Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teachers share why they quit their jobs

Posted by Cambion 
Teachers share why they quit their jobs
July 19, 2021
https://www.boredpanda.com/teacher-profession-became-bartender-discussion/

Who would have thought that dealing with awful brats and their awful creators for shit pay would suck so much? eye rolling smiley

Some of these former educators say they make much more working fewer hours than they did teaching. Others say they make less, but a less stressful job makes up for it. One guy's doctor straight up told him he should quit for his health.

I honestly hope this becomes more frequent - more teachers quitting and fewer young people entering the field of education (at least primary education). Let parents shriek about it and about having no one to mind their sproggen all day and then watch administrators scramble as they beg teachers to come back. Maybe everyone will appreciate teachers when they're all fucking gone.

I'm sure any parents who read those comments will be all offended too that these people would dare deprive future generations of an education because they can't handle being overworked and underpaid with daily verbal and sometimes physical abuse by students thrown in.
Re: Teachers share why they quit their jobs
July 20, 2021
I also would never ever drive a school bus again. It was rotten enough back in the 70's. I would not dare do that now.
Frankly, I think they should make the welfare sows get off their asses and work these busses as well.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
July 31, 2021
I'm making less. The job is demanding and the management is buttheaded lately, but there's way less stress in my life. Worth it.
July 31, 2021
I had a professor tell me I should consider teaching. I told her it didn't interest me as I didn't like children. She said, "Oh, no, I couldn't see you teaching anything lower than junior college."

I don't know if she was CF, but it wouldn't surprise me.
August 01, 2021
There's going to be a massive teacher shortage in a few years, especially in the public school system. Teachers are either going to 1.) go to private schools because the private sector always pays better, 2.) quit the career entirely, or 3.) become private tutors. I imagine there will be a boom in virtual homeschool businesses with teachers getting together and creating a new education industry.

The children of the upper-middle classes and above will be the ones who will benefit while the poorer kids will get shoved into ever-increasingly overcrowded classrooms with less and less funding.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan

"If you are the light of the world you will be seen. If you have to proclaim it you are not very well lit."
- Thom_C
August 01, 2021
and so it goes....

they can hardly toss the little cretins out anymore... I really think there will always be this undereducated hyper angry underclass who can't and/or won't do anything with their lives besides commit crimes.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
August 01, 2021
paragon schnitzophonic
There's going to be a massive teacher shortage in a few years, especially in the public school system. Teachers are either going to 1.) go to private schools because the private sector always pays better, 2.) quit the career entirely, or 3.) become private tutors. I imagine there will be a boom in virtual homeschool businesses with teachers getting together and creating a new education industry.

The children of the upper-middle classes and above will be the ones who will benefit while the poorer kids will get shoved into ever-increasingly overcrowded classrooms with less and less funding.

At least in the area where I taught, teaching in private schools was even WORSE than teaching in public schools. In my experience, public school teachers’ unions have a lot of problems and their teeth are not very sharp, but at least they can offer some small amount of protection. Contrast that with private schools, where teachers are not unionized and so are at the beck and call of the rich bitch breeders overlords. Required hours tend to be much longer. Wages are lower, because said rich bitch breeder overlords would prefer to see their tuition dollars go towards turf fields and fancy buildings, so that’s where the admins send it in order to keep the customers happy and the dollars flowing.

The one benefit to private schools seems to be that they tend to not accept the severe special needs cases, and it’s easier to see a bad kid get kicked out. Unless the bad kid’s parents are loaded, of course.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
August 01, 2021
I question about 99 percent of the things in my life, but one of the few I have never thought twice about was my refusal to go into teaching. You could not pay me enough to teach! Every single person told me that I "need" to teach because it's good money, not a full 8-hour day of work and I get summers, holidays and weekends off. Yeahhh teaching doesn't often pay well (not immediately anyway), but even if it did, what about the mental toll it takes? Does that not matter at all?

It's not like before where you could discipline a child and then the parents would discipline them at home too, instead of the current trend of Mommy stomping into the school to scream at the teacher for daring to punish her pweshus. If you had tenure years ago, you were practicaully invincible, but not anymore. Schools almost never have the budget for anything and if teachers want to be able to do their jobs, some have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets. Tards used to be kept corralled in their own exclusive tard toom with people specifically educated and trained on how to deal with them and now the tards are thrown in with the regular kids and non-special education teachers have to figure out how to deal with them. That's just the tip of the iceberg and I'm sure folks who work in the field of education could offer plenty more awful changes that have been implemented.

I imagine college isn't much better because the same spoiled little whiners from high school are just a little older. I never worked as an educator, but I did work in an elementary school as a piddly library aide and I know it was absolutely nowhere near as hard as being a teacher, but that little glimpse into working for a school district made me about 1,000 percent sure I never wanted to work in a school again. I know I shared that whole trainwreck of an experience here when it happened and dear lord it's still fresh in my brain.

