The Vocational Future of Today's Sproglets
January 15, 2017
We've talked about the future of automation and what that means for the future of babies and children of today. Here's a study that goes into this in-depth. If you don't want to read the whole thing, skip to page 57 for the list in ascending order of jobs most likely to become automated. A lot of the ones least likely to be automated require postgraduate degrees, e.g., a Ph.D., which will be an additional $250K+ on top of the $100K+ the bachelor's degree will cost (talking about the USA here) and that's if college costs today stay stagnant, which we all know they won't.

But thinking about a child's future really gets in the way of, "BUT I WANT A BABY NOW!"

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
Re: The Vocational Future of Today's Sproglets
January 16, 2017
There has never been a worse time to breed. We've got more people than ever before, and more and more jobs are going to be made redundant by machines that can do them far better than any human could and without pay. There are already not enough jobs to go around and jobs are going to become more and more scarce. So what exactly are all the precious sproggen going to do to survive when they can't get jobs? I mean, I already know the answer to that: they'll breed like rabbits and go on the dole, either because they're stupid or it might wind up being the only way to get by since nobody gives a shit about unchilded people.

Seems like the jobs that'll be first on the chopping block are all entry-level type things that require no experience: technicians, clerks, telemarketers, cashiers, etc. I suppose there will be some new jobs in demand for people to repair these machines when they inevitably break, but how many repairmen do you really need? Also, why does that list not put things in order from most likely to be replaced with machines to least likely? I know robots can be of tremendous use in medical situations, but I don't think they'll ever fully replace doctors.

But parents don't give enough of a shit to think what will become of their kids in 50 years. All they know is they want their own way right now, meaning they want baybees to coo over so they can pretend like they've done something meaningful with their lives. Why should they have to worry about their kids' adult futures? They'll be dead when all this shit happens. I'm sure there will be some bleeding heart employers out there who want to preserve traditional hard work and will refuse to use machines to replace human employees, but that means their products will cost much more and no one will buy their shit as a result.

I think most people are going to have no choice but to be on welfare. There just plain won't be enough jobs for everyone. This means more money taken from the paychecks of people whose jobs still exist, which means even highly-paid people may still be dirt poor.
January 17, 2017
Well there is the talk of a Universal Basic Income everyone would receive because all the jobs will be done by robots. What I don't get is that automation is not new at all, it has been around since at least the 1950s. For example, if you go to Disney World the only time you actually deal with people at all is to buy food. It's all rides and animatronics, and the animatronics were Walt's idea. So I guess you can thank Walt for the jobs people won't have.
January 18, 2017
mr. neptune
Well there is the talk of a Universal Basic Income everyone would receive because all the jobs will be done by robots. What I don't get is that automation is not new at all, it has been around since at least the 1950s. For example, if you go to Disney World the only time you actually deal with people at all is to buy food. It's all rides and animatronics, and the animatronics were Walt's idea. So I guess you can thank Walt for the jobs people won't have.

There are employees all over the Disney parks, and hundreds or thousands of people behind the scenes doing things like maintaining the animatronics and the parks themselves...there will still be jobs when things are automated, they'll just be in different fields (engineering, programming, maintenance, etc.). So yeah, the "desirable" jobs will have expensive degrees attached to them, while the "undesirable" ones (maintenance, repair, etc.) are considered too blue collar for today's precious sproglets.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login