Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

16 Year Old Drops out of School to Play Video Games

Posted by bratBgone 
These parunts are wonderfully supportive. Wish mine would have let me drop out to play Atari (that ages me, doesn't it?) all day when I was 16. Not!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/101746
Re: 16 Year Old Drops out of School to Play Video Games
September 08, 2008
Future welfare recipient in the making.
His family must be so proud of him.
In a just world, in 5 years when he applies for welfare, they will make him play Guitar Hero for it while he repeats out loud how stupid he is.
September 08, 2008
He wasn't doing well at school (why not?) and wasn't liked (boohoo; man up, kid).

On the one hand I think kids should follow their dreams, even if to others they seem like crazy ones.

On the other hand, it's dumb to drop out of high school. I doubt a GED (I take it that is what he will earn from his tutoring) will carry as much weight as a regular degree. Could his parents have compromised?--finish the last 2 years of h.s. and then you may either go to college (we'll help with tuition) or do as you wish (on your own dime, of course).
September 09, 2008
This is akin to dropping out of school to pursue Hollywood stardom, a pro sports career, to be a Nascar driver, a skateboard champion , or to become BatMan. In VERY RARE cases someone of his age will be "discovered" and Fortune 500 company sponsorships will follow. SO RARE in fact, that I can't think of a single example of this having happened, although I am sure there is a case or two out there. Winning some Chik-fila combos does NOT signal to me that he can earn a living doing this nonsense. At least it sounds like he is being home skooled, but I doubt it's consistent. What will likely happen is that he will be 30 years old and fill up an entire loveseat with his ample ass down in moomie's and duddy's basement. He will spend 20 hours a day playing computer games for fun and the occasional "prize" which might amount to a few free meals, possibly some gaming merchandise, and if he wins any cash it will be minimal.

This child sounds withdrawn and socially inept so even IF he finishes school via an online college, how will he function in society when he does nothing but sit at his computer all day long, day in and day out? This sounds like an addiction and his parents are the enablers.
Tonya Harding dropped out of high school to pursue figure skating, though she later did get a GED. I've wondered if knowledge of this (dropping out of school) was a factor in her inability to get the resources and corporate sponsorships that the likes of Nancy Kerrigan did before the leg-whacking incident.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that some employers look down upon a GED on the grounds that the applicant should have had the discipline and sense to finish high school as most manage to do. The schools are so dumbed down that there would seem to be little excuse not to stay to get the diploma.

Dropping out to play video games is one of the stupidest things I've heard about recently. Years ago a "Far Side" cartoon poked fun at pahrents who let their kyds play games all the time by showing a moo and duh smiling and looking at classified job ads as their youngun played. The ads had listings such as, "Can you rescue the princess? $100,000 a year if you can!", and so forth. Once again, reality surpasses satire.
I know a few people who got GEDS and you cant tell the difference between the GED and the "real" High school diploma, and i never herd of a instance where an employee checked that deeply into someone having a HS diploma
I'm sure he'll find a welfare govt whore to support him. Those dimwit placenta brains just need a dick around for future welfare bastards. Or whine factor when they won't get a job.
September 09, 2008
I guess at least he won't be knocking up any high school girls any time soon, or ever.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess at least he won't be knocking up any high
> school girls any time soon, or ever.

Don't be so sure about that. These high school whores sneak out at night.
September 11, 2008
Maybe he's training for the video game olympics.
September 11, 2008
two cents ΒΆΒΆ Wrote:
> Feh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I guess at least he won't be knocking up any
> high
> > school girls any time soon, or ever.
>
>
> Don't be so sure about that. These high school
> whores sneak out at night.

He won't have the drugs, or bling, to attract them, living in his parents basement with no skills and all. However, should one fall through the window or something, she'll probably find the perfect baby daddy, complete with gramaw babysitter!

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
There was a South Park episode where the kids were obsessed with Guitar Hero, and Cartman wanted to "turn pro" with it. Or was it Kyle?confused smiley Anyway, two of them actually reach the top level. The message the game gives them is "Congratulations! You are @#$%&!"

Not meaning to offend any gay people! But really,being great at a video game means one's life must be pretty pointless.tongue sticking out smiley
September 12, 2008
CJ Wrote:
> There was a South Park episode where the kids were
> obsessed with Guitar Hero, and Cartman wanted to
> "turn pro" with it. Or was it Kyle?confused smiley Anyway,
> two of them actually reach the top level. The
> message the game gives them is "Congratulations!
> You are @#$%&!"
>
> Not meaning to offend any gay people! But
> really,being great at a video game means one's
> life must be pretty pointless.tongue sticking out smiley

Then they had the episode where there was a cyber bully playing one of their RPG's and they had to band together and set up camp in Cartman's room for MONTHS to get to the highest level and kill the bully. They didn't sleep, or go outside, and Eric's mother kept them full of junk food and she even would come up there and slide a bedpan under Eric's ass so he wouldn't have to leave the game to go to the bathroom. After it was all over, the moral of the story is "what now?. They had lost track of why they were even obsessed with the game in the first place. While games are fun, they should be a hobby or past time, NOT a 24/7 obsession. I think this is an addiction disguised as a legitimate "career" in this boy's case.
Oh yeah, the "make love not warcraft" episode. It totally rocks precisely because it details obscession so well. And if you're a gamer you can see all the real-life stereotypes in there.
Games are great, of whichever variety, and they are fun, but that's all they are. A professional gamer? Give me a break, you sad git.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login