Honestly, I worked for three hours a day and felt more exhausted from that than working full-time jobs. I hated that job so much that on my way to work every day, I'd go, "I could drive into that tree instead of going to work. I could drive into that tree instead of going to work. I could drive into that tree instead of going to work." Oh sure, I was making $14 an hour, but given how little I worked, that didn't really amount to much in a month. To be fair, sometimes it wasn't the kids who were the problem - it was the administrators putting me into impossible positions like "you MUST finish all your tasks before clocking out, but don't you DARE work a second past your scheduled clock out time, and don't you DARE leave work for the morning aide to do!" Most days that was feasible, but sometimes it wasn't and I got my ass chewed for not working off the clock for them.

I wish I could say I'd love to see the collapse of the educational system, but I know that it would have the worst impact on poor people. Like what paragon schnitzophonic said, education will probably become more privatized and low-income people won't be able to afford to hire private tutors for their kids and they sure as fuck won't want to home-school them (or won't be able to because of work). So there will probably be a big generation of totally uneducated and illiterate morons in a couple decades because no one will want to teach these rotten bastards that stupid people keep churning out.
August 02, 2021
At this point, I am on the point of suggesting that disabled children and about half of so called 'normal' brats should be euthanized. The Human race isn't redeemable, and should go the way of the passenger pigeon.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 02, 2021
LoveToLurk
At least in the area where I taught, teaching in private schools was even WORSE than teaching in public schools. In my experience, public school teachers’ unions have a lot of problems and their teeth are not very sharp, but at least they can offer some small amount of protection. Contrast that with private schools, where teachers are not unionized and so are at the beck and call of the rich bitch breeders overlords. Required hours tend to be much longer. Wages are lower, because said rich bitch breeder overlords would prefer to see their tuition dollars go towards turf fields and fancy buildings, so that’s where the admins send it in order to keep the customers happy and the dollars flowing.

This. I've heard the exact same things about teaching in private schools, most of which (don't forget) are religious-affiliated. Not only would you make less money with fewer benefits and poorer job security, but you'd have to subject yourself to morality requirements and all-around nosiness about your private life. You might also be expected to tithe or otherwise "donate" part of your already lower pay back to the school. The church might dictate what is taught and how in certain subjects, especially with fundies not wanting evolution (etc.) taught.

The grass isn't greener. If a public-school teacher makes, say, $50,000, a comparable private-school teacher might be making only $30,000–35,000. No, thanks.
August 04, 2021
kman
LoveToLurk

This. I've heard the exact same things about teaching in private schools, most of which (don't forget) are religious-affiliated. Not only would you make less money with fewer benefits and poorer job security, but you'd have to subject yourself to morality requirements and all-around nosiness about your private life. You might also be expected to tithe or otherwise "donate" part of your already lower pay back to the school. The church might dictate what is taught and how in certain subjects, especially with fundies not wanting evolution (etc.) taught.

The grass isn't greener. If a public-school teacher makes, say, $50,000, a comparable private-school teacher might be making only $30,000–35,000. No, thanks.

I avoided teaching in private schools for just these reasons. The pay is actually lower, no union protection or union-negotiated insurance rates, and teachers can be laid off/fired for absolutely any reason. Oh, and the entitled, shitty parents at private schools can be even worse that those in public schools, believe it or not...and parents were a major reason I left teaching.
August 04, 2021
randomcfchick
kman
LoveToLurk

I avoided teaching in private schools for just these reasons. The pay is actually lower, no union protection or union-negotiated insurance rates, and teachers can be laid off/fired for absolutely any reason. Oh, and the entitled, shitty parents at private schools can be even worse that those in public schools, believe it or not...and parents were a major reason I left teaching.

I suspect we could have an entire thread dedicated to schools: teacher experiences, bad parunt behavior and the crazy donation expectations for private and public schools.

I've heard that private schools aggressively hunt the parents for money. As in, tuition is the baseline. They expect lots of donations and put lots of pressure on them for it. All activities, etc. and they expect lots of contributions. There are private schools in my area that charge north of $40K. Can you imagine begging for more money from parents after they fork over $40K for school annually?

I don't know if it is to cover the scholarship kids but that has got to be incredibly annoying. At a certain rate a parent may as well hire a darn tutor.

Even public school fundraisers have gotten completely out of hand. By the 2020 holidays a family member had bought over 20 t-shirts for over 20 separate fundraiser events in less than 5 months out of a school year. They get the kids all excited to participate in something then expect freaking fundraisers (sometimes numerous fundraisers for one event).

I would guess that teachers are constantly put under pressure to help out with donations and time for fundraisers. That must be especially exasperating when a teacher has student loans to pay off (or just expenses from living in a wealthy area to avoid a hellish commute) and lives in a wealthy district and is still pressured to give money.

