Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leave early

Posted by annie35 
Leave early
September 23, 2008
Thanks to the breeders in my office, we get to leave early on Halloween.
The big boss who works in NYC, sent an email to me and told me we can leave at noon on Halloween,so the parents can take their kids out during daylight to trick-or-treat.
Re: Leave early
September 23, 2008
Oh wow, breeders are good for something! If nothing other than once a year. At least they let EVERYONE go home early, not just those with brats. That's nice of him. I doubt my place of employment will be as generous, not on Halloween, anyway.
September 23, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh wow, breeders are good for something! If
> nothing other than once a year. At least they let
> EVERYONE go home early, not just those with brats.
> That's nice of him. I doubt my place of
> employment will be as generous, not on Halloween,
> anyway.

Last year they said only those with kids could leave early, I casually made mention of my lawyer friend who at the time was working on a case of childfee harassment and unfair practices in the workplace. My boss changed the directive to include the whole office. I would have left anyway.
September 23, 2008
aaaawwwwwwwwww. eye rolling smiley When I worked for a bank they would close the doors at noon on Christmas Eve day so everyone could "get ready for Santa Claus". I am all "for" businesses closing early or letting their employees go early for a holiday, regardless of the reason, but I STILL RESENT that they ALWAYS do it "for the kyds". I have also worked in places that were open at or during the holidays and the only concession made for employees was for the CHILDED ones. A cursory glance at the holiday work schedule and you could easily see who had kyds and who didn't. If I were to highlight the employees who were "off" on the holiday in yellow, and the ones who were scheduled to work in purple, the whole schedule board would look like one big fucking ray of sunshine.angry smiley
September 23, 2008
And I love how the people with kids think they have a right to the "good" days off as opposed to those of us without kids. THEY want Christmas Eve off, the day after Christmas, and on and on. Yes, it's aaaaaallll about you breeders, none of us other folks have any reason to want to take off, we have no family or friends, don't you know........
CFinPDX
September 23, 2008
You can be sure that all of the breeders in my office will be leaving early on Halloween if they even bother to show up at all.

I tend to say late for two reasons: Halloween is the end of our fiscal year and since I'm the accountant it all falls on me. Secondly, I stay late so I don't have to pass out candy to a bunch of frigging brats at home.
Anonymous User
September 23, 2008
How boring...trick-or-treating in daylight. It's way more fun and "spooky" at night! This is one of the few things that I feel sorry for today's kids about...their parents have really taken the fun out of certain things.
Anonymous User
September 23, 2008
What's up with the Trick or Treating during daylight? That's pretty lame. I always went out at night when I was a kid and have lived to adulthood. Childhood is so santized now days.
September 23, 2008
CFinPDX Wrote:
> I don't have to pass out candy to a bunch
> of frigging brats at home.

See, THIS is why your boss is REALLY letting the CF leave early too: it's not about your rights, it's still all about the kyyyyyyyds!

You're supposed to be happy to spend your free time and hard-earned money stuffing your neighborhood's sprogs full of candeeeee!
September 23, 2008
My DH likes to make a campfire in the driveway and give out candy. I make him get something I like in case we have a lot left over. I don't know if he will do it this year because we don't have the fire-pit thing anymore. That way, people don't ring our bell.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
September 23, 2008
For anyone forced to work later than breeders on any holiday, please check annie35's response, above. It is discrimination pure and simple and likely is illegal. Don't swallow it! Speaking as someone who more than once had to cover for the trailer trash breeder who worked at my workplace.

I plan to lock the fence (ooh, glorious fence) on Halloween, turn out the lights, and eat all the candy with my DH. No brats in arms at the door, no teens scamming candy, no tiresome adults, no lame daylight trick-or-treating. If they want a Halloween scare, they can try broaching my fenceline.
September 23, 2008
I live WAY WAY out in the wilderness and off the beaten path which can not be seen from the road. So, no trick or treaters here. I "served my sentence" already by living in suburbia in a subdivision for TEN years. Not only did all the neighborhood kyds bang on the door and press the doorbell 45 times before I could open the door between 6-8, THEN I got the older ghetto kyds between 8-10pm. They would pile into a van and moomie would haul them all over town and they didn't even bother to dress out and had pillow cases as bags and NO thankyous either.

Since there are some nephews and cousin kyds up on this mountain, and my first Halloween when I heard comments like, "We will stop by aunt kim's and uncle mike's on our way home from trunk or treat", I had to come up with a plan. For some unknown reason, kyds LOVE my house. They want to run all over the fucking place and up and down the stairs, pick up all of the cats outside who do NOT want to be picked up (there are 21 of them) and then they want to pick up the INSIDER cats who never see anyone but us. They want to look in the fridge and wander around in my room, play with the satellite remote, get on my computer, etc.... There are so damned many of them and they are so fast, it's like the opening of the gates for the horses at Churchhill Downs on Derby Day, and I am the rabbit. No thanks, their initial visit when I first moved in was QUITE enough.

