Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sperm washing so the HIV positive can have baybees

Posted by cfdavep 
Sperm washing so the HIV positive can have baybees
June 06, 2017
http://elitedaily.com/dating/sex/sperm-washing-pregnant-hiv-positive/1963028/

I guess this new technology allows men who are HIV positive to have their sperm "washed" before implantation via IVF. I guess so their kid can watch them die of the disease. I don't know if people now a days are usually living to ripe old age with HIV, but once again it seems self-centered.
Re: Sperm washing so the HIV positive can have baybees
June 06, 2017
Another situation where it is so obvious that if the same parameters were applied to breeding as to adoption, it would never be allowed. An adoption agency would not allow a terminally ill person to adopt.

You have a FATAL disease. Think about the rights of the potential child, not your fucking selfish needs.
June 06, 2017
So money was diverted from actually finding a cure or better medication for HIV to "sperm washing" experiments so the HIV+ can breed. That's some sound logic there.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
June 06, 2017
From what I understand, with expensive medication, you can have a relatively average life span with HIV (though you're still fucked if it's full-blown AIDS), but I could be mistaken. Also, just how common is HIV among the straight male population? I know anybody of any gender can most certainly contract it, but from what I know, HIV is most common among the gay male community, transgender women and sex workers of either gender. It seems like this sperm washing bullshit would target a very tiny fragment of the population, unless you have a lot of gay men wanting to have biological kids with surrogates.

After having been washed, the researchers say they found that the separated sperm was a whopping 92 to 99 percent HIV-free.

Well, some older studies have shown sperm washing to have literally no risk of HIV transmission.

These figures don't seem to match up. "Literally no risk" is not the same as a 1%-8% risk or sperm retaining 1%-8% of HIV.

That all being said, if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, sperm washing is a pretty solid development in the sexual health world that’s providing HIV-positive people with safer options they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

If you're HIV-positive, you don't need any fucking kids. You need to take care of yourself. If there's anybody who shouldn't be getting help conceiving children, it's people with (potentially) fatal illnesses. Next, I'm sure somebody will devote millions of dollars to research to invent chemotherapy that's safe to use during pregnancy.
June 06, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
So money was diverted from actually finding a cure or better medication for HIV to "sperm washing" experiments so the HIV+ can breed. That's some sound logic there.

This is a waste of science being funded by (who knows how many millions if not billions of) dollars that could be used to cure something or create something or discover something beneficial to humanity. Let's put aside inoculation trials or push back that mission to Mars another couple years; it doesn't matter so long as we keep figuring out novel ways to breed!
June 07, 2017
/off topic

Hiv has now been downgraded to 'chronic disease' status, which still means that lifespan is extended, however still radically shortened - like all chronic diseases. Hiv+ peoples don't die within 5-7 years of AIDS, but rather die of secondary illnesses that resort from long term chronic disease status - which is a couple of decades. Basically, the anti-retroviral medications along with a persistent virus in the system, tends to completely knack various organs and systems prematurely, so they usually succumb to rather nasty systemic breakdowns and systemic infections.

This is all dependent again on the effectiveness of the anti-retroviral medications, where there have been reported outbreaks of Truvada resistant Hiv, due to poor adherence and very unsafe sexual practices (Truvada parties etc).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login