Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Employers to stay away from; related message board

Posted by catmeow 
Employers to stay away from; related message board
September 27, 2008
Here's the list of Working Moo's 100 Best Companies for 2008, which has a lot of familiar places. http://www.workingmother.com/web?service=vpage/3214

If you like message boards, take a look at this one related to the subject: http://people.boston.com/forums/jobs/advice/general/?p=discussiondetails&activityid=5477506305462440144.

Some of the comments are as nauseating as expected; take a look at the one by veggirl at 9/26/2008 9:45:00 PM.

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
I KNEW Bank of Amoorica would be on the list. I have a coworker whose wife works there. He's constantly bragging about how Bank of Amoorica pays for part of their daycare for their brat. One time I actually said to him, "so she's paid more because of her family status, not because of the work she does. That's not right." Left him stammering.

From the Working Moo site's description of B of A:

FLEX ABILITY To save commuting time and make the world a bit greener, this multinational company created the My Work program, which allows associates to work from home. The company will outfit a home office; alternatively, employees can work from a satellite office that’s fully equipped—even boasting a private room for nursing moms. Last year, tens of thousands of workers at all levels opted either to telecommute or flex their schedules.

TAKE LEAVE New parents receive up to 26 weeks of job-guaranteed time off, including eight paid.

GROOMING LEADERS The company provided management training to 66% of female employees last year. All told, 44% of all promotions to senior management last year went to women.

WHAT’S COOL Thinking about the planet, last year the company pioneered a reimbursement program offering $3,000 to any U.S. associate buying a new hybrid vehicle. Nearly 1,400 associates took the bank up on its offer.

So new breeders get an automatic eight weeks of paid leave...even if they don't have the vacation/sick time in the bank? That's all kinds of wrong, if a similar benefit isn't offered to everyone, which it probably isn't.

To their credit, they offer things like work from home or the hybrid vehicle reimbursement to ALL employees, not just breeders.

Still sounds like a company to avoid.
Re: Employers to stay away from; related message board
September 27, 2008
If Bank of Amoorica wants to "make the world a bit greener" and "think about the planet," the extra benefits should go to CF people--not to those who shit out resource drains.

I'm damn happy I don't do business with that bank!

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
September 27, 2008
I was considering renewing my 20 yearcertificate with Bank of Amoorica but now I am definitely looking someplace else to deposit my money. Jesus Christ, now breeders get eight fucking paid weeks off even if they haven't accrued it?! WTF?!

Goddamn moos don't put in the hours and don't do the work the CF do when they DEIGN to show up and they still get all these perks. Baby-boon bullshit!
September 27, 2008
catmeow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Bank of Amoorica wants to "make the world a bit
> greener" and "think about the planet," the extra
> benefits should go to CF people--not to those who
> shit out resource drains.

EXACTLY! Breeders are NOT green, by their very definition!
September 27, 2008
Medusa Wrote:
> catmeow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Bank of Amoorica wants to "make the world a
> bit
> > greener" and "think about the planet," the
> extra
> > benefits should go to CF people--not to those
> who
> > shit out resource drains.
>
> EXACTLY! Breeders are NOT green, by their very
> definition!

I AGREE! I don't care how many Coke cans they recycle, if they spawn ONE chyld then their efforts to conserve, recyle, etc.....can never be enough to balance it out over a lifetime. I can understand why that CF woman lied to her company and said she was adopting a chyld a few years back to get paid leave and other perks that the childed get. I don't remember how she got found out, but she had a picture of a kyd on her desk and everything and was treated like the childed for quite some time. She got to leave early, get paid leave after the adoption like moos get for mooternity leave, wasn't expected to work late, and her name was on the list for time off for holidays and other special occasions, where before she had been expected to work. Does anyone remember that? I'd like to look it up if I could remember where that it happened or something specific about it to Google.confused smiley

As for these "famblee friendly" businesses, they NEED to offer all of these perks to ALL employees, across the board. They are ignoring the needs of the CF, the ones who just haven't sprogged yet, the childLESS, the single people, and the empty nesters, which is an AWFUL lot of people to disregard for a big company. I would RAISE HELL if I wasn't given or offerred the same perks as the childed. Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit and nip this shit in the bud NOW, or yesterday.
September 28, 2008
Yep, kidlesskim, I agree. The childfree NEED to start organising, like, YESTERDAY...or even the day before that lol. Seriously, though, this shit needs to get challenged. The breeders need to learn that they are nothing special, that there are othe people in the world whose needs and desires equal theirs. They need to be pulled down off their high horse and the sooner the better.

Sorry about that CF woman. I would love to know who the shit is who ratted her out. People get pissed? Well, why is what she did any worse than the breeders who constantly steal time from work, get perks where everyone else is expected to EARN their pay don't get any, yada, yada.
Now I know why BoA pays squat interest on its checking accounts........all that $$ going to pay the damn breeders!
hot-tomato's comment at 3:33 PM on 9/26 is equally awful. The sense of entitlement these people have is nauseating.
September 28, 2008
And that sense of entitlement is only going to get worse until the CF start being more proactive and call them on this shit every step of the way. Not only depositors, but non-childed employees end up paying for all the benefits they feel so entitled to.

I don't know exactly how this should be done, but we need to have our own activism to counter this attitude and the ways in which it ends up screwing everyone else over.
September 28, 2008
I think it's funny that these companies throw $$ and time at breeder employees but they wouldn't give the same to a CF employees who needs those resources to take care of their elderly parents. Isn't one of breeders' favorite bingoes the "But who will take care of you when you're old?" Now we have a new comeback: "Not our children, because they won't be able to get the time off of work!"
September 29, 2008
I had a Bank of America credit card and when I heard they were giving cards to illegals, I called them up, ripped them a new one and closed my account.

For their information, breeding is not green.
September 29, 2008
I'm telling you! I'm going to keep a picture of my niece and nephew on my desk at my next job and update them accordingly.
September 29, 2008
How the hell could BREEDING ever be considered 'green'?! I didn't know about the illegals--will close my account as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
September 29, 2008
deegee Wrote:
> Now I know why BoA pays squat interest on its
> checking accounts........

there are many reasons not to patronise them.
September 29, 2008
A multitude of reasons!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login