Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"The Diaper Divide"

Posted by writer44 
"The Diaper Divide"
March 11, 2016
From Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cecilia-munoz/the-diaper-divide_b_9423432.html

TLDR: Parents can't afford diapers and now it's the government's problem.

I have an idea. If you can't afford diapers, DONT BREED.
Re: "The Diaper Divide"
March 11, 2016
writer44
From Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cecilia-munoz/the-diaper-divide_b_9423432.html

When I express this in public, I'm met with the same eventual reply each and every time: "Are you saying only well off people should be able to have kids?"

YES. That's exactly what I'm saying. Breeding is not a right and you have no right to inflict the costs of it onto other people who don't have kids or are trying to provide for their own.
March 11, 2016
Those millions of tons of shitsacks every year are expensive, ecologically lousy in their manufacturing and clogging the landfills.

It would cost a parent about $300 for cloth diapers on a kid for all the diaper years, instead of about $2000 for disposables.

It does take parents some time and effort to cloth diaper, instead of treating the world as your waste dump.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/diapering-essentials/cloth-vs-disposables.aspx
March 11, 2016
This is ridiculous. What part of, "If you can't afford diapers, you can't afford a baybee" do people not understand? Kids are expensive. You have to feed, clothe and give them toys and school supplies when they get older.

It isn't a matter of only the rich being able to afford loaves, but if you can't even afford the basics, why even go there? ITA with cassia, that cloth diapers should always be the default, because our landfills are loaded with filled shitsacks. My sister used cloth diapers on all three of her loaves, and they all came out fine. It was a little extra work, but she managed.

Poor breeders piss me off. My moo raised me in poverty and I had to go to school wearing homemade clothes, and the kids made fun of me because of it. It was hell being raised in a poor household, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Breeders are so fucking selfish. They only think of their immediate wants and needs, and don't consider the human life they are creating.
March 11, 2016
Why the fuck can't they use cloth diapers? Zero shits given about the diaper problem. EVERYTHING is focused on helping families, rather than helping everyone, and I just don't give a shit about helping kids or their parental units.

Lurking breeders: don't have kids you can't afford.

Evan Davis
March 11, 2016
cassia
Those millions of tons of shitsacks every year are expensive, ecologically lousy in their manufacturing and clogging the landfills.

It would cost a parent about $300 for cloth diapers on a kid for all the diaper years, instead of about $2000 for disposables.

It does take parents some time and effort to cloth diaper, instead of treating the world as your waste dump.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/diapering-essentials/cloth-vs-disposables.aspx

And if all kids wore cloth diapers, moos would have an incentive to potty train when the kid reached the age of mobility. They don't potty train them now because all they have to do is throw away a disposable diaper. Why bother?
March 11, 2016
skyeyes

And if all kids wore cloth diapers, moos would have an incentive to potty train when the kid reached the age of mobility. They don't potty train them now because all they have to do is throw away a disposable diaper. Why bother?

Oh, but the problem is that once the kids have disposable diapers, it's hard to train them, they want paper! That's what a day care worker told me.

Meanwhile, why don't the churches that want people to have family help out with this? A church could provide diapers, cloth diapers, a place with washers and dryers, and wipes and other baby things. It's the religions, after all, who want more bums in pews that come from having kids.
March 11, 2016
pitbullgirl1965
Why the fuck can't they use cloth diapers? Zero shits given about the diaper problem. EVERYTHING is focused on helping families, rather than helping everyone, and I just don't give a shit about helping kids or their parental units.

Lurking breeders: don't have kids you can't afford.

Don't you know that part of being a breeder is how much you can destroy the environment? A washer, dryer, and cloth diapers doesn't do enough. Many breeders like to brag about how much garbage they put out (It has happened in my neighborhood) and there's nothing to brag about with the cloth diapers.

Besides, they can't then whine to Ellen Pompeo about "diaper need".
March 12, 2016
StudioFiftyFour

When I express this in public, I'm met with the same eventual reply each and every time: "Are you saying only well off people should be able to have kids?"

YES. That's exactly what I'm saying. Breeding is not a right and you have no right to inflict the costs of it onto other people who don't have kids or are trying to provide for their own.

Absofuckinglutely!! Children don't deserve to be poor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't feed your baby, then don't have a baby. And don't think maybe, if you can't feed your baby."
- The wisdom of the late Michael Jackson
"The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children." - Paul Ehrlich
March 12, 2016
jmc
StudioFiftyFour

I agree. A baby or little kid knows if it is hungry and not being fed. And kids always know if they are poor or not.
March 12, 2016
jmc
StudioFiftyFour

Do you mind if I borrow this answer to use in the future?
March 12, 2016
freya

I agree. A baby or little kid knows if it is hungry and not being fed. And kids always know if they are poor or not.

