Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Why Sue Klebold's book absolutely terrifies parents like me"

Posted by Miss_Hannigan 
"Why Sue Klebold's book absolutely terrifies parents like me"
December 22, 2016
http://m.blogher.com/mothers-reckoning-sue-klebold-compelling-read-and-terrifying-because-she-parents-just-me-0?from=bhspinner

You see, the Columbine shooter was just depressed, and even after his killing spree his mama still loves her baby boy. He was just soooo saaaaaad.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Re: "Why Sue Klebold's book absolutely terrifies parents like me"
December 24, 2016
FU Sue with a spiny cactus. Her son wasn't depressed, he was a psychopathic murderer. He made the decision to hunt down and slaughter many innocent people, including the intention of setting off pipe bombs for maximum impact.

Depression doesn't prevent a person from making right or wrong decisions, and certainly doesn't interfere with an obvious pre-planned mass shooting. This is the same for mental illness in general, and it makes my blood boil when obvious criminals pull the mental illness card.

Nope Sue - no sympathy from me, and try telling that to the victim's families, without getting your teeth knocked out at the very least.
December 25, 2016
as I understand it, sonny boy was a fucking bully.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 25, 2016
twocents
as I understand it, sonny boy was a fucking bully.

Dunno about that, as I heard that he was bullied. He did have an history of antisocial behaviour, and sounds like he fell in with the wrong crowd. Either way it doesn't excuse them for slaughtering innocents in a mass murder rampage.

So if there is a hell in an afterlife, sonnyboy would certainly be in it, and Moo needs multiple reality slaps to understand this.
I may be in the minority here, but I kinda admire her for speaking out and reaching out to victims' families the way she has. Ya don't see Eric Harris's cowardly parents showing their faces anywhere. I can only imagine what kind of hatred this woman endured because of the actions of her psychotic son. (Some of which HAD to be due to parenting, but he also had a father that was equally responsible).

I've seen several interviews and she seems genuinely disgusted by his actions, even claiming that she hated him at one point. I don't know what more she can do at this point to atone for his fucked up actions.
December 31, 2016
What it does do, however, is normalize the idea that parents can be "unlucky". It's only unlucky insofar as people don't look at the odds and always think bad things happen to other people. People ought to realize that life is a crapshoot. When you breed, you're more likely to get a murderer than a genius. Many people are going to spend their entire lives suffering physically and/or mentally.
December 31, 2016
Trance Formation USA said, "Ya don't see Eric Harris's cowardly parents showing their faces anywhere."

That's a good thing. The Rocky Mountain News reported in the wake of Columbine that Eric's father, who had been in the military, supposedly had shown Eric how to build bombs (or where to get information to do so) like those found at the high school that failed to detonate. Harris and Klebold had successfully built and detonated bombs before the attack on the high school. The father's "rationale" for giving his son access to the info was that knowing how to make them would somehow help Eric get into the Marines. Last I heard, none of the armed services asks prospective recruits about their ability to make improvised munitions. And the Marines rejected Eric just before the shootings after his parents informed the service about his use of psychiatric drugs.

No, Harris's parents damned well should keep their mouths shut.
December 31, 2016
yurble
What it does do, however, is normalize the idea that parents can be "unlucky". It's only unlucky insofar as people don't look at the odds and always think bad things happen to other people. People ought to realize that life is a crapshoot. When you breed, you're more likely to get a murderer than a genius. Many people are going to spend their entire lives suffering physically and/or mentally.

Exactly Yurble, and it also removes the responsibility off the parents, in saying that their kids were a bad egg from the start, and nothing could change what they eventually did. bull shitting

You'll find that unless the parent was a complete retard or a basket-case themselves, that they knew very well that their kid was majorly damaged and dangerous. Apart from very complex and rare cases, no person who's committed a mass murder is going have an angelic life - there is an ever increasing pattern of antisocial behaviour leading up to it, as evidenced by these two. Their Parents know this, but choose to do little or nothing to curb the behaviour - and some even encourage it, like Harris demented father did. Sorry, but if you see your kid leading to this, and don't do everything in your power to prevent it, you're just as guilty as your defected DNA that committed the atrocities.

In the case of Sue's 'atonement', well that remains to be seen. I'm highly skeptical she is doing it purely for the atonement, but rather trying weasel out of the ever present label of being the mother of an innocent kid slaughterer. Atonement strikes me as a purely selfish act, where it's more for the benefit of the perpetrator than the victims. Sue may truly be trying to atone, but has she thought of this action on her son's families of the victims? Not only do they have to deal with their kid's horrendous death, but then have it reminded again, by the blatant attention seeking of the perpetrator's mother. Writing a book about one of the perpetrators and his past actions leading up to the incident, and her supposed suffering post, strikes me as more of attention seeking and cash grab, than it does as supposed atonement. If it is a pathetic attempt to get some of the heat taken off, or blatant sympathy-whoring - then I stand by my original post of screwing her with a spiny cactus.

Furthermore, from what I read about the book, it seem that it's downplaying the kid's murderous impulses to simply a mental health issue. Sorry, not buying it. There are plenty of teens who go through severe depression and don't end up committing acts of per-meditated mass murder. Depression doesn't interfere with knowing the difference between right and wrong. Nope, not buying it.
January 01, 2017
By contrast this article talks about how Japanese parents apologize for their adult children's actions.
January 01, 2017
kman
The Rocky Mountain News reported in the wake of Columbine that Eric's father, who had been in the military, supposedly had shown Eric how to build bombs (or where to get information to do so) like those found at the high school that failed to detonate. Harris and Klebold had successfully built and detonated bombs before the attack on the high school. The father's "rationale" for giving his son access to the info was that knowing how to make them would somehow help Eric get into the Marines..

I didnt know that detail; christ, what an asshole! He's just like the Sandy Hook moo who gave her spawn access to guns.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
January 22, 2017
trance formation usa
I may be in the minority here, but I kinda admire her for speaking out and reaching out to victims' families the way she has. Ya don't see Eric Harris's cowardly parents showing their faces anywhere. I can only imagine what kind of hatred this woman endured because of the actions of her psychotic son. (Some of which HAD to be due to parenting, but he also had a father that was equally responsible).

I've seen several interviews and she seems genuinely disgusted by his actions, even claiming that she hated him at one point. I don't know what more she can do at this point to atone for his fucked up actions.

What can she do? Shut up and disappear would be a couple of good ideas for a start.
I'd always heard "the boys" (Dylan and Eric McMurderson) were bullied in school, when in actuality they did much of the bullying themselves, referring to freshmen as fags* and the like. They were not involved with the "Trenchcoat Mafia" gang (which was not really a gang) as repeatedly told by the media, and Marilyn Manson did not drive them to kill (duh).

My point? The media is unreliable and stories are usually more complex than they appear. Sue seems like a genuine person, if a little detached. It sounds like the victims' parents have mostly forgiven her for any role she may have had in the killings. I get the vibe that she was one of those religious, stern parents who demanded a lot from Dylan and didn't allow for a lot of emotional expression in the home...she was good at turning a blind eye to problems that might've been embarrassing or shameful to the family.

Still, I respect her more than Eric's cowardly parents who are still hiding somewhere, afraid to take responsibility for their role in their demon spawn's actions. No apology, no nothing. I'm glad she's speaking out, if only to highlight the importance of being involved in your kid's damn life. Too many parents of teens have no clue what their little monsters are really up to and would flip out if they did.

*Source: Columbine Myths
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login