It doesn't help that there is the strange pressure for kids to participate in a thousand activities. As if any of them other than a fraction of a percentage have a chance at the Ivies where that kind of hair splitting used to occur. I've heard tons of activities are no longer a differentiator because they are now standard issue.
August 05, 2021
I worked for such a private school, in a blue-collar position. I can testify that their tuition must be close to that $40k figure. Yet all employees are guilted into contributing financially to the school. At least they TRY the guilt. And they claim that 100% of their graduates get into college. You and I know what that means! Everyone graduates short of committing a felony that comes to public notice. And everyone is steered to SOME college, whether or not they skated through high school courses. I saw this policy partially contribute to a graduate's suicide. Impossible expectations cubed! .
August 05, 2021
I read an article today that made me think “I’m so fucking glad I left teaching” and of this thread

It’s about color charts in classrooms. For the uninitiated, these color charts are popular in many elementary classrooms as a way to monitor behavior. It’s a big long chart with six or seven bands of different color, like a ladder, and every student gets a clothespin with their name on it. At the beginning of the day, everyone starts in the middle of the chart, usually green, for “ready to learn.” If they do something exemplary, they get to move their clothespin up the chart. If they do something shitty, they move down. Lots of times red is at the bottom of the chart, although I’ve seen it flipped so that red is the “best” color at the top. In my district there were never any real consequences until the pin got to red/the bottom. Yellow and orange were the steps above it to act as two warnings.

Basically, this kid is such a fragile snowflake that she is scarred for life by the fact that she had to move her pin down because she didn’t have a form signed, so of course the answer is to get rid of the chart. I did a quick google search, and it seems that there is an entire movement to ban the behavior charts because they’re “demeaning,” etc. God forbid kids have to face any sort of consequences at all for their behavior, even if it’s something as mild as moving their pin onto a yellow square.

How in the world are teachers supposed to control their classrooms if every little thing is considered “public shaming,” as the columnist put it? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/08/school-behavior-chart-care-and-feeding.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
August 05, 2021
reeniebessagain
I worked for such a private school, in a blue-collar position. I can testify that their tuition must be close to that $40k figure. Yet all employees are guilted into contributing financially to the school. At least they TRY the guilt.

Yuck. The expensive school you work at sounds like a joke reeniebessagain. I didn't realize it was all employees being guilted. The main point to working is to use the money you earn as you choose and need to do, not for your employer to try to pick your pocket...for the childrrrunnn...
August 05, 2021
LoveToLurk
How in the world are teachers supposed to control their classrooms if every little thing is considered “public shaming,” as the columnist put it? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/08/school-behavior-chart-care-and-feeding.html

I work with more than a few adults that would agree with this. And some of them are still unable to understand consequences themselves so why would they think it is anything but cruel to force the poor little childrun to face consequences?

I'm not sure what to do about this because the media pushes it. Consider purchasing stock in prisons, I guess?
August 05, 2021
LoveToLurk

Oh no that won't do, because forcing children to hold hands could be construed as violence and assault. bemused eye roll Teachers are just expected to find this magical medium where they can control students perfectly, but without consequences, punishments, behavior charts, time-outs, voice raising or use of the word "no," but also without expecting the bad students' parents to follow up with discipline at home or encourage better habits so the child gets into less trouble in school because amazingly, parents should not be expected to participate in their own kids' upbringing. I mean, is that so much to ask? bemused eye roll

As far as the behavior chart story, it sounds like that kid has an existing anxiety disorder that might be exacerbated by the charts, but that is not the school's fault. A kid that young doesn't develop anxiety on their own because of a fucking chart - my guess is one or both parents is severely fucked up or they live in a very stressful household. Three kids, one spouse with a chronic illness and tending to two sets of sick grandparents all under one roof. Yeah, I'm not surprised the kid's anxious. If the kid is that anxious that not doing so swell with her behavior chart makes her barf in the morning before school, she needs to be on medication, but since that would require actual PARENTING, the handlers would rather just campaign to put an end to all behavior charts in schools because their little dumpling has problems with them.
August 05, 2021

As far as the behavior chart story, it sounds like that kid has an existing anxiety disorder that might be exacerbated by the charts, but that is not the school's fault. A kid that young doesn't develop anxiety on their own because of a fucking chart - my guess is one or both parents is severely fucked up or they live in a very stressful household. Three kids, one spouse with a chronic illness and tending to two sets of sick grandparents all under one roof. Yeah, I'm not surprised the kid's anxious. If the kid is that anxious that not doing so swell with her behavior chart makes her barf in the morning before school, she needs to be on medication, but since that would require actual PARENTING, the handlers would rather just campaign to put an end to all behavior charts in schools because their little dumpling has problems with them.

I had the same thoughts. Sounds like the household is chaotic and the Moo is blaming the school and making that a big deal instead of looking at what kind of environment is in the home.

ETA, Slate is a gold mine of Breeder fail. Here's one where someone had a baby with a husband who was "never great at helping with housework or cooking" and now the Moo is shocked that he's not helping with the baybee either! openmouthed shock She wants advice how to establish "good habits" before she goes back to work. Good luck, because this guy really sounds like he's determined to get the Hell away from anything baybee related. She says he's gone from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 at night. beating with a lol hammer

Here's my advice: Maybe she should have bred with a different guy. And DO. NOT. HAVE. more baybees with this dude.
August 05, 2021
gone from 5:30 am to 8 pm or so???? hahahahhaha poooor stupid moocunt. bed. made. lie. she did not learn years ago??? bet this behaviour is nothing new, the more he avoids her, the nastier she gets. why come home to a bitchy moo.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login