The irony is that the parents typically look back on their childrearing years and say, "Well we were poor, but everyone was poor. So it didn't matter."

In other words, they are comfortable using an outright fallacy to justify their bad decisions. Everyone wasn't poor. Everyone isn't poor. It's a complete fabrication.

And this fabrication is used to justify further breeding, ie., "When we had you, things weren't great for us but we did ok... so you'll do ok too!" eye rolling smiley

How ridiculous.
March 12, 2016
@ mumofsixbirds: "It was hell being raised in a poor household, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone."
@ freya: "A baby or little kid knows if it is hungry and not being fed. And kids always know if they are poor or not."

So true!
The arguments like "we were poor but we were happy" drive me crazy.
March 12, 2016
People act like it's impossible to wait until you're in a good financial position to have kids. No, it's not. My parents waited. My mom refused to even marry my dad until she had her Ph.D in hand. Because my parents waited, they were able to raise my sister and I in an upper middle-class lifestyle. We never went hungry, had a stable and safe roof over our heads, weather-appropriate clothing that fit, got a proper education, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
March 12, 2016
coco uk
jmc
StudioFiftyFour

Do you mind if I borrow this answer to use in the future?

Not at all, go right ahead! And the look on breeders faces after you say it and those assholes realize that they've been called out for being selfish is AWESOME!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't feed your baby, then don't have a baby. And don't think maybe, if you can't feed your baby."
- The wisdom of the late Michael Jackson
"The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children." - Paul Ehrlich
March 12, 2016
I have a friend who gave me the absolute best reasons for having kids and some of the best reasons for not having them that I've ever heard. One of her reasons for not having them was that she was single, and during her "prime child bearing years" (not her words, btw, just mine) she didn't have a great job. She didn't think it would be fair to children to be raised in less than comfortably affluent conditions. And she really, really wanted them. She was just way too smart to go ahead and have them.
March 12, 2016
StudioFiftyFour
writer44

This brings up the very heart of the problem: having and raising children is treated as a right. I do not object to helping others who've fallen on hard times; that can happen to anyone. BUT...if you cannot managed to foot the basics, you are not in a position to have kids and need to wait until things get better. While you're working on improving your cash flow, work on improving your relationship, life, hobbies, etc because it's entirely possible that you won't ever be able to afford kids. And that's okay. We have seven billion people on the planet; we're not gonna die out anytime soon (or if we do, it'll be because there's toofuckingmany of us).
March 17, 2016
I recently went to the beach with Mr. Exiles father, his new lady, her son, daughter and grand child. In the space of 30 minutes, I saw 4 diaper changes. This was disposable diapers, oh the kid had a swim, change, kid got some sand around the waist band, change, kid got it's knees splashed with water, change, whoops didn't put it on right, toss unused fresh one in the bin pile, change again.

I'd hate to know how many it go's through playing in mud, let alone an average days quantity.
March 17, 2016
It's a huge number, disposable diapers make up 5% of all landfill waste, a lot for a single product. When I worked at the service plaza, there were containers for dog waste with the bags they provided. Often, the containers were at least halfway full with Pampers. Sometimes I wonder if there is a contest among parents to see how many Huggies they can go through and how many they have to bring with them. Of course, parents don't have to worry about how many they use if there is a scheme like this to make sure other people without the kids pay for them.
March 17, 2016
I like how the article reads as though parents are somehow shocked at the fact that their loaves piss and shit themselves for anywhere between one and five years. With lots of excrement comes the need for lots of rags with which to (attempt to) contain said excrement. How precisely is it anyone's problem but that of the parents if they're so poor that they have to choose between putting a disposable shit rag on their brats or paying the bills? They chose to have the kid - it's not like it was mandatory for them to reproduce, especially at such a time in their lives when they're too broke to afford the basics.

And of course none of these broke-ass mommies and daddies wants to even consider the possibility of cloth diapers because those require actual effort to clean and apply, not to mention more frequent changes each day. Modern disposable diapers can boast things like "12-hour protection" and "gentle comfort," meaning that kids can not only feel totally comfortable in their own filth, they can do so for half a day. Parents leap right to these kinds of diapers because they not only reduce the need to have to bother changing the loaf, but keep the loaf from screaming due to being wet.

