Childfreedom is unselfish
July 14, 2018
This is a bit older, but I hadn't read it before. It's an article by a CF Indian woman who made her choice in part due to overpopulation.

One refrain childfree people often hear is: People who don't have kids are "selfish, shallow and self-absorbed" (Read the book with the same title): Really? One reason I took this path - and there are others; more personal, and not for public consumption - is that I believe it is unselfish. At over 7.2 billion, we have no calling to perpetuate our race. The earth is groaning under our weight. Not only are there too many of us, but most of us have a dirty, greedy footprint. There is no disputing that overpopulation (and ceaseless consumption) is the single biggest cause of the hot soup - I mean global warming and its nasty consequences - we find ourselves in currently.

And any child I - part of the highly consumptive class - bring into this world, is frankly going to be this irresistible, cute little guzzler of water and nappies, food and fuel, vastly disproportionate to her/his diminutive size. As she/he grows, so will the wants - gear and gadgets, beer and burgers, car and bigger cars, home and second homes. She/he is going to consume electricity from Bhutan, coal from Australia, cotton that travels from India to Bangladesh to US, and then back. She/he will wash, wear, cook, create, travel, fly, achieveā€¦ All those things which make our hearts swell with pride, but cost the earth dear. There are enough mind-numbing statistics to support this, however this post is not about proving points.

Not having children is not a selfish, lazy, shallow decision. It does mean that us childfree types have guts to stick to our choice, bucking extreme social and every kind of pressure.

Comments, of course, contain the usual cesspool of "you should commit suicide, then" and "it would be better to have a child and teach that child to care about the environment." The stupid, it burns.
Re: Childfreedom is unselfish
July 14, 2018
Ahhh....there's something to be said for being rewarded in subtle ways for doing the right thing. I didn't have kids, not because I am selfish and materialistic, but because there were a number of valid reasons why I shouldn't. The most important reason for me, being that I don't like kids. The rewards of my decision are owning a great home, driving a Mercedes Benz, and having lots of free time to pursue the things I love.

As for those breeders who think CF people should commit suicide, it just speaks to their ignorance and low IQ. It's a reactive comment made out of jealousy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login