Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo trying to milk her ex in the name of kids

Posted by freya 
Moo trying to milk her ex in the name of kids
December 14, 2023
Single moo went through a divorce five years ago which she describes as "terrible" and college tuition wasn't included in the agreement.
Now, she is considering spending $20-25K to take her ex to court to so that their two kids have the option to go to any school, I guess.
They have prepaid tuition plans for college in their state per the link.

If the divorce was so bad, why would she want to resurrect an argument that seems to have been resolved through prepaid tuition plans?
Wouldn't it make sense to ask her ex to see if he is open at all to making other arrangements instead of spending $20-25K on court costs to try to make him pay? I'd almost guarantee her ex fully expects their two kids to go in state per the prepaid tuition plans so he likely will not be amenable to paying out of state tuition.

It seems to me she'd be better off discussing this with the ex first. If he says no she could split the $20-25K she planned to use in court with their for their tuition. Maybe he'd be willing to up the amount he is paying into the prepaid college funds if it is needed. Kids could be warned they'll have help self-fund their educations if they plan to deviate from the original plan.

So happy to be childfree and able to divorce for less than $300 and it was amicable as could be expected.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/my-ex-and-i-went-through-a-terrible-divorce-five-years-ago-but-didn-t-settle-our-kids-college-expenses-how-do-i-make-him-pay-his-share/ar-AA1kF54G?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d9f7170574c64b60852826b1e05dc3b5&ei=60
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login