Fine, I can support free diapers for poor people, but only under the condition that people who can't afford diapers are only allowed to have cloth ones. You need someone else's help to raise your fuckin' kid, you're gonna put in some goddamn effort. Or instead of giving ungrateful breeders free shit, why not hold classes to teach parents how to make cloth diapers (or affordable places to buy them), how to clean said cloth diapers and how to maximize their use to keep them for as long as possible? I get that cloth diapers aren't something most parents these days use, so they'd need to be shown how. Or why don't these poor breeders use that elimination communication horse shit they're so fond of? That doesn't require diapers - it just requires Moo to follow around on Junior's heels with a Tupperware container while studying the loaf's face constantly for "cues" that he has to piss/shit and hoping some of that waste makes it into the toilet, sink or Tupperware container.
March 18, 2016
Cambion
Modern disposable diapers can boast things like "12-hour protection" and "gentle comfort," meaning that kids can not only feel totally comfortable in their own filth, they can do so for half a day. Parents leap right to these kinds of diapers because they not only reduce the need to have to bother changing the loaf, but keep the loaf from screaming due to being wet.

You weren't kidding! They make 12 hour diapers which allow baybeez to sit around in their filth for 12 hours. Did an online search. One person was complaining that the 12 hour diaper wasn't up to the overnight challenge and they were going to have to fork up the extra bucks for the overnight diaper. Guessing this one didn't make the connection between lil' resource suckers = expensive!

Guess this is why they expect to put baybeez to sleep and whine to the manufacturer when the diaper, baybee and bed is soiled 12 hours later. The concept of changing the baybee every 4? 6? 8? hours as a preventative measure never occurs to them. They can't connect the dots as to why it is a bad idea to have lil' resource suckers they can't afford. The proactive, preventative gene seems to be missing.
March 18, 2016
Cambion
Fine, I can support free diapers for poor people, but only under the condition that people who can't afford diapers are only allowed to have cloth ones.

I'd be with you, except that I recall reading that many poor people in the US don't have access to private laundry facilities, which means they'd be washing these things in a laundromat. That is not very pleasant for the other people who have to make use of public facilities....

I find it strange that although there's an increasing move toward reusable female menustral products for environmental and cost reasons, you never hear people talking about cloth diapers as a solution to the expense and waste of disposables.
March 18, 2016
yurble
Cambion
Fine, I can support free diapers for poor people, but only under the condition that people who can't afford diapers are only allowed to have cloth ones.

I'd be with you, except that I recall reading that many poor people in the US don't have access to private laundry facilities, which means they'd be washing these things in a laundromat. That is not very pleasant for the other people who have to make use of public facilities....

I find it strange that although there's an increasing move toward reusable female menustral products for environmental and cost reasons, you never hear people talking about cloth diapers as a solution to the expense and waste of disposables.

Because a woman having her period is an evil, vile thing. If she were pregnant like she should be she wouldn't need such a thing. Or so go the ones screaming about this.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
March 28, 2016
Honestly I know my friends/family will all breed, heck some are currently in pig. Frankly if they say they'll use cloth diapers, I would probably buy them a years supply. In saying that, they'll probably never get anything else useful out of me, for the rest of the child's life. If they chose disposables, thats their cost.

addiea raine
Because a woman having her period is an evil, vile thing. If she were pregnant like she should be she wouldn't need such a thing. Or so go the ones screaming about this.

You know thats true. Last time I went to get a BC script refill, the doctor told me I should be reguarlly skipping the period row, two months at a time, then have a period in the third. Spouting some statistics about how women didn't need 12 periods a year, saying the average woman my age is pregnant for 9/12 months a year; how having less periods would decrease costs and increase the life span of my fertility.

I said "if it increases my fertility window, I wont be skipping any now, want to get that out of the way sooner than later. I like the friendly reminder each month that Im not pregnant, even if it means having to waste money on pads." he said "you can be pregnant and still have a period." I said "true, but if my period is in any way different to normal, I'll get a pregnancy test and likely catch it before its too late to abort." The doctor shut up and handed me my script.
March 28, 2016
exile
You know thats true. Last time I went to get a BC script refill, the doctor told me I should be reguarlly skipping the period row, two months at a time, then have a period in the third. Spouting some statistics about how women didn't need 12 periods a year, saying the average woman my age is pregnant for 9/12 months a year; how having less periods would decrease costs and increase the life span of my fertility.

That's a bad way to sell it. Not having to deal with the hassle of your periods is a compelling argument, but preserving fertility is not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login