So, to stave off the intruders, I make up colorful little goodie bags filled with ALL kinds of shit and take it TO them, the day before. I always make a few extra in case one shows up I hadn't thought about, since there are so many 2nd, 3rd, etc.....kiddie cousins. I can be the "nice aunt kim" and keep my privacy and sanity at the same time.
September 24, 2008
Next, parunts would probably keep kyds indoors all Halloween long, dressing them like Biblical characters and passing out little Bible books in place of treats before sending them straight to bed at 4pm!eye rolling smiley
Ann
September 24, 2008
You know, much as I love Halloween, I'm not going to be giving out candy this year. I've lived in the same subdivision for going on six years, and every year I do hand out candy we get very few kids during the designated trick-or-treat hours (basically from 4 to 8), then just as I'm putting the candy away/turning out the porch lights, the teenagers and ghetto trash from one town over come over in droves and don't go away until after 11. Most of the communities in my area have sanitized Halloween parties to keep the kiddies full of candy, either at a health club/YMCA or church. So, it's not like they need to beg door to door to get their sugar fix anyway.
CF Uter
September 24, 2008
was Halloween just invented?

were kyds and parenting just invented?

HOW did the work place survive w/o going home early for everything in the last 40-50+ years?

At least, everyone gets off by you, only parunts fanangle the day off here.
Anonymous User
September 24, 2008
little-known fact: halloween was NEVER all about kids, historically. in europe and the americas, it started out mostly as "trick or treat" in a literal sense. poor/homeless folks would beg for food or money in preparation for the coming cold months, when many poor people suffered and died of starvation. if you didn't "shell out," you would be subject to being tricked - by a group of grown, disadvantaged adults. and the tricks would be like - they'd turn over your apple cart, steal your food, or even set your barn on fire. it was a night of thuggery and for punishing "rogue" members of society.

so when people tell you halloween is "for the kids," tell them to fuck off!

source: rogers, nicholas. "halloween: from pagan ritual to party night" which examines halloween and its evolution in a historical context. and btw... it's so awesome to have plenty of free time to peruse the sociology section at the library and then actually have time to read and learn from the books... couldn't do that if i was saddled with sprogs wink
deegee
September 24, 2008
I live in an apartment building which has mostly elderly people, so trick-or-treaters are pretty rare. I have not have had any for at least 10 years, and I have been around during the day more often after I stopped working full-time.

That being said, I make sure to buy snacks I happen to like in case I am left with most or all of them. These include those snack-pack bags of potato chips and cheetos. Whatever remains a month later I take with me when my dad, my ladyfriend, and I drive to my brother's place 200 miles away.

Only one year did I actively avoid trick-or-treaters. It was about a week after my mother died years ago, and I was having a bad day. I saw some trick-or-treaters down the hall when I got home from work so I went back out and to the local library for a while. I probably did not have anything to give out anyway, as that was not really on my mind after my terribly sad event.

I was pretty amazed that the OP's boss actually had the gall to tell the childed workers that only they could leave early while the CF ones could not. I am glad that "policy" was quickly withdrawn.
September 24, 2008
Ann Wrote:
> You know, much as I love Halloween, I'm not going
> to be giving out candy this year. I've lived in
> the same subdivision for going on six years, and
> every year I do hand out candy we get very few
> kids during the designated trick-or-treat hours
> (basically from 4 to 8), then just as I'm putting
> the candy away/turning out the porch lights, the
> teenagers and ghetto trash from one town over come
> over in droves and don't go away until after 11.
> Most of the communities in my area have sanitized
> Halloween parties to keep the kiddies full of
> candy, either at a health club/YMCA or church.
> So, it's not like they need to beg door to door to
> get their sugar fix anyway.

I don't even want to do it this year. and i'm sick of the no-costume at 10 p.m. crowd. One year I had 2 sets of kids come into the house- the 2nd was teenagers who took the whole bucket, which was shaped like a skull. I used to love that holiday and now I hate it.
September 24, 2008
We've done trick-or-treat in the past, it is kinda fun because all the stupid mommies get to come and tell me how wonderful our house looks (yea, no kids to fuck it up).

This year, trick or treat falls ON Halloween and we're going to our annual Samhain circle for the ritual and the covered dish shin-dig afterward.
September 24, 2008
I do Halloween with a home owning friend who lives in a hippy community that the older kids seem to avoid...or maybe not, I leave at the end of "official" trick or treat hours. I really like helping her decorate, because Halloween has the best decorations, but more than that...I LOVE scaring children, and this is the only time of the year it's appropriate to do that. I think one of my favorite things in the world, in regards to children, is to see them screaming and running away from me.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
September 24, 2008
I love Halloween, but I don't bother with the trick-or-treaters either. We have a problem with the getto crowd here, too.

One of the things I like about trick-or-treating is the ice time! I'm a figure skater and usually have to share the ice time with the kids. BUT, on trick-or-treat night the last ice slot is usually EMPTY. Two years in a row I have had the ice completely to myself, which is totally unheard of. It's an adult skater's heaven smiling smiley
September 24, 2008
Around here in bible belt fundie city, they NEVER do Halloween on the actual day of because they think it's a sinful holiday. They generally do it a day or two before and hold those "trunk or treat" things in their church parking lots. I live too far out for them, but a lot of people tell me than other than a few neighbors and friends and famblee, no kyds actually go door to door through the neighborhoods anymore. Mainly they think it's "safer" and they feel better dressing their kyds up like Jesus, Moses, and Mary and passing out candy at church and pretend it's a Christian holiday, since they don't celebrate it on the 31st.

They make up lies about how the Christmas tree, Christmas lights, Santa Claus, and presents are derived from Christianity as well. Now, where they came up with the Easter Bunny and hiding colored eggs as having anything to do with Easter is beyond me, although I have heard a few different and implausible excuses. I don't know WHY they can't just have some fun without trying to make it into a Christian celebration or tradition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login