Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Helicopter parenting messes kids up

Posted by yurble 
Helicopter parenting messes kids up
June 19, 2018
Such a shocker. Children with controlling parents struggle with their impulses and emotions later in life.

“The problem here really is that if you don’t learn skills to self-regulate, how can you self-regulate when you leave the home, like [when] you go to school or you go to university? In a way it is a form of abusiveness – taking this opportunity away from children,” he said, although he noted over-controlling parenting was usually done with the best of intentions.

Of course you can't say something like that without a breeder apologist:

Goodall added parents should not be made to feel guilty or judged: “What is really important is that [parents] care about their children, and what their children are doing and what their children are learning.”
Re: Helicopter parenting messes kids up
June 19, 2018
yurble

Of course you can't say something like that without a breeder apologist:

Goodall added parents should not be made to feel guilty or judged: “What is really important is that [parents] care about their children, and what their children are doing and what their children are learning.”

And once they hope the helicopter lands when their kids hit adulthood they will realize the helicopter will never land. They've raised kids that now have adult bodies with the mindset of a child and they will continue to have to figure out how to get gas to the darn helicopter until they die.

For years (18 until at least 30) my sibling would call my parents and talk about all her problems for hours each day. She was helicoptered and had no idea how to deal with basic reality. She wasn't capable of studying on her own, for instance. And since she was never limited on activities she doesn't know how to limit her kids on activities.
And I've heard lots of stories of grown adult women who call either their parents or husband all the time, several times a day....about....absolutely....everything.

The stupid movies always make a big deal out of parents attending all their kid's practices, rehearsals, performances, games, etc. but it really is fine if parents want to limit or mostly eliminate this practice. The kid won't be scarred for life and won't grow up expecting the grandparents to always attend all of their grand kids events. Seriously, just go the the final performance/game for an activity each year and call it good.
Re: Helicopter parenting messes kids up
June 25, 2018
My mother didn't always attend my functions at school, but that was alright. I only needed her when I was in the ER, which was fairly frequent for some reason. I was always catching bronchitis. Strep was also a persistent 'friend'.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login