Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TV's subliminal influence on women's perception of pregnancy and birth

Posted by freya 
Re: TV's subliminal influence on women's perception of pregnancy and birth
August 28, 2015
As far as original topic goes, I can safely say that most of the stuff that is shown on TV is not real and does not claim to be. I have seen talking dogs and cats on TV - how real is that? Why would anyone assume that story would be real on TV about childbirth is above my level of intellect.

Speaking of TV that actually has some truth. A few years ago, I saw this one program on History Channel about Ancient Rome. During that time, childbirth was even more dangerous than it is now. Some women chose celibacy and remained that way their entire lives. They were willing to give up on their desires in order to maintain their safety. The idea of being CF is nothing new.
@ Techie:
"Ancient Rome. During that time, childbirth was even more dangerous
than it is now. Some women chose celibacy and remained that way their
entire lives. They were willing to give up on their desires in order to maintain their safety."

-> that's interesting. I occassionaly read and watch documentaries about Ancient Rome
but I haven't heard /read that anywhere.
On the TCFL, some people say being CF is an orientation. They were born like that -
no decision necessary. That makes sense to me.
I think that there may be some element of "survival instinct" in that.
For women: pignasty / birth may kill me or lead to some serious health issues
For women and men: chyld takes something out of my resources
(money, time, energy..) therefore it makes it harder for me to "compete".

I always cringe when I see those unrealistical portrays of mothers
and their lives on TV.
F.e.
In SATC, it was Miranda. She was a lawyer in New York who wanted
to become partner. She had a chyld as a single mother. Suddenly,
a housekeeper Magda appeared, who didn't mind to work like 18 hours a day.
-> Miranda worked allegedly 60 hours a week. Magda was in the
apartment when Miranda left for work and she stayed until she came back.
In Mad Man, it was Joan. She was a partner of the advertising agency
who had a chyld as a divorced woman. Suddenly, her mother came to
live with her and take care of the chyld.
As if that all would happen in a real life...
Re: TV's subliminal influence on women's perception of pregnancy and birth
August 28, 2015
mrs.Chinaski
-> that's interesting. I occassionaly read and watch documentaries about Ancient Rome
but I haven't heard /read that anywhere.
On the TCFL, some people say being CF is an orientation. They were born like that -
no decision necessary. That makes sense to me.
I think that there may be some element of "survival instinct" in that.
For women: pignasty / birth may kill me or lead to some serious health issues
For women and men: chyld takes something out of my resources
(money, time, energy..) therefore it makes it harder for me to "compete".

I was trying to find stuff about CF in Ancient Rome online and so far all was to no avail. History Channel is known to show non-conventional stuff, theories, hypotheses and little known discoveries. Some stuff is not all that, like Mountain Men (bunch of hillbillies) but other stuff is rather interesting.

Being CF, for me, I have very little doubt that I was born like that. It is just I did not realize until I was about 5 or 6 that marriage is avoidable. There was something in me that made not want to parent - maybe even from day one. I did not understand back then how exactly kids would be avoidable, but, I saw people who lived alone who did not have kids. So, I started asking basic questions: "mom, what does one have to do to live alone, is it difficult to do?" Back then, I had no idea that even marriage was optional. Of course my mother back then did not know why I wanted to live alone, but when I told her it was because I did not want kids, she actually did not oppose me but explained to me how to finish school, go to college, get a job, buy your own place of your choice. She did warn me later on that if I did not want kids that I will have trouble finding a woman who does not. She was right 50%. I met many women who did not want kids. I just did not end up with one. grinning smiley
Mr S and I have been cable tv less for well over ten fucking years now and do not miss it.

We have been watching "The Mummy: The Legacy Collection" (Universal) all evening.

Now this is worthwhile viewing. Love "The Mummy's Hand" (1940) the best. heart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login