 year career which included a lot of writing for my staff, my superiors in management, and insurance regulators in the property and casualty insurance industry. I took my writing seriously, as it was part of my job description (and got paid well for it). I would not hesitate to take 30-45 minutes to write a lengthy email to make sure it was as perfect as I could make it for grammar, usage, and clarity, all vital in my field.

I do admit I "let my hair down" in these message boards and forums, as there is far less pressure to make everything totally perfect like I did at my old job. I don't proofread everything to the degree I did back then, so a few typos may get through. But I am very reluctant to be critical of others who do not have my experience and education in business writing because I don't want to be criticized if I make any mistakes.

Exile, see how trekkie monster fixed those posts. We hope you can learn from our writing styles to improve your writing so we can enjoy your posts even more.
August 06, 2015
deegee
Good post, trekkie monster. I, too, think exile has a lot to say and the content is well worth reading. But her posts are often a challenge to read it even though they don't discourage me from reading them.

Trekkie monster, you did a fine job of cleaning up those posts. I say this as someone who took professional business writing courses in my 23 year career which included a lot of writing for my staff, my superiors in management, and insurance regulators in the property and casualty insurance industry. I took my writing seriously, as it was part of my job description (and got paid well for it). I would not hesitate to take 30-45 minutes to write a lengthy email to make sure it was as perfect as I could make it for grammar, usage, and clarity, all vital in my field.

I do admit I "let my hair down" in these message boards and forums, as there is far less pressure to make everything totally perfect like I did at my old job. I don't proofread everything to the degree I did back then, so a few typos may get through. But I am very reluctant to be critical of others who do not have my experience and education in business writing because I don't want to be criticized if I make any mistakes.

Exile, see how trekkie monster fixed those posts. We hope you can learn from our writing styles to improve your writing so we can enjoy your posts even more.

Thank you blushing
English is a foreign language for me. I confess that I have an enormous ego, when it comes to my proficiency in it.

I too, am quick to make a post, perfunctorily editing it without properly proofreading it, but this is why we have a spell checker. To avoid egregious mistakes.
As I said before, no one will accost you for a typo. We know typos (not babies) happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
August 06, 2015
If I owned a company, I'd hire middle-aged single women only. No one under 45 and no one with existing kids.
August 06, 2015
JoJo
If I owned a company, I'd hire middle-aged single women only. No one under 45 and no one with existing kids.

Believe it or not, many small businesses are like that. The ones that have under 50 employees, they are allowed to pick and choose and they do. You can tell when you walk into one of those places - even their receptionists are often over 50. When it comes to productivity, age is just a number unless you are doing hard physical labor.
August 07, 2015
Repeat post removed by mods. The discussion of spelling is welcome to continue, in the Patio, where it has